Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 10:10 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,336,173 times

Advertisements

You'd think non-upscale in-town. The Gap at Harbison is tiny and they'd do fantastic business if they opened up on Harden across from the Chick-fil-a in that large vacant space next to Saltys (912 Harden). There are a few isolated incidents of intown retail like the Jos A Banks and Steinmart in Trenholm plaza and the Talbots on Forest drive as well. But not enough in a clump together to create an intown shopping area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 11:12 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofCola View Post
You'd think non-upscale in-town. The Gap at Harbison is tiny and they'd do fantastic business if they opened up on Harden across from the Chick-fil-a in that large vacant space next to Saltys (912 Harden). There are a few isolated incidents of intown retail like the Jos A Banks and Steinmart in Trenholm plaza and the Talbots on Forest drive as well. But not enough in a clump together to create an intown shopping area.

True.. I guess I meant more in terms of style of center than actually stores..something visually attractive and a place where people would want to come congregate and shop.....but not just a "strip mall" or the current "big box" with a sea of parking

Old 02-11-2011, 04:20 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
What does not make sense is that you are surfing their store site and trying to make a store closing into a black mark for Columbia. What about the restaurant closings? What about Proterra? Do you have any other information other than what is on wikipedia? If that is all you have, then let's get back on topic.
Proterra Attracts New Investment - Greenville News Story - WYFF Greenville (http://www.wyff4.com/news/26823391/detail.html - broken link)

Old 02-13-2011, 08:49 AM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
gsupstate, do some research and name another MSA Columbia's size with the same median income and as large a percentage of blacks that has the chains the presence of which you think make Greenville great and the absence of which you think make Columbia suck. And why would you spend so much time obsessing and writing about the (unknown) reasons stores aren't in Columbia or close here instead of taking the time to call those corporations so they can tell you why and you can report back to these threads? Someone's got too much time on his hands. If you make the calls and tell them you live in Greenville but want to know why they aren't in Columbia they'll think you have too much time on your hands, too. Maybe the CEOs of the chains you love are hard line Republicans, as many business owners are, and stay away from metros with such a large number of people who vote Democrat, black or white. Maybe they like ice better than summer humidity. Who knows? Please, by all means find out for us.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:50 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Well I've never thought of Columbia as liberal.....especially considering it is the only place in South Carolina where I have ever been called "fa**ot" just walking down the street. But, many boosters on these websites paint Columbia as a liberal oasis since it votes Democratic. I see it as a blue area only because of the high black population, since about 95% percent of black people vote Democratic.

It is telling that an area like Five Points can not sustain national retail along the lines of AA. It does show a lack of a key demographic in the area. Truth be known, I'm sure the 4 or 5 shootings in the immediate Five Points area over the last year haven't exactly helped the areas image, beyond a college bar type area image.
Let's see...Richland County's and Columbia's registered voters are about 40% black so your argument doesn't hold weight there - Richland votes at least 60% Democratic in national elections and more in state-wide. Why is Columbia a liberal oasis? One of the only sheriff's departments in the south that recognizes the diversity of the county and backs it up with liaison offices to different parts of the community, including the gay and lesbian community.

Let's see...the city has anti-discrimination laws that include sexual orientation in areas of employment, public accommodations, housing, etc. Charleston only has a law covering employment and no other city in the state has anything. Greenville County passed a resolution basically stating that gay people were not welcome there. As far as you being called a name here, I'm sorry that happened, but that can happen anywhere in the country. In Greenville it came from thousands of people.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:00 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Let's see... I just deleted 61 posts because the American Apparel store was closed. It had nothing to do wth the OPs question - but AA is the anatomy of how to quietly hijack a thread. We wandered into economiocs 101, Columbia and tried to turn this hi-jacked thread into another hi-jacked thread with an Us vs Them comment or two or three. Who cares? What happened to the OPs quesion? Instead of a discussion the question is basically unanswered and relegated to two pages of gibberish that is not particulary helpful except in a general way.

Here's the new rules: Stay on Topic.
If you don't like it, don't post.
If you want to debate cities? There is a forum for it.
Wanna talk politics? Theres is a forum for it.
Wanna debate the merits of black vs white? Try the Great Debate Forum
Wanna discuss religion and sexual orientation? There is a forum for that, too.
Wanna discuss Greenville? Go there; KEEP IT OUT OF COLUMBIA.

~ Moderator

Last edited by linicx; 02-13-2011 at 09:09 PM..

Old 02-14-2011, 05:32 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
What is the difference? Which is better? What can you tell me about both places? Crowd? Vibe? Nightlife? Restaurants?
Five Points is a college bar area, lacks national retail and has crime issues (4 shootings in the past year). The Vista is probably a better choice of a place to go, more restaurants, though it isn't exactly pedestrian friendly and lacks national retail as well.

A few articles about Five Points:
http://gandbmagazine.com/mag/feature...needs-pictures
http://www.wistv.com/global/story.asp?s=12863823
http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12536088

Last edited by gsupstate; 02-14-2011 at 05:42 AM..

Old 02-14-2011, 07:46 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
I know that Police cant be everywhere all the time.. but the last time I went down to Five Points in the evening (and its been a while) there were cops all over the place. Has that changed? If so, the Five Points merchants association should pony up some money for some additional patrols in the area. CPD should certainly have data on the various crime trends in the area..(i.e. crime goes up when it gets warm and when USC is in session. Certainly you cant stop the average college beer induced brawl.. (thats just part of college life) but when gun play or knives start to get drawn ( and I dont mean in pencil).. thats a entirely different ball game. Whatever happen to the cameras that were supposed to be installed? Was that ever done?

Old 02-14-2011, 12:45 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
There haven't been any shootings since the police department stepped it up in Five Points. The shootings that occurred were in the late night on dark streets that are removed from the entertainment district. It seems to have quieted down. Local retail is better.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:56 AM

191 posts, read 502,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Let's see... I just deleted 61 posts because the American Apparel store was closed. It had nothing to do wth the OPs question - but AA is the anatomy of how to quietly hijack a thread. We wandered into economiocs 101, Columbia and tried to turn this hi-jacked thread into another hi-jacked thread with an Us vs Them comment or two or three. Who cares? What happened to the OPs quesion? Instead of a discussion the question is basically unanswered and relegated to two pages of gibberish that is not particulary helpful except in a general way.

Here's the new rules: Stay on Topic.
If you don't like it, don't post.
If you want to debate cities? There is a forum for it.
Wanna talk politics? Theres is a forum for it.
Wanna debate the merits of black vs white? Try the Great Debate Forum
Wanna discuss religion and sexual orientation? There is a forum for that, too.
Wanna discuss Greenville? Go there; KEEP IT OUT OF COLUMBIA.

~ Moderator
Weak. Censorship is not cool. Just b/c it's not pretty, doesn't mean it's not good information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area