Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 09:57 PM

421 posts, read 573,597 times

Advertisements

I do wonder how much this is costing the state. These teams aren’t coming for free and there’s a lot bigger, more populated cities they could have gone too. Could have easily used the stadium in Charlotte but there’s a reason why they are coming to Columbia. I imagine there was a lot of money involved
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2024, 03:42 AM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsm76 View Post
I do wonder how much this is costing the state. These teams aren’t coming for free and there’s a lot bigger, more populated cities they could have gone too. Could have easily used the stadium in Charlotte but there’s a reason why they are coming to Columbia. I imagine there was a lot of money involved
Yeah, I was wondering why they thought to come to Columbia. The only interest would be the draw f Charlottte nearby and the MLS mania (by American standards) there. So yes, I wonder what Columbia used to draw them here and how much. There hasn’t been one mention of that anywhere so far in any news covering this.

Old 03-01-2024, 06:56 AM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,615 times
An article in The State and a small excerpt that I think resonates for all of us to a certain extent:

“Putting its story out there is something Columbia leaders agree the city has struggled with in the past. Some have called it a self-esteem issue. Columbia is always being compared to Greenville and Charleston. It lags those cities in new development, and locals could debate for hours about where this city ranks for entertainment, shopping, dining and more. But Columbia leaders have worked hard to change that tune. “We’ve had a little bit of a pride issue, where people would undersell their own hometown — maybe because we may take it for granted or maybe because it’s kind of that old mentality of ‘this is all we can be,’ and I think that’s changing,” Bussells said.”

Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...#storylink=cpy

Old 03-01-2024, 10:11 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
I wonder if this is a test for USC and Columbia to see if we could handle pro level games. I would imagine it would be cool if The Carolina Panthers could play some games there. I mean William Brice is literally the size of a pro level stadium That would not only bring together the Carolinas more but the amount of money that would bring to Columbia to have More Professional teams playing here.
USC has often been accused of not wanting any other sports teams in the area as it would take from their fan base especially any ones whose season overlaps USC's.

Old 03-01-2024, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Yeah, I was wondering why they thought to come to Columbia. The only interest would be the draw f Charlottte nearby and the MLS mania (by American standards) there. So yes, I wonder what Columbia used to draw them here and how much. There hasn’t been one mention of that anywhere so far in any news covering this.
I’m sure there’s NDA’s signed. Cities pay out the ass to host sporting events. I’m sure we’ll eventually hear that it was an astronomical price. Wrestlemania brings in $120,000,000ish to its host cities. I imagine columbia will probably get around that much in return.

Old 03-02-2024, 09:09 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
An article in The State and a small excerpt that I think resonates for all of us to a certain extent:

“Putting its story out there is something Columbia leaders agree the city has struggled with in the past. Some have called it a self-esteem issue. Columbia is always being compared to Greenville and Charleston. It lags those cities in new development, and locals could debate for hours about where this city ranks for entertainment, shopping, dining and more. But Columbia leaders have worked hard to change that tune. “We’ve had a little bit of a pride issue, where people would undersell their own hometown — maybe because we may take it for granted or maybe because it’s kind of that old mentality of ‘this is all we can be,’ and I think that’s changing,” Bussells said.”

Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...#storylink=cpy
Yeah.. that pretty much sums up Columbia. Charleston-culture and tourism, Greenville- Business and outdoor recreation... Columbia.... Government and Higher Ed... which is nothing wrong but just doesnt stand out as much as the others . As a native I am guilty of criticizing the city... but its been out of love hope and optimism. I hope the city continues to do things to try and raise its profile and to bring new businesses and residents into the City. I think its been said on here before.. I think the key to that 1) tax rate for business development and 2) continue to develop promote and utilize the riverfront for both passive and active types of recreational activities.

Old 03-02-2024, 09:34 AM

935 posts, read 1,648,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
USC has often been accused of not wanting any other sports teams in the area as it would take from their fan base especially any ones whose season overlaps USC's.

But also, it's kinda tuff sitting between Atlanta and Charlotte, just ask Augusta. At least Columbia has the 80,000 capacity stadium and 20,000 seat gym, Aug does not. and THAT makes a big difference ...

Old 03-05-2024, 06:55 AM

518 posts, read 435,308 times
I hope that we don't end up having to foot the bill for some stadium. That never helps the city, only the biggest business owners. Team Owners get cities to subsidize their companies, and very little is returned to the cities. I remember George Shinn demanding a new Coliseum and then leaving town with the Hornets when he didn't get his demands.
We have too many of these Billionaires/Millionaires living off welfare without helping the surrounding areas.
Think of Las Vegas with the F1 Grand Prix, who made money? Was it the hotel workers? Or the hotel owners? The city subsidized the track and so much more.
And here in Columbia, USC doesn't share well with others.

Old 03-06-2024, 05:10 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post
I hope that we don't end up having to foot the bill for some stadium. That never helps the city, only the biggest business owners. Team Owners get cities to subsidize their companies, and very little is returned to the cities. I remember George Shinn demanding a new Coliseum and then leaving town with the Hornets when he didn't get his demands.
We have too many of these Billionaires/Millionaires living off welfare without helping the surrounding areas.
Think of Las Vegas with the F1 Grand Prix, who made money? Was it the hotel workers? Or the hotel owners? The city subsidized the track and so much more.
And here in Columbia, USC doesn't share well with others.
Columbia is just hosting a game; it didn't land a new sports franchise.

Old 03-07-2024, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Columbia is just hosting a game; it didn't land a new sports franchise.
Yeah. I don’t know where he got that idea from
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area