Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2023, 08:24 AM

82 posts, read 83,128 times

Advertisements

So I am going to get a replacement for a computer for a brand new one that actually is better than my old laptop and it just came out this year. I just found out that they also shipped my hard drive from my old laptop. Is this normal? Does this mean they already looked at my hard drive? Factory reset was performed several times already by them and me since the laptop had a problem with the touchpad and cannot be fixed. What should I do with the external hard drive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2023, 08:42 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,006,720 times
Don't understand. Do you mean the internal hard drive from your old computer?

Old 06-29-2023, 09:07 AM

82 posts, read 83,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Don't understand. Do you mean the internal hard drive from your old computer?

yea

Old 06-29-2023, 09:22 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,006,720 times
Without knowing the exact details of this replacement of a defective model, getting your 'old' drive back seems like a nice benefit. I don't know what I'd do with it myself. If my system had the physical space for it I might install it as a second drive. I've also heard you can get enclosures to make it function like an external drive, but I've never tried that.

Old 06-30-2023, 06:22 AM

5,117 posts, read 6,104,140 times
I would get a drive enclosure similar to this and use it as an external drive. I would by these when they were on sale and have a couple to use when putting in larger drives or whatever. It never hurts to have an extra external drive.
https://www.microcenter.com/product/...rive-enclosure

Old 06-30-2023, 08:05 AM

6,628 posts, read 7,355,332 times
They probably do not want any problems with retaining any of your "confidential" info so they return the disk. If you are missing some data on the new computer them it would still be on the old drive and your problem to get it to the new computer.

Old 06-30-2023, 10:26 AM

8,331 posts, read 13,470,099 times
They replaced your laptop but the IP (Intellectual Property iow personal data) can, and more than likely, still be there so it is a liability for them.
Because of that reason alone, it is smart for them to return it back to the user to prevent any such potential headache. That was a smart move for them. It also can be perceived as a "perk" by the customer.
So, it is a win-win for everyone.

I'd second what MidValleyDad said, use it to either clone your current system or, an external storage to backup personal data and even system images.

Old 07-05-2023, 10:32 AM

14,787 posts, read 8,126,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
They replaced your laptop but the IP (Intellectual Property iow personal data) can, and more than likely, still be there so it is a liability for them.
Because of that reason alone, it is smart for them to return it back to the user to prevent any such potential headache. That was a smart move for them. It also can be perceived as a "perk" by the customer.
So, it is a win-win for everyone.

I'd second what MidValleyDad said, use it to either clone your current system or, an external storage to backup personal data and even system images.

This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers