Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 06:08 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,346,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Did this guy ask you for your bank account or offered to send you a check?
Ah... It was remote access he wanted! Lol
What did you do? Happily said: yes?
I would just end the conversation. Actually I wouldn't pick up the phone in the first place. There was no need to call Brian.
It was a classic scam!
I knew it was a scam but figured I'd scare the hell out of him by putting a real MS guy on the line. Apparently it worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 06:09 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
So this guy calls me, out of the blue. Claims he's from Microsoft, says I'm getting a $150 refund for something I allegedly purchased some time back. Red flag #1 (I don't remember buying anything from Microsoft, outside of a $1200 laptop!) Goes on to say that I needed to turn on my computer, let him have remote access to "repair" some issues on my computer - Red Flag #2!
So I know an actual Microsoft guy. I mean someone who really works for Microsoft. I'll call him "Brian" (not his real name), so I put this guy on hold, call Brian and try to establish a three -way. I tell Brian what's going on, inform him that I have the guy on the other line. "Let me speak with him," he says.
I open the first line, make sure the caller is still there, "Hi, this is Brian, tech manager with Microsoft, and who may I be speaking with?" CLICK! The line went dead.

Anyone else ever gotten such a call?
About once every other month.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:09 PM

61,753 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Yeah. It did. Let's hope your friend Brian doesn't think you are gullible

I never had any of those calls. Perhaps because I use spam blocker.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:18 PM

17,597 posts, read 13,378,017 times
Microsoft NEVER calls!

Old 09-13-2018, 06:25 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,575,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
You haven't been contacted yet by a Nigerian Prince/President who needed your help with a bank transaction?

Shame!
How about the "very serious matter" that had my Mom thinkin I couldn't come home because the police were coming. Turns out that number was from South Carolina... I had to educate her about scams.

Googling the phone number told me everything she needed to know.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:49 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,362,856 times
No you didn’t. Microsoft calls no one. You got scammed.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:53 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,346,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
No I didn't get scammed. The guy tried to scam, but it backfired on him. Especially when he had a heavy Middle Eastern accent but claims his name as "Michael Smith" or some other all-too-common name!

Old 09-14-2018, 09:26 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,717,250 times
Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
And you apparently didn't read the post.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:35 AM

3,228 posts, read 1,608,633 times
I have an elderly friend who unfortunately fell for this scam, and she ended up going to the store to buy prepaid cards to pay the scam fee. They also installed software on her machine and gained access to her online banking. She lost a few thousand dollars.

Part of this scam was through a “maintenance” service she was paying for. She had a 1 year contract with them, and near the end of the contract it seems like the service guy ran his own side scam on her.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:22 AM

5,870 posts, read 11,934,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
I have an elderly friend who unfortunately fell for this scam, and she ended up going to the store to buy prepaid cards to pay the scam fee. They also installed software on her machine and gained access to her online banking. She lost a few thousand dollars.

Part of this scam was through a “maintenance” service she was paying for. She had a 1 year contract with them, and near the end of the contract it seems like the service guy ran his own side scam on her.
It really makes me mad when people prey on the elderly who are more vulnerable to these scams than your more savvy and younger users. The AARP magazine and bulletin are always posting articles about various scams and how to avoid them, but not everyone reads those. I wish there were a better way to help educate these older folks so they don't fall victim to the despicable people who prey on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers