Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 06:50 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,664,964 times

Advertisements

In the two years I have lived in Columbia, I have never found the fares from CAE to be even near the lowest price I can get from CLT

Were someone else paying (my company, client, whomever) then I would always use CAE as it is convenient.

I have also used CAE for convenience over price.

That said, please do not pump suhshine up my butt about CAE being competative when it comes to price. It is far from it. Convenient, yes. Price competative, not even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 10:09 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,559,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
In the two years I have lived in Columbia, I have never found the fares from CAE to be even near the lowest price I can get from CLT

Were someone else paying (my company, client, whomever) then I would always use CAE as it is convenient.

I have also used CAE for convenience over price.

That said, please do not pump suhshine up my butt about CAE being competative when it comes to price. It is far from it. Convenient, yes. Price competative, not even close.
I usually compare fares with Charlotte, but I've only flown out of Charlotte about 10% of the time. $100 is nowhere near enough savings to drive 180 miles round trip or take a shuttle. My time is too valuable.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:04 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,018,343 times
for me and where I/we usually have to fly, several years ago CAE was quite competitive, but the last couple years many times it was not. But it does seem somewhat cyclical, as we were able to just book a pair of tix from CAE to MKE for Feb that were only $40 total over CLT to MKE.
Now when it is costing us 100-150+ more to use CAE, often i wont. But for 40 bucks?? Oh you bet i'm flying outta here lol.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:13 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,664,964 times
My Niece and her friend are here from Boston for a few days. They said flying in and out of CLT saved them close to $400 versus flying into CAE (from Boston). They rented a car in CLT for $125 (4 days) so they end up saving $275 plus have a car to use.

It is this type traveler (vacation, tourist, family visiting, etc.) that CAE is losing.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:29 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,559,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
My Niece and her friend are here from Boston for a few days. They said flying in and out of CLT saved them close to $400 versus flying into CAE (from Boston). They rented a car in CLT for $125 (4 days) so they end up saving $275 plus have a car to use.

It is this type traveler (vacation, tourist, family visiting, etc.) that CAE is losing.
They also spent more on gas and time. It doesn't make up the $275, but it makes it closer.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:10 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,264,361 times
Holy crap. I need to go to Orlando next month on a business trip and I can not find where any airline flies direct from anywhere in South Carolina to Orlando. I have to change planes in either Charlotte, Atlanta, or BWI. And don't get me started about the fares. Until this trip I have managed to find flights out of CAE that were competitive. Not this time. Cheapest I can find from here is a little over $500.

I can fly out of Charleston or Greenville for less than $200. Charlotte for around $400 although that will probably be a lot lower in April when Southwest starts flying direct from Charlotte to Orlando.

This is the kind of pricing that will have consumers altering their behavior. I'll still probably fly out of CAE but if I was taking my family we'd be heading up to Greenville.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:14 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,782,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
Holy crap. I need to go to Orlando next month on a business trip and I can not find where any airline flies direct from anywhere in South Carolina to Orlando. I have to change planes in either Charlotte, Atlanta, or BWI. And don't get me started about the fares. Until this trip I have managed to find flights out of CAE that were competitive. Not this time. Cheapest I can find from here is a little over $500.

I can fly out of Charleston or Greenville for less than $200. Charlotte for around $400 although that will probably be a lot lower in April when Southwest starts flying direct from Charlotte to Orlando.

This is the kind of pricing that will have consumers altering their behavior. I'll still probably fly out of CAE but if I was taking my family we'd be heading up to Greenville.
Not sure what you mean. Southwest and Allegiant have direct nonstop flights from Greenville-Spartanburg to Orlando.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:17 AM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post

There used to be a discount airline Alligiant that used to fly out of CAE and maybe Greenville to Orlando/Sanford (not to be confused with Orlando International) but I believe it folded because of lack of use.. since the airline is still in existance and services locations way smaller than CAE such as Hagerstown and Salisbury MD. I am often surprised that we dont have more flights to Orlando from here given that is ORLANDO.. but I have read in other forums that its just as easy to drive (for some) and therefore the numbers may not be there...

Incidentally, I flew into Orlando Sanford Airport and found it very similiar to CAE in terms of ease of use/access and certainly not as crowded at Orlando International... I believe it too is an international airport there was an international airline from the UK Landing there when I was there.... I say that to say you may want to check fares into it as well if you plan to rent a car anyway...

Old 01-23-2013, 09:36 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,018,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
. I am often surprised that we dont have more flights to Orlando from here given that is ORLANDO.. but I have read in other forums that its just as easy to drive (for some) and therefore the numbers may not be there...
.... I say that to say you may want to check fares into it as well if you plan to rent a car anyway...

i've heard similar thoughts from some in my 'hood, who go to Disney a couple times a year. With the full family, and wanting to have a car while they are there, they prefer to just drive the 6-8(?) hrs rather then fly, deal with baggage, and rent something later.

I could be wrong, but seems to me that those super cheap flights from CAE to Orlando were only on set days and times each week and not daily; if that was the case i could see that being a hurdle for some as well (again i could be wrong on that point) who maybe didnt have much flex for their travel dates.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:04 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,264,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Not sure what you mean. Southwest and Allegiant have direct nonstop flights from Greenville-Spartanburg to Orlando.

When I went to their webpage Southwest had their Greenville to Orlando flight connecting in BWI. I didn't know about Allegiant (Travelocity didn't show them) but after going to their website they have no seats on the days I need to travel and no wonder. The round trip (direct) would have been just over $100. WOW. I've never flown them but they are on my radar now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area