Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 07:08 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Hey all, I was looking for a thread to post about this referendum on Lexington county's penny sales tax but couldn't find a devoted thread on Lexington county stuff. So here we go...

Here's a nice article from The State about the Penny Sales tax referendum on November 8th of about 450 million (at least) to fix the roadways in Lexington county.

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...263875857.html

Here's an excerpt of some of the projects listed on the referendum:

-Corridor improvements on Meeting Street in West Columbia, including sidewalks, landscaping and parking.
-Improvements to Hope Ferry Road and Sunset Boulevard in Lexington.
-Realigning Mineral Springs Road connector to Hope Ferry Road in Lexington.

-Resurfacing Fish Hatchery Road from U.S. 321 to Friendship Court.
-Intersection improvements at U.S. 321 and Mack Street in Gaston.
-Improvements to Woodrow Street at Lake Murray Boulevard in Irmo.

One thing I didn't see mentioned was anything about the airport connector (I think it was to I-20?). I tried googling it but I couldn't find any information on it, although I recall there was a next step to improve connectivity to the airport. I understand that this would probably be extremely expensive and is more in the theoretical stage but does anyone remember the details on it?
I think you are talking about the Hardee Expressway.. I think that is what it was called until Hardee was arrested for prostitution, and I think bribery. He was a DOT commissioner and living which made the name change even more ironic. He really pushed for the project and when he went down no other politico wanted to be viewed as pushing "his project" . That plus the slew of other projects you just listed which probably affect the everyday Lexingtonian more so than the expressway likely spelled its death sentence. I would have tried to get it built from I-26 to Airport Blvd first and then had a nice causeway from there to the terminal.. But I guess that was $$ so they built the current segment first. It was also rumored that SCDOT didnt want to apply for a special federal earmark to finish paying for the project as this was around the time Congressman Wilson had his outburst during Obamas State of the Union. I dont know how true that is/was but given the current state of politics .... It wouldnt surprise me

https://www.wistv.com/2019/08/09/for...-prostitution/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2022, 12:25 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
I pass through the airport 2-3 times a week going from Oak Grove to Cayce to visit with family. I have never seen Airport Blvd to be busy other then the typical 5pm traffic. An Airport Exit off of I26 would be waste of money and at best would only help the air freight companies, not the traveler.

The Intersection of Sunset and Mineral Springs has been re-done. I do not see aligning it with Hope Ferry to be necessary as Mineral Sprigs being only one lane each way it will always back up at rush hour regardless of what road it is aligned to.

Old 08-15-2022, 08:47 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I pass through the airport 2-3 times a week going from Oak Grove to Cayce to visit with family. I have never seen Airport Blvd to be busy other then the typical 5pm traffic. An Airport Exit off of I26 would be waste of money and at best would only help the air freight companies, not the traveler.

The Intersection of Sunset and Mineral Springs has been re-done. I do not see aligning it with Hope Ferry to be necessary as Mineral Sprigs being only one lane each way it will always back up at rush hour regardless of what road it is aligned to.
Yeah.. I believe airfreight was the driving force behind it given UPS, FedEx and some of the Airports longer term expansion plans associated with industry...The times I have been in a rush to get to the airport for a flight .. the lights were the main reasons for delays as opposed to the traffic itself and even then they were not THAT bad

Old 08-18-2022, 12:23 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
I just saw there is a Ramen Noodle place opening in Lexington. Same strip mall as is Eggs Up, behind Rush's, and across from the Flight Deck. Got to try it.

Old 10-26-2023, 06:20 AM

403 posts, read 232,021 times
It appears a new Outback Steakhouse will be built in Lexington. I don’t know where it will be located but obviously 378 makes a lot of sense.

Old 10-26-2023, 06:24 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,263,906 times
It is going in the the building that housed O’Charley’s @ 5595 Sunset across from Home Depot. I have mixed feelings about it opening. It’ll be nice to have another option but I hope it doesn’t harm the large number of non-chain restaurants we have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area