Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2014, 12:50 PM

12,889 posts, read 18,741,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofCola View Post
Guys there seems to be rabid cheerleaders and gloom puffers but the truth is most Cola peeps are in the middleground . Obvi we'd like the development to succeed but we are also healthily skeptical and fearful of cost over runs fraud and corruption that tend to accompany pie in the sky developments that promise a panacea.
I see it merely as an obvious northeast addition to an existing large downtown footprint. The alternative is to let the buildings that are currently there rot and fall in, and that is unacceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 01:16 PM

119 posts, read 226,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
But there is no reason to keep going if you are a conservative republican person. It's already been approved and it's going to happen in this place. Dirt will be moving at the end of June and some site work has already been done.

And I bet you don't even live in city limits to really be worrying about paying for it.
You are a control freak. It is none of your concern what I talk about. You guys are forever saying we don't have any tax revenue but yet there is 41 mil set aside for a dumb baseball stadium most people don't care about. That is quite a magic trick.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Apparently you didn't see articles saying Greenville's city council had virtually no public backing when they voted to build Fluor Field. And you haven't seen how Greenville city leaders recently attributed the West End's development from a boarded up slum to what it is now to Fluor Field's having been built. The same story played out in Durham, NC. In the end you'll look back on what you've had to say about Columbia Common and disown your own words. Are you the engineer?
lol, West End is about the restaurants there and the falls park. Most people in Greenville don't go to those games. That is your assumption. Everybody goes to baseball games. Majority of people think baseball is boring to watch. It is my understanding that even the Drive still needs city assistance to exist because their ticket and food sales doesn't cover costs.

I won't disown anything. This is a huge waste of taxpayer money. You like wasting money on things you want. You will never apologize when this thing is a boondoggle. Even if it is a success, it was a waste of taxpayer money and it is just corporate welfare. The private developers should fund their baseball stadiums and developments, not taxpayers.

It is funny to me how Democrats like you guys always tout yourself as champions of the poor but you want to give some rich guys 41 mil to build a baseball stadium. You care more about going to a baseball game than helping the poor. Lot of kids in downtown Columbia will go hungry tonight but at least we got the money for a minor league baseball stadium. lol

They didn't even wait for the cost-benefit study to be complete prior to voting for this thing. We probably paid a ton for the cost-benefit study too and they didn't even wait on it. Just couldn't wait a whole 6 weeks. People can't wait 6 weeks for minor league baseball. lol

Last edited by Kale7; 05-25-2014 at 01:36 PM..

Old 05-25-2014, 01:38 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,844,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale7 View Post
You are a control freak. It is none of your concern what I talk about. You guys are forever saying we don't have any tax revenue but yet there is 41 mil set aside for a dumb baseball stadium most people don't care about. That is quite a magic trick.
You always say that someone's a control freak when you know that somebody else is speaking the truth and your input was not needed. Like I said it's already been approved and work will begin this summer which means that there is no more opposition needed.

The money is not upfront and will be payed over the years. And if nobody cared about it there would have not been any supporters or opposition to it, which there was. And last time I checked the number was still set at 35 mil. which the city would pay 29 mil. of and no more than that number will come from the city if there are any overages.

And I don't even like baseball in the first place but I will come to the MIXED-USE facility if there is an event that interest me.

And this open's up many jobs for people who are unemployed and can easily get troubled/struggling teens doing something good.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
You always say that someone's a control freak when you know that somebody else is speaking the truth and your input was not needed. Like I said it's already been approved and work will begin this summer which means that there is no more opposition needed.

The money is not upfront and will be payed over the years. And if nobody cared about it there would have not been any supporters or opposition to it, which there was. And last time I checked the number was still set at 35 mil. which the city would pay 29 mil. of and no more than that number will come from the city if there are any overages.

And I don't even like baseball in the first place but I will come to the MIXED-USE facility if there is an event that interest me.
No, you always try to silence people on here if they say things that you don't agree with. I'm obviosly making good points and some Democrats agree with the points that I'm making. This thing only passed by 1 vote so it isn't like it was universally supported.

It isn't asking too much for private developers to finance their own projects. The taxpayers aren't going to see the profits from this thing, they are.

Just because it has been approved doesn't mean it can't still be cancelled. I don't think anything like this must be written in stone.

There was no logical reason for them not to have waied on the cost-benefit study that taxpayers also paid for. They knew the cost benefit study wasn't going to benefit their case for the stadium so they went ahead and voted for it. That is irresponsible leadership by any measure.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:46 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,610,483 times
Well.........our resident troll is back.

This project will be a success for a number of reasons, 1. Hughes is a good developer. 2. Columbia is an underserved market in retail, hotel and in the coming years, office. 3. Like it or not, Baseball has brought life back into a number of cities....Greenville, Durham, Greensboro and others. Charlotte just opened the new Knights stadium in 3rd Ward next to Bearden Park and is averaging close to 10k fans per game. The stadium is not month or two old and developers are already buying land for 25-30 story apartments with ground floor retail. For the politically inclined, this adds revenue to the city which, depending on the investment, will have a positive payback for the city.

New that the Babcock is under contract is a big step forward. This project will be north of $50m which is serious money for most.

You could argue that this development will spread out Columbia more (which I don't necessarily buy) but to say it is a "boondoggle" is a joke.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:47 PM

As for Carolina Stadium, I am glad that minor league baseball is not using our facility.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Well.........our resident troll is back.

This project will be a success for a number of reasons, 1. Hughes is a good developer. 2. Columbia is an underserved market in retail, hotel and in the coming years, office. 3. Like it or not, Baseball has brought life back into a number of cities....Greenville, Durham, Greensboro and others. Charlotte just opened the new Knights stadium in 3rd Ward next to Bearden Park and is averaging close to 10k fans per game. The stadium is not month or two old and developers are already buying land for 25-30 story apartments with ground floor retail. For the politically inclined, this adds revenue to the city which, depending on the investment, will have a positive payback for the city.

New that the Babcock is under contract is a big step forward. This project will be north of $50m which is serious money for most.

You could argue that this development will spread out Columbia more (which I don't necessarily buy) but to say it is a "boondoggle" is a joke.
You are the troll, bro. Turn every thread on here into a Charlotte lovefest and your Democrat politics. You don't even live in SC but you come on here and tout higher taxes on SC residents and tell us what to spend money on. You spend all your time on SC forums but never shut up about Charlotte the generic office park city. Seems like occasionally you would want to post about Charlotte on the Charlotte forum.

You don't think anything is a boondoggle. That is how this country has massive deficits and debt. People like you. You apparently learned that money grows on trees at USC.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
As for Carolina Stadium, I am glad that minor league baseball is not using our facility.
I'd be surprsied if USC didn't want that rent money from a minor league team. That would be dumb.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale7 View Post
You are the troll, bro. Turn every thread on here into a Charlotte lovefest and your Democrat politics. You don't even live in SC but you come on here and tout higher taxes on SC residents and tell us what to spend money on. You spend all your time on SC forums but never shut up about Charlotte the generic office park city.

You don't think anything is a boondoggle. That is how this country has massive deficits and debt. People like you. You apparently learned that money grows on trees at USC.
You are just wrong. Cut your losses and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area