Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 01:26 PM

6,083 posts, read 9,124,662 times

Advertisements

With Spring Football here, and conference realignment always being a relevant subject, I thought I would get the conversation started on the Super League. The idea of the Power 4 -ish breaking away from the NCAA in football and creating a NFL style league has been floated around recently. What are your thoughts on this idea, and how would you set it up?

I personally don't see it happening. The "Power 2" have too much leverage over the rest of college sports. The advantage of making more money is too important for the B1G and SEC for them to sign up for a format that puts them on a level playing field. The whole point of the conference system is to gain a monetary edge over each other. Why would Alabama and Ohio State want to bring Cincinnati and Wake Forrest back up to their level?

With that being said, here's my proposal for a football only Super League.

- 64 teams / 8 Divisions / 8 teams in each Division
- 12 team schedule / 7 divisional games / 4 cross-divisional games / 1 NCAA game (Remaining FBS)
- 16 team playoff / 8 auto bids for division champions

The remaining FBS schools would have their own league with playoff and championship.

East: Syracuse, Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech, Virginia

Southeast: North Carolina, NC State, Clemson, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Miami, Florida State

Dixie: Kentucky, Louisville, Tennessee, Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, LSU

Rust Belt: Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Perdue, Illinois, Northwestern, Notre Dame

Central: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri

South Central: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor, TCU, Arkansas, Houston

Mountain: Texas Tech, Colorado, Utah, BYU, Arizona, Arizona State, Boise State, Washington State

West: San Diego State, USC, UCLA, California, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington

Each Division would have a "Little Brother Division in the remaining FBS. Every three years, relegation would take place and the bottom from each division (8 schools total) would be sent to play in the lower league. Likewise, the top from the lower league (8 total) would find new homes in the top league. The average of three seasons is taken to determine which team qualifies to move up or down. I won't bother making the lower divisions, but they too would be geography based.

I believe my league keeps geography in mind, rivalries a priority, and is as balanced as I could get it.

Obviously there are a few regions that are loaded (ie: Dixie and Rust Belt). But with an at large system, it should balance out in the playoffs.

Last edited by Chriscross309; 04-10-2024 at 01:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2024, 01:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,592 posts, read 81,279,384 times
While that makes sense for a lot of reasons, especially environmentally with far less team travel, no, it won't happen. The real reason is money, and television contracts. Now that we have the NIL and the transfer portal, the whole college football "industry" has been thrown into turmoil, and there will have to be a lot of changes to sort it out. Last year 136 FBS scholarship quarterbacks entered the transfer portal, and the NIL offers will only make that continue or grow. There will be no stability, no way to build a successful team, as the best are constantly leaving for a better deal. It's almost like NFL football or MLB baseball if every player was a free agent every year.

Old 04-10-2024, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
While that makes sense for a lot of reasons, especially environmentally with far less team travel, no, it won't happen. The real reason is money, and television contracts. Now that we have the NIL and the transfer portal, the whole college football "industry" has been thrown into turmoil, and there will have to be a lot of changes to sort it out. Last year 136 FBS scholarship quarterbacks entered the transfer portal, and the NIL offers will only make that continue or grow. There will be no stability, no way to build a successful team, as the best are constantly leaving for a better deal. It's almost like NFL football or MLB baseball if every player was a free agent every year.
Agree completely. Even though a format like a Super League would help stabilize how out on control college sports are right now. No kid out of high school is worth a million before ever snapping the ball. It's Ludacris!

Old 04-11-2024, 08:48 AM

3,508 posts, read 769,280 times
there has not been a national champion west of Texas this century ,, your Mountain and West regions would continue that trend ..

Old 04-11-2024, 09:59 AM

1,224 posts, read 525,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
With Spring Football here, and conference realignment always being a relevant subject, I thought I would get the conversation started on the Super League. The idea of the Power 4 -ish breaking away from the NCAA in football and creating a NFL style league has been floated around recently. What are your thoughts on this idea, and how would you set it up?

I personally don't see it happening. The "Power 2" have too much leverage over the rest of college sports. The advantage of making more money is too important for the B1G and SEC for them to sign up for a format that puts them on a level playing field. The whole point of the conference system is to gain a monetary edge over each other. Why would Alabama and Ohio State want to bring Cincinnati and Wake Forrest back up to their level?

With that being said, here's my proposal for a football only Super League.

- 64 teams / 8 Divisions / 8 teams in each Division
- 12 team schedule / 7 divisional games / 4 cross-divisional games / 1 NCAA game (Remaining FBS)
- 16 team playoff / 8 auto bids for division champions

The remaining FBS schools would have their own league with playoff and championship.

East: Syracuse, Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech, Virginia

Southeast: North Carolina, NC State, Clemson, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Miami, Florida State

Dixie: Kentucky, Louisville, Tennessee, Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, LSU

Rust Belt: Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Perdue, Illinois, Northwestern, Notre Dame

Central: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri

South Central: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor, TCU, Arkansas, Houston

Mountain: Texas Tech, Colorado, Utah, BYU, Arizona, Arizona State, Boise State, Washington State

West: San Diego State, USC, UCLA, California, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington

Each Division would have a "Little Brother Division in the remaining FBS. Every three years, relegation would take place and the bottom from each division (8 schools total) would be sent to play in the lower league. Likewise, the top from the lower league (8 total) would find new homes in the top league. The average of three seasons is taken to determine which team qualifies to move up or down. I won't bother making the lower divisions, but they too would be geography based.

I believe my league keeps geography in mind, rivalries a priority, and is as balanced as I could get it.

Obviously there are a few regions that are loaded (ie: Dixie and Rust Belt). But with an at large system, it should balance out in the playoffs.
This won't happen like that. Could the P4 breakaway as the ACC, SEC, Big Ten, Big 12 yeah that could happen. But I am more concerned with the Big Ten and SEC breaking away and leaving some great schools and programs in the minor league. The SEC would likely add 2 more to get to 18 to match the Big Ten.

The Big Ten and SEC have the mack daddy TV deals they are not going to demote themselves with the above arrangement. You left Cincy off that list BTW.

Old 04-11-2024, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
This won't happen like that. Could the P4 breakaway as the ACC, SEC, Big Ten, Big 12 yeah that could happen. But I am more concerned with the Big Ten and SEC breaking away and leaving some great schools and programs in the minor league. The SEC would likely add 2 more to get to 18 to match the Big Ten.

The Big Ten and SEC have the mack daddy TV deals they are not going to demote themselves with the above arrangement. You left Cincy off that list BTW.
Not everybody made the cut!

Like I said from the beginning, I don't think this will happen either. But it's how I would do it if someone put me in charge.

Old 04-11-2024, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973PINTO View Post
there has not been a national champion west of Texas this century ,, your Mountain and West regions would continue that trend ..
The Divisions are simply geographical. I can't help it that all the schools out west suck!

Old 04-11-2024, 01:51 PM

Super League 2.0

Well now I have gone completely insane! Let's just blow everything up and start over from scratch.

I'm taking all 134 FBS teams, adding 6 FCS teams, and making a football only Super League.

- 14 Divisions with 10 teams each

Divisions:

Northeast: Penn State / Syracuse / Boston College / Rutgers / UConn / UMass / Buffalo / Albany / Temple / Delaware

Mid-Atlantic: UNC / Duke / NC State / Virginia / Wake Forrest / Maryland / ECU / Liberty / Old Dominion / Navy

Appalachian: Ohio State / Tennessee / WVU / Pitt / Virginia Tech / Marshall / Ohio / App State / JMU / Chattanooga

Rust Belt: Michigan / Michigan State / Buffalo / Akron / Kent State / Toledo / W. Mich / E. Mich / C. Mich / Bowling Green

Sunshine: Florida / FSU / Miami / South Carolina / UCF / USF / FIU / FAU / Coastal Carolina / Georgia Southern

Dixie: Alabama / Auburn / Georgia / Georgia Tech / Clemson / Georgia State / UAB/ Jacksonville State / Troy / Charlotte

Deep South: LSU / Ole Miss / Miss State / Memphis / Tulane / LT / UL Monroe / UL Lafayette / S. Alabama / S. Miss

Central: Kentucky/ Indiana / Louisville / Cincinnati / Vanderbilt / Ball State / W. KY / Miami Ohio / Middle Tenn / Ark State

Great Lakes: Notre Dame / Perdue / NW / Wisconsin / Minnesota / Iowa / Illinois / NIU / SD State / ND State

Heartland: Oklahoma / OK State / K State / KU / Iowa State / Nebraska / Arkansas / Missouri / Tulsa / N. Texas

Lone Star: Texas / A&M / Houston / Baylor / TCU / SMU / Rice / Sam Houston / UTSA / TX State

Mountain: Colorado / Utah / BYU / Texas Tech / AF / Col State / NM / Utah State / Wyoming / Montana State

Southwest: USC / UCLA / Arizona / ASU / San Diego State / Fresno State / Hawaii / UNLV / NM State / UTEP

Pacific NW: Washington / Wash State / Oregon / Org State / Cal / Stanford / Boise State / Nevada / San Jose / Montana

Here is a map https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...4440900819&z=6

Scheduling:
- preseason game against FCS or non-divisional opponent
- each team will play 13 regular season games (9 divisional / 1 protected rival / 3 non-divisional )

Division Championship:
- determined by "round robin" schedule.
- There will be no Divisional championship game.

Playoffs:
- 24 team playoff
- each Divisional Champion will get an automatic bid
- computer formula will rank teams 1-24
- top 8 seats will receive a bye (all will be Divisional Champs)
- first round (8 games total) will be home field of higher seed
- rounds of 16, 8, 4, and Championship will be bowl games (15 bowls)

Revenue:
- League will contract will all interested networks/media platforms
- revenue is based on viewership (higher ratings/high payout)

Old 04-11-2024, 02:22 PM

3,739 posts, read 2,569,665 times
(My opinion) Eventually highest level college football & basketball will sever from the other NCAA governed sports, and smaller programs.
The rules and regs can no longer be evenly applied. Major football & basketball will now be well compensated minor leagues for NFL & NBA. Previously they have been covertly & under-compensated minor leagues. But now the mask is off, and people are accepting it, for better or worse.

Ps I like the Hokies in the Appalachian division. It's a cool Southern distinction. It was lame when they were corralled in to the Big East..

Old 04-12-2024, 09:21 AM

Super League 2.0 Map

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...LE&usp=sharing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football