Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2024, 02:15 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times

Advertisements

Just a quick question? Was going to Jacksonville Friday and it was around 10:00pm Dark but clear , I just got off 70 onto 17 speed limit on both said 70 and I admit to about 75. After a mile the Blue lights come on and I pull over, the nice young Officer said I was doing 75 in a 60MPH zone. When I ask about a sign he said I passed it, went back the next day and there is none. Speed limit on my GPS says 70 MPH . What do you think my chance's are to argue it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2024, 05:33 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
A pretty good chance. Take pictures of the signs supposed location, and hope the officer does not show up.

Old 01-04-2024, 06:40 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Just a quick question? Was going to Jacksonville Friday and it was around 10:00pm Dark but clear , I just got off 70 onto 17 speed limit on both said 70 and I admit to about 75. After a mile the Blue lights come on and I pull over, the nice young Officer said I was doing 75 in a 60MPH zone. When I ask about a sign he said I passed it, went back the next day and there is none. Speed limit on my GPS says 70 MPH . What do you think my chance's are to argue it?
I do not see using the GPS speed limit as a good argument to win the case, and a picture of an area with no signage would just be scenery. If you go to court, may have a chance officer not showing, being a young officer, may be a rookie and will likely show up.....may plea down the speed to 69 or so to keep it below 10 over what the claims is the limit. Just my opinion.

Old 01-04-2024, 12:20 PM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
I know a number of roads in ENC that have no signage in terms of speed limit. If the last sign that is there is 70MPH then the State can't say its 60. Its 70. I would document it and take it to court. Worst case is you get it continued.

Old 01-05-2024, 05:42 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
Just throwing this out there. There may be state maximum speeds for highways where signage is not posted, same as side streets. If you turn onto a highway where there is no posted speed, I would think there would be a state maximum until you see signage, otherwise it would be like the autobahn until you see that first sign. Can you imagine doing 60mph on a residential street because there is no posted limit ?....I would think there has to be some state law to cover this.

Old 01-05-2024, 07:23 AM

978 posts, read 673,115 times
I would go back again. Literally film your trip from rt70 to rt 17 and film up to the point you were pulled over.
You can play it back for the judge , you can even adjust the playback speed to go quicker.
Good luck. The PD in this area has been handing out tickets a lot lately.

Old 01-22-2024, 01:54 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
Just throwing this out there. There may be state maximum speeds for highways where signage is not posted, same as side streets. If you turn onto a highway where there is no posted speed, I would think there would be a state maximum until you see signage, otherwise it would be like the autobahn until you see that first sign. Can you imagine doing 60mph on a residential street because there is no posted limit ?....I would think there has to be some state law to cover this.
There is such a law in NC. It's 55 MPH. NC also has a safe and prudent speed law. When I moved into the house that I live in now, there was no speed limit sign and some drivers took advantage of that 55 MPH law. I live in a 2 road subdivision with narrow state-maintained streets. 55+ MPH was way too fast to drive on these streets given it is a subdivision with pedestrians and children riding their bikes and other things like that. I called the Highway Patrol and asked them about the speeds that some people were driving on these streets. The trooper that I spoke to explained about the safe and prudent law and said that no one should be driving that fast on these streets. He suggested that I call the local state roads office and tell them about the speeding problem. I made the call and explained the situation to a very nice lady and 2 days later there was a brand new 25 MPH speed limit sign at the entrance to our subdivision.

As for the OP's problem. Drive back over the exact same route that you took and take video from 70 onto the 17 exit ramp and then to the spot where you were stopped by the officer. Take the vid to court with you and you will get out of the ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: