Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2024, 07:38 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,229 times

Advertisements

Looking into moving to North Carolina and from what I have seen the new house's are big McMansions. I found some places with smaller Low Country homes similar to Craftsman Style homes in New England. I found comparisons of Southport is more like New England, smaller country style homes which is what I am looking for.

Does anyone know of a place a couple of miles inland from the coast that have bigger lots and smaller low country house than the small lot with a bigger McMansion house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2024, 06:39 AM

This is the Low Country Style home that's dominant in the south that I am looking for, but all the development I saw in NC are the same cookie cutter style you find across the country.

https://www.architecturaldesigns.com...peal-710047btz

Last edited by JMT; 01-11-2024 at 06:39 PM..

Old 01-12-2024, 06:26 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Try my development of Mimosa Bay in Sneads Ferry. There are a few half-acre lots for sale where you can build a custom house. There are also a few resales. We have a couple of what I would call "farmhouse" designs, around 2800 square feet.

Avoid any new development where they are clear-cutting on tiny lots.

You might also look at River Bluffs north of Wilmington. Also look at resales in Brunswick Forest, Magnolia Greens, St James, Compass Pointe and the golf communities in South Brunswick. Expect to pay $500K plus for a good resale. The Craftsman facade has been most popular in resales, despite it not being a regional style. I think you can use "low-county" or "farmhouse" as a search word in real estate site.

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-12-2024 at 06:36 AM..

Old 01-12-2024, 11:30 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
This is the Low Country Style home that's dominant in the south that I am looking for, but all the development I saw in NC are the same cookie cutter style you find across the country.

https://www.architecturaldesigns.com...peal-710047btz
Possibly the low-country style is more prevalent in South Carolina. Are you interested in South Carolina? It certainly is in the minority amoung builder offerings here.

Old 01-13-2024, 06:27 AM

17 posts, read 16,975 times
Have you tried a Realtor.com search using the lot size filter to see if there are any "typical" home styles that may appeal?

Old 01-13-2024, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Try my development of Mimosa Bay in Sneads Ferry. There are a few half-acre lots for sale where you can build a custom house. There are also a few resales. We have a couple of what I would call "farmhouse" designs, around 2800 square feet.

Avoid any new development where they are clear-cutting on tiny lots.

You might also look at River Bluffs north of Wilmington. Also look at resales in Brunswick Forest, Magnolia Greens, St James, Compass Pointe and the golf communities in South Brunswick. Expect to pay $500K plus for a good resale. The Craftsman facade has been most popular in resales, despite it not being a regional style. I think you can use "low-county" or "farmhouse" as a search word in real estate site.
Thanks for you response, We looked at a complex north of Wilmington which is where I heard of the Low Country House style. We want to be closer to the ocean and not have to cut through Wilmington. Carolina Beach or Leland to Southport are our search areas. I also want to stay in a semi populated area to not intrude on the locals. I always liked the Outer Banks and being near a bigger metropolitan area with all its amenities would work for us. We like the outdoors but not too many people and nothing compares to living between NYC and Philly for congestion.

Old 01-13-2024, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEW22 View Post
Have you tried a Realtor.com search using the lot size filter to see if there are any "typical" home styles that may appeal?
Thanks for your response. Yes we also use Zillow and are on a watch list with a realtor. We are just starting our search for a move in a year or two.

Old 01-14-2024, 09:29 PM

7 posts, read 5,381 times
Keep in mind most NC beach houses are on stilts, New England beach houses generally aren't. This makes the houses seem much bigger than they really are.

Yes it has less of a "quaint" feel, but your wallet will thank you in inurance costs.....hurricanes and all.

Old 01-16-2024, 05:25 AM

35 posts, read 46,524 times
OP. Being from Ct. We felt the same as you. Didn't like any of the new subdivisions since they clear cut entire parcel and cram houses together. Look for an older subdivision/development. The ones started in the 80's and 90's seem the best bet with big, old trees. We ended up in Ocean Isle Beach mainland, Brick Landing. There are other ones in SW Brunswick that fit the bill as well. I would suggest you find the area you like first then start searching for an older subdivision. The prices went crazy the last 2 years but property taxes are still a fraction of the NE. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina