Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 07:47 AM

16,581 posts, read 19,788,610 times

Advertisements

It could be something stuck in your history. You should clear your browser cache. Did I miss what browser you use?

The #1 way this gets activated is that some bad actor bought for example buys www.amazin.com. You typo it in...bam, they got you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2023, 08:49 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,509,497 times
In my experience most novice users do not type in many URLs which leads me to believe that it could also be a re-direct from a web site he is visiting and keeps visiting or an actual click that takes him to the scam "web site", the one that states your system is locked or whatever and to call a phone number. I have seen this MANY times over the years so I automatically recognize it. I put it in quotes because all it is is one web page, made to go full screen, disable any visible way to close. If you don't recognize this as the OP didn't, you would think your system is actually compromised.

This is why, all you have to do is close the browser, restart the browser but to make sure not load the previous session or you would be in the same situation. Easiest way to do that is through Task Manager. No need to pull the plug or press the power button as that could actually damage your system in certain situations.

Legit websites do actually get "infected" unless they have some kind of protection, most do fortunately. Intrusive ads could be another culprit, people click on them (I never do regardless) and the same thing happens. It could be they are not even actual ads but "click bait".

Last edited by gguerra; 03-30-2023 at 09:06 AM..

Old 03-30-2023, 09:58 AM

233 posts, read 192,893 times
Holding the power button on your PC and counting to 10 will force a shutdown. When you restart it will be gone. Then open up your browser and press Ctrl Shift Del and clear your browser info and you should be good to go.

Old 03-30-2023, 01:34 PM

33,585 posts, read 37,221,484 times
The site causing the last two phishing pop ups was from a link on facebook....crazybanter.com. Similar, but different from the first one, in that I was able to shut the browser to get rid of it. I'm tempted to call the fake microsoft number just to mess with them.

Old 03-30-2023, 02:21 PM

2,337 posts, read 2,590,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The site causing the last two phishing pop ups was from a link on facebook....crazybanter.com. Similar, but different from the first one, in that I was able to shut the browser to get rid of it. I'm tempted to call the fake microsoft number just to mess with them.
That's generally a really bad idea. I assume you're just joking.

Old 03-30-2023, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I checked the URL and it does show "suspicious" but everything else checks out. Seems fishy, lol.

You can check any website here. On this one, you have to enter the whole URL with the http:// in front of it.
https://www.ipqualityscore.com/threa...us-url-scanner

I find it a bit hard to believe that FB would allow a malicious link like that on their site but there it is.

Last edited by gguerra; 03-30-2023 at 02:45 PM..

Old 03-30-2023, 05:05 PM

33,585 posts, read 37,221,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I checked the URL and it does show "suspicious" but everything else checks out. Seems fishy, lol.

You can check any website here. On this one, you have to enter the whole URL with the http:// in front of it.
https://www.ipqualityscore.com/threa...us-url-scanner

I find it a bit hard to believe that FB would allow a malicious link like that on their site but there it is.
It was actually on this site. https://www.facebook.com/Surveee.org/

Old 03-31-2023, 07:28 AM

16,581 posts, read 19,788,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
No need to pull the plug or press the power button as that could actually damage your system in certain situations.
Sure, hypothetically. In reality, it so rarely ever causes damage, this is a non issue. Come on man. I've done this literally 100s of times if not into the 1,000s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
That's generally a really bad idea. I assume you're just joking.
It's actually not. These people have ONE agenda. Get logged in to your PC. Not get your phone number.
I had someone call me once "Hey, Vince...my husband is on the phone with Microsoft installing some screen share program...I'm not sure this is legit..."
"Why is he talking to Microsoft?"
"We got this popup on our..."
"Turn the computer off NOW."
It's not the phone call that's the problem...

Old 03-31-2023, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Sure, hypothetically. In reality, it so rarely ever causes damage, this is a non issue. Come on man. I've done this literally 100s of times if not into the 1,000s.
That's right, Come on man. I've seen systems many times not boot from unexpected shutdowns, power loss etc. even when you don't press the power button. I didn't dream this up, it IS reality.

I only do it as a last resort when a system is crashed and I have no recourse.

In a case like the OP's , all you have to do is close the browser from the task manager. If the task manager comes up normally the system is not locked or crashed. He may not have known that but that is the still the case. It was just a BS web page. Power button is overkill.

Any Windows OS with a registry (2k, XP and later) stands a chance at data loss or corruption with unexpected shutdowns. That may affect the ability to boot.

Things are getting a little boring around here, don't you think?

Last edited by gguerra; 03-31-2023 at 08:36 AM..

Old 04-27-2024, 07:53 AM

7,154 posts, read 12,713,112 times
Someone from the Best Buy Geek Squad told me to hit Control + Shift + Escape to get to task manager to go to end the particular task that's running the virus ...works for me every time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers