Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Harbaugh be fired?
Yes 2 8.70%
No 21 91.30%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 07:44 AM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times

Advertisements

Michigan barely gets by Rutgers in 3 OTs last night...... lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2020, 09:56 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,257,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Not disagreeing with you.. But where do they go from here?

Say they fire him.. Who do they replace him with? Unless you have someone in the pipeline who is considered to be an improvement.. You're rolling the dice. Sometimes it's worth the consideration of you've got nothing better to go to.
I see what you're saying, but it shouldn't be good enough for a program like Michigan to settle for being extremely mediocre just because their head coach is a well known name.

Who do they replace him with? I don't know personally, and maybe the Michigan fans out there don't know, but someone in Michigan should have an idea, it's their job to look into what is best for their program that has become irrelevant. It doesn't need to be a well established name either. Look at Ohio State, Urban Meyer steps down and they promote Ryan Day to head coach. His name held no weight, no one outside of Columbus knew much about him, and the Buckeyes could have attracted any big name out there to come join, but Urban Meyer and Ohio State didn't publicly need to research the next guy in line and include the fans in the search, they did it all internally and made a really good choice. In fact, recruiting has even gotten better since Urban left. No slight against Urban, but the point is if Day can do it, then certainly someone can help do that for Michigan. Harbaugh will not beat Ohio State this year, unless a miracle happens, and I don't know how Michigan can accept a high profile coach being 0-6 in his first 6 attempts against the Buckeyes.

This is just my opinion. Again, I'm not even a Michigan fan. But as a Buckeye fan, Harbaugh no longer concerns me like he did when he was first hired at Michigan. And sadly, every other program, and recruit, likely feels the same way.

Old 11-25-2020, 06:13 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
I see what you're saying, but it shouldn't be good enough for a program like Michigan to settle for being extremely mediocre just because their head coach is a well known name.

Who do they replace him with? I don't know personally, and maybe the Michigan fans out there don't know, but someone in Michigan should have an idea, it's their job to look into what is best for their program that has become irrelevant. It doesn't need to be a well established name either. Look at Ohio State, Urban Meyer steps down and they promote Ryan Day to head coach. His name held no weight, no one outside of Columbus knew much about him, and the Buckeyes could have attracted any big name out there to come join, but Urban Meyer and Ohio State didn't publicly need to research the next guy in line and include the fans in the search, they did it all internally and made a really good choice. In fact, recruiting has even gotten better since Urban left. No slight against Urban, but the point is if Day can do it, then certainly someone can help do that for Michigan. Harbaugh will not beat Ohio State this year, unless a miracle happens, and I don't know how Michigan can accept a high profile coach being 0-6 in his first 6 attempts against the Buckeyes.

This is just my opinion. Again, I'm not even a Michigan fan. But as a Buckeye fan, Harbaugh no longer concerns me like he did when he was first hired at Michigan. And sadly, every other program, and recruit, likely feels the same way.
How does that old saying go? "I can do bad all by myself," I believe. I see no point in paying Harbaugh's exorbitant contract for 5+ loss seasons.

There are more coaches to go around than the 5 or 6 household names in college football. Urban Meyer wasn't always URBAN MEYER. Lincoln Riley wasn't always LINCOLN RILEY. There are tons of young, motivated, and creative assistants all over America. You just have to search diligently to find them and be willing to incur some risk. At this point, there are a number of assistants who can do at least as well as Harbaugh has done this season.

If I were Michigan's AD, I'd be eyeing Joe Brady, LSU's former coordinator. I'd at least want him there as an offensive coordinator.

Old 11-28-2020, 10:18 AM

596 posts, read 302,317 times
Harbaugh should have never been hired. He wears out his welcome everywhere he goes and eventually loses control of the team. He was supposed to be the savior for Michigan, but they haven't been close to their glory years and couldn't beat Ohio State if their lives depended on it. My friend is an alumni and is just embarrassed by the team. As bad as Penn State is this year, they'll give Michigan everything they can handle.

Old 11-28-2020, 01:29 PM

813 posts, read 402,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhipps View Post
Harbaugh should have never been hired. He wears out his welcome everywhere he goes and eventually loses control of the team. He was supposed to be the savior for Michigan, but they haven't been close to their glory years and couldn't beat Ohio State if their lives depended on it. My friend is an alumni and is just embarrassed by the team. As bad as Penn State is this year, they'll give Michigan everything they can handle.
Penn State got their first win. The AD needs to fire Harbaugh.

Old 11-28-2020, 02:17 PM

1,013 posts, read 724,244 times
I’m a Spartan fan. Keep him.

Old 11-28-2020, 03:11 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times
With Patricia getting let go today and the Lions job officially opening he’s as good as gone. He can go back to the NFL and theoretically keep the same house since I don’t think Ann Arbor and Detroit are more than 60 minutes from each other.

Old 11-28-2020, 04:00 PM

6,091 posts, read 3,330,622 times
I don’t think any coach should be fired for this season. It’s been a complete mess. Off season programs were non existent, schedules were changed, players opted out, games were cancelled and postponed, and players were on and off the roster for Covid.

I’d give Harbaugh one final chance next year. He must show huge improvement, or be fired after next season.

Old 11-28-2020, 05:27 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times
If anything he should've been fired after LAST season, so he's had more than enough opportunities. Look at teams like Wisconsin, Alabama, Florida that have all had issues with Covid/injuries and you don't hear any complaining out of those camps. And those are three top 20 teams, with 2 of them in the top 10. Michigan was a top 20 team preseason, if Michigan was 5-1 or 6-0 after today everyone would be screaming and yelling about how good of a job Harbaugh has done with the team this year and the program is finally back. Can't have it both ways.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:30 AM

596 posts, read 302,317 times
Harbaugh's best move would be to see if he could hook up with one of the networks and get on a pre-game show. He shouldn't be coaching a college or NFL team. With that said, NFL teams can be pretty stupid on their hiring decisions, always looking at retreads and the "fraternity", not focusing on current successes and failures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football