Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 08:40 AM

365 posts, read 215,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
If you're interested in living ones, rather than dead ones (and I prefer them dead, myself), it would depend on what aspect of them interests you. Sociology, anthropology, and psychology all take very different approaches to their human subjects.
As I said, I'm interested in their professional experiences and motivations....and what people who practice these professions tend to have in common in terms of their psychological characteristics and background.

Old 01-11-2024, 08:41 AM

867 posts, read 721,273 times
I'm an art historian, yes.

Old 01-11-2024, 08:46 AM

Look for fairly recent books, or articles in academic journals, on the subjects that interest you and investigate the academic background of their authors. Also see if there are any experts in those areas at universities or colleges that you can visit. You could also reach out to others who are farther away, but in a situation like this a face-to-face discussion, after you've done some "homework" and know a little bit about the subjects that interest you and why, can be more helpful.

Old 01-11-2024, 09:51 AM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
We have too many phd's in the US. There aren't enough positions to justify it.

My son loved his history major! He loves reading and analyzing facts. He pieces together historical facts like other people do jigsaw puzzles. He's a wiz at foreign languages. He does research in the original language to compare to the US news stories.

If this is how your mind works, it's a great subject. However, don't expect to earn a living doing straight historical work.

Old 01-11-2024, 11:05 AM

5,456 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Ethnography, which is a subset of anthropology. Then sociology, history, psychology, roughly in that order. There is some overlap among all these disciplines. By contrast, there seems to be minimal overlap among your three areas of interest, lol.

Good luck

Old 01-11-2024, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Ethnography, which is a subset of anthropology. Then sociology, history, psychology, roughly in that order. There is some overlap among all these disciplines. By contrast, there seems to be minimal overlap among your three areas of interest, lol.

Good luck
Does ethnology entail the study of individual professions a lot then?? I wouldn't have thought so...especially compared to the three fields that I mentioned.

Old 01-11-2024, 01:27 PM

22,558 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronas View Post
Does ethnology entail the study of individual professions a lot then??
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnography

Old 01-11-2024, 01:27 PM

You say you're interested in their motivations, which might make psychology the best fit. You'll learn about human behavior, including motivation, in general, which would allow you to someday apply it to those specific subjects, although you might find yourself on a path looking at the psychology of work/workers in general.

As Matt points out, there isn't much commonality among those three! I am curious about what draws you to them. Do you have relatives with those careers?

Old 01-11-2024, 01:43 PM

5,456 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronas View Post
Does ethnology entail the study of individual professions a lot then?? I wouldn't have thought so...especially compared to the three fields that I mentioned.
Ethnography is defined as 'the in-depth study of a particular cultural group.' If you were to undertake an ethnographic study of any of your three groups of interest, you'd find yourself 'out in the field', embedded with monks in a monastery, nurses in a hospital or clinic, or mathematicians at the Santa Fe Institute or something, hah. I'm no anthropologist but to my knowledge ethnographic studies are more typically done in tribal settings throughout the world. There's a tribe in Kenya whose name escapes me right now who are often subjected to visits from academics. But I think any identifiable subculture, domestic or foreign, is theoretically eligible for ethnographic analysis

Old 01-11-2024, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Ethnography is defined as 'the in-depth study of a particular cultural group.' If you were to undertake an ethnographic study of any of your three groups of interest, you'd find yourself 'out in the field', embedded with monks in a monastery, nurses in a hospital or clinic, or mathematicians at the Santa Fe Institute or something, hah. I'm no anthropologist but to my knowledge ethnographic studies are more typically done in tribal settings throughout the world. There's a tribe in Kenya whose name escapes me right now who are often subjected to visits from academics. But I think any identifiable subculture, domestic or foreign, is theoretically eligible for ethnographic analysis
Yes, I thought ethnography was strictly about ethnic groups. How common is it for an ethnographer to study other types of identifiable subcultures as you put it and more specifically professions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities