Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 12:18 AM

1 posts, read 9,923 times

Advertisements

I had the worst experience with Montalbano in Columbia. Katie was especially unbearable during these times, and I barely got through. Columbia is an awful place to live and Katie would let you know that. Slow, unimpressive and not very attractive place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 07:41 AM

12,927 posts, read 18,778,463 times
Who are Montalbano and Katie? Maybe she's impressed by the wrong things in life.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:51 PM

The Hilton Columbia has achieved a AAA Four Diamond rating. Hospitality, attention to detail and general high quality are important components of reaching this status. It's location next to South Carolina's only downtown convention center set the bar high from the beginning.

Hilton achieves Four Diamond rating | www.thecolumbiastar.com | Columbia Star

Old 05-28-2011, 04:59 PM

My partner and I went to Yesterday's in Five Points for a drink this afternoon after eating on Main Street in the Sheraton cellar. Not only did Yesterday's, but Five Points in general had its own vibe going on. There was a man eating dinner next to my partner at the bar, and it was clear he is a Five Points/Yesterday's regular. He don't study Main Street or the Vista. For him it's Five Points. He appeared to be in his 60s. Walking and then driving around Five Points after Yesterday's, it was clear to us that this funky urban village has a mind of its own and is thriving very well. The fountains, trees, shrubs and flowers were just as lush and beautiful as they could be, and people were walking up and down the sidewalks and hanging out in front of bars and restaurants on every street. We're really going to have to frequent Five Points more often. BTW, the bartender at Yesterday's was lively, pretty and sweet.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:35 AM

Columbia's ballet guru William Starrett has opened a clothing store on Lincoln Street in the Vista between Starbucks and Cupcakes. Something tells me this will be the honey that stuck on the wall. He is a tenacious hard worker. Shop local.

http://www.thestate.com/2011/06/10/1853049/starrett-en-pointe-with-vista.html (broken link)

Old 06-10-2011, 07:05 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofCola View Post
You'd think non-upscale in-town. The Gap at Harbison is tiny and they'd do fantastic business if they opened up on Harden across from the Chick-fil-a in that large vacant space next to Saltys (912 Harden). There are a few isolated incidents of intown retail like the Jos A Banks and Steinmart in Trenholm plaza and the Talbots on Forest drive as well. But not enough in a clump together to create an intown shopping area.
Columbia used to have very upscale shopping in town. There used to be a Macy's on Main Street back when Macy's was actually upscale. There were also very nice boutiques in Five Points and spread out in Shandon. This was back in the 1980s when The Vista was a dump and the only stores there were Whit-Ash and Mais Oui.

Actually, Motor Supply and Hennessys were also there.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:22 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,672,427 times
I have always viewed 5 Points as a younger, college, aging hippie, smoke a joint, funky, t-shirt wearers, attractive coeds vomiting in the gutter area on Friday night....my kind of place. That said, it is losing its uniqueness as the "chains" (Walgreens like) move in. Sorry to see that.

The Vista I view as yuppie, social climbers, business types, upmarket, men in pink polo shirts, MILF's, BMW's, BMW wannabe owners....also my kind of place, but quite different then 5 points.

You want funky...show that you are hip/young...go to 5 Points.

You want nicer...show you are an earner/maturing...go to the Vista.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:31 PM

257 posts, read 327,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
I have always viewed 5 Points as a younger, college, aging hippie, smoke a joint, funky, t-shirt wearers, attractive coeds vomiting in the gutter area on Friday night....my kind of place. That said, it is losing its uniqueness as the "chains" (Walgreens like) move in. Sorry to see that.

The Vista I view as yuppie, social climbers, business types, upmarket, men in pink polo shirts, MILF's, BMW's, BMW wannabe owners....also my kind of place, but quite different then 5 points.

You want funky...show that you are hip/young...go to 5 Points.

You want nicer...show you are an earner/maturing...go to the Vista.
I largely agree with those assessments, although you can find "funky" in the Vista and "mature" in Five Points, just on lower levels.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:59 AM

Here's a picture from The State showing Renaissance Plaza on Lady Street in the foreground and Columbia's "other skyline" in the background. The pic was taken during the late fall or winter.

http://media.thestate.com/smedia/2011/06/13/19/03/7Ss0e.St.74.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-14-2011, 08:13 AM

8,249 posts, read 13,375,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Here's a picture from The State showing Renaissance Plaza on Lady Street in the foreground and Columbia's "other skyline" in the background. The pic was taken during the late fall or winter.

http://media.thestate.com/smedia/2011/06/13/19/03/7Ss0e.St.74.jpg (broken link)

Ah.. the good ole Strom Thurmond Building rising majestically in the background. Columbia probably had most of its skyscrapers built in the 1960s through the 1970s. There are quite a few buildings that resemble the Strom Thurmond Building in Columbia's skyline... that very "institutional style" look.. The Jefferson Center, many of the USC highrise dorms like Capstone, the senior development in Five Points, and several condo buildings..Matther Hall at Benedict... and several of the public senior housing buildings that are decked out in red brick facades.. Must have been an interesting time for "intown" growth back then...I think the City's intown population only began to decline in the late 70s and early 80s as did many cities in the SE..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area