Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2023, 06:09 AM

32 posts, read 13,095 times

Advertisements

I find the sound level on laptops just don't cut it anymore.I went through all the possible fixes with no results the sound is just too low.I have tried boosting software without any good result.Has anyone got any ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2023, 08:55 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Get a USB sound card.

There are all price levels and capabilities, depending on your needs and preferences.

This one is pretty good.
https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs...dp/B06XBZ38ZJ/

Here is a listing on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/usb-sound-car...usb+sound+card

You could also get some kind of amp, speakers or headphones that boosts the volume for you.

Old 06-05-2023, 10:13 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times
Most laptop speakers suck. The Dell XPS 15 and 17 have decent speakers, the Precision 5000 series has decent speakers as well. Razer's tend to be decent, Macs too. That's about all I've seen.

If you want good sound from a laptop, use headphones with an external DAC or a Bluetooth speaker.

Old 06-05-2023, 10:51 AM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Harley, both answers could be applicable and the way to go depending on your situation.

Is this a new laptop or a new issue on an older laptop that once had decent sound?

As mentioned, laptops do not have very powerful speakers and either an amplified headphones or speakers would be the workaround.

If the sound was good but someone degraded, the problem could be even software based but sound/audio card could have also gone bad.

Besides the DC power plug and USB ports, Wi-Fi and sound cards are the only other two things that can go bad due to liquid spills, heat, power irregularities and time.

Use a pair of unamplified (simple) headphones, if the sound level seems good, the issue is NOT the audio/sound card but the speakers. If it was still low, the sound card is the issue. Either get an external sound card or get an amplified pair of speakers/headphones.

Old 06-05-2023, 12:12 PM

Its a new laptop I just purchased and I was disappointed with the sound right out of the box. At first I thought there was something wrong but it turns out sound just sucks on this one.I have noticed over the years that it has got worse.My first laptops had load volume listen to music no problem and as I bought newer ones the sound quality dropped they are made more for phone calls then listening to music on headphones now.Pretty disappointing there is no issue with it I am not a amateur I know computers well.

Old 06-05-2023, 12:17 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
I just use blue tooth head phones.

Old 06-05-2023, 12:20 PM

So if a buy them will it be loader I don't want to waste money.I tried the equalizer APO boosted it a little but at a cost of quality.
I have a feeling I can get it better I think it has to do with windows eleven keeping the default as a headset for phone calls I am still trying to figure it out.

Old 06-05-2023, 04:27 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyAmbrose View Post
So if a buy them will it be loader I don't want to waste money.I tried the equalizer APO boosted it a little but at a cost of quality.
I have a feeling I can get it better I think it has to do with windows eleven keeping the default as a headset for phone calls I am still trying to figure it out.
Software based boost/controls will never be as good as hardware based improvement, same thing goes with images/videos.

Is this a new headset/headphones you used before with good result or are they new as well?
Again, make sure it is not the output device the is lacking or the culprit (speakers/headphones).

Also, I forgot to ask, which connection are you using for your sound output USB or the round 3.5mm jack?

Key thing is, the output device being "amplified". Amplified sound output devices will always be more powerful than the standard ones regardless of the connection type.

Old 06-05-2023, 05:14 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,482,156 times
I have a 6 year old Dell XPS 13 and the sound isn't great. I use this speaker, it's small and it works well. I like non-bluetooth because I like to watch with closed captioning (yea, why do I need sound then lol) and with bluetooth the captions and the sounds were not totally synced on my laptop.
https://www.amazon.com/iHome-Portabl...5&sr=1-75&th=1

Old 06-05-2023, 06:30 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyAmbrose View Post
Its a new laptop I just purchased and I was disappointed with the sound right out of the box. At first I thought there was something wrong but it turns out sound just sucks on this one.I have noticed over the years that it has got worse.My first laptops had load volume listen to music no problem and as I bought newer ones the sound quality dropped they are made more for phone calls then listening to music on headphones now.Pretty disappointing there is no issue with it I am not a amateur I know computers well.

curious about the brand and price level
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers