Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2023, 10:12 AM

10,716 posts, read 5,655,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrews12 View Post
She doesn't have her Bachelor's yet...she won't have it for another year and a half.
The process is called a "Reverse Transfer" and is commonly done.
She wants to have her Assoc Degree on her resume now while she is seeking a part-time job...or for internships. It actually is helpful in that regard.

I'm just wondering whether she should speak to someone higher up in the chain to finalize this. We never expected it would take this long. It's been more than 3 months.
How many CC credits and University credits does she have?

Are you SURE that she has met the established reverse transfer requirements for her state? I wouldn’t rely on information from an advisor about this. Higher Ed advisors are frequently wrong about a lot of stuff.

If you’ve independently verified that the actual requirements have been met, you need to get with the Registrars Office at the CC. Not an advisor, not the Dean. Make an appointment with the Registrar.

You may find that the only issue is that they’re slow. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2023, 10:36 AM

8,660 posts, read 3,856,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Are you SURE that she has met the established reverse transfer requirements for her state? I wouldn’t rely on information from an advisor about this. Higher Ed advisors are frequently wrong about a lot of stuff.
A degree is issued from the last college in which the program/requirements were met. Hence the reason it makes sense for some students to start at a community college and transfer to a four-year/higher-tiered school for the degree.

Quote:
If you’ve independently verified that the actual requirements have been met, you need to get with the Registrars Office at the CC. Not an advisor, not the Dean. Make an appointment with the Registrar.
At the postsecondary level, parents have no inherent rights to access or inspect their child's education records. Hebrews12 should not be making an appointment with anyone, lol.

Old 12-29-2023, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
A degree is issued from the last college in which the program/requirements were met. Hence the reason it makes sense for some students to start at a community college and transfer to a four-year/higher-tiered school for the degree.
Do you really think you need to try to school me on this? What did I post that leads you to that conclusion?

Quote:
At the postsecondary level, parents have no inherent rights to access or inspect their child's education records. Hebrews12 should not be making an appointment with anyone, lol.
OMG. I’m giving advice on the best way to get meaningful information about this. I understood the OP to be concerned about the situation their child is in, and I offered advice on a potential path to pursue. I would expect that the student, as an adult, will be spearheading any action, rather than the OP. However, in this thread, we’re communicating with the OP, and not their child.

I am very well aware of FIRPA requirements, and nowhere did suggest that the OP should seek to violate those requirements.

SMDH. . .

Old 12-29-2023, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Do you really think you need to try to school me on this? What did I post that leads you to that conclusion?.
I’m not schooling you (or sniping); I’m simply responding to your question (and the OP). I don’t know why my (polite) post was removed (and yours remained); it’s helpful information for the OP. Hence, I’ll try it again.

My point is, you continue to encourage him/her re: an appointment regarding his daughter’s degree from her previous (community) college when she clearly transferred and completed the program’s requirements elsewhere. It is her current school that would issue a degree, if applicable (and would be preferable anyway).

Old 12-30-2023, 11:03 AM

Quote:
My daughter attended a community college for a while, then covid hit, she continued classes there online then left to take a job for a year, then transferred to a state University (same state) and is in the process of finishing up her Bachelor's degree.
Quote:
She wants to be done with this and put her AA degree on her resume.
What type of job is she seeking? An AA is fairly insignificant unless ‘some college is preferred’, particularly if she’s working toward a Bachelor’s relative to a specific field.

Old 01-11-2024, 09:10 AM

174 posts, read 132,332 times
Default ***Update***

Just wanted to give a brief update--

The community college did formally graduate her with an AA degree, with honors because she has a 4.0 gpa.
She will receive her diploma in the mail in the coming weeks. It will help her when she applies for internships while she is finishing up her Bachelor's degree in Math in 17 months. Also, it's a milestone that motivates her since her studies were interrupted during covid.
For anyone not familiar with this process here is some information:
https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/l...sociate-degree

Old 01-11-2024, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Her AA really doesn't matter now that she has a Bachelors, right?
Exactly! It’d be a different story if she were not pursuing the bachelor’s degree.

Quote:
Just wanted to give a brief update--

The community college did formally graduate her with an AA degree, with honors because she has a 4.0 gpa.
She will receive her diploma in the mail in the coming weeks.
Again, what type of job is she seeking that it was contingent on such? Your OP made it appear as though she transferred to pursue her bachelor’s degree (and was almost finished) relative to the same course of study. As such, it wouldn’t be necessary for an internship i.e. there’d be no distinction made.

That said, she should have access to it online (as well as courses and credits relative to both schools).

Old 01-11-2024, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Exactly! It’d be a different story if she were not pursuing the bachelor’s degree.

Again, what type of job is she seeking that it was contingent on such? Your OP made it appear as though she transferred to pursue her bachelor’s degree (and was almost finished) relative to the same course of study. As such, it wouldn’t be necessary for an internship i.e. there’d be no distinction made.

That said, she should have access to it online (as well as courses and credits relative to both schools).
Did the OP say that the AA was necessary for her to get an internship? Or are you saying some else?

After your previous insistence that she wouldn’t be getting an AA from the community college, after transferring to the university (which is now shown to be wrong), it’s unclear what point you are arguing. . .

Old 01-11-2024, 11:35 AM

Quote:
After your previous insistence that she wouldn’t be getting an AA from the community college, after transferring to the university (which is now shown to be wrong), it’s unclear what point you are arguing. . .
My point (relative to the thread) is that employers are more interested in the most recent/advanced degree (and obviously most would choose to earn the degree from the better school); it’s why folks transfer, lol. That said, I can’t think of any internship scenario in which an AA, literally in-hand, would be necessary. Hence the reason I asked the OP, out of curiosity.

Old 01-11-2024, 11:46 AM

Quote:
My point (relative to the thread) is that employers are more interested in the most recent/advanced degree (and obviously most would choose to earn the degree from the better school); it’s why folks transfer, lol. That said, I can’t think of any internship scenario in which an AA, literally in-hand, would be necessary. Hence the reason I asked the OP, out of curiosity.
If the OP said that the AA was necessary for an internship, I missed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities