Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 12:06 PM

9 posts, read 40,099 times

Advertisements

thank you everyone for your candid opinions. We have found a lot and are hoping to close by the end of the month, then prob not build till early next year. We are looking at Coastal Luxury Builders - we need an alley load home and not all builders offer that, plus we wanted a brick home.
Has anyone had experience, good or bad, with Coastal?

thanks again,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 12:10 PM

9 posts, read 40,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrinch View Post
Where else did you look? My wife and I are heading down in June to see CP, BF and Waterford. As you have looked already, what did you learn? PM me if you prefer. Thanks
sorry for the delay in responding. We did look at BF, actually stayed on their property last July. We preferred the gated community of CP and the overall look in general, with the palm trees, etc. Plus we were at BF's pool several times, and not one person even glanced our way to say hi or a smile. When we were at CP, everyone was so friendly - it really was an eye opener!
We did drive thru Waterford and also Magnolia - the homes there are beautiful, but a bit older. As is the pool and fitness centers. We just liked CP from the first time we went there.
We went back again last month and another positive visit helped make our decision.

PM me if you'd like more info and good luck to you.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 9,264 times
We are due to close on our lot in CP this week! We won't start to build until early next year. Also looking at all the builders and trying to make a decision on that. Best of luck to everyone!

Old 06-20-2018, 05:47 AM

77 posts, read 144,417 times
Thinking of another visit to Wilmington area and considering of taking advantage of the CP “Discovery Package”. Worth it? Run away? In between?

Old 06-21-2018, 07:22 AM

2 posts, read 9,264 times
I felt the Discovery packages were well worth it! Very good value and they treat you wonderfully. If it is still the Hilton on the River, it's a very nice hotel and location.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:53 AM

14 posts, read 49,777 times
We were down there last weekend and looked at BF, CP, Waterford and Mag greens. The discovery package at BF was worth it--if you get one of the cottages..much better than staying in Hilton. The cottages are limited, so if you can plan early and reserve one it's well worth it. We are going to have to return as we really just scratched the surface in the 4 days we were there. BF--very nice homes, pools, walking trails, etc. I could see us ending up there. Magnolia greens and Waterford--limited time there, seems OK did not get to see the amenities. CP--loved the community and the homes. Our only concern is that there is no commercial development nearby yet. I don't feel like a 15 drive to pick up a prescription or go food shopping. I'm OK with a further drive to Willmington. The tour there was fantastic, they put you up in the Marriot in Willmington--loved the river walk area. I am going to monitor the commercial deveploment--there is a small one planned right at the new entrance. As we are at least a year away from moving, there may be enough done by then to entice us.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:02 AM

49 posts, read 60,609 times
Cons:
>High HOA fees that will only go up
>Distance to civilization, 20 minutes minimum to get to Wilmington proper or southern Leland although this is greatly improved from what it was due to the new 140 bypass (funny another poster said "location, location, location!", lol CP is in the boonies with vacant pine land all around)
>noise pollution, although this is minimal due to the large pond abutting the highway, most homes are far from the highway
>paper mill and gen X, worth mentioning but not unique to CP, as all of Wilmington is affected by these
>living in 'little brooklyn by the beach', majority of residents of CP are from up north, ill tell you why below
>home prices too high and not sustainable for working locals

Compass Pointe is a beautiful community but you get what you pay for and you certainly pay for it in CP. I believe the median home price is somewhere in the 400k's. This is above the the sustainable home value/payment for working residents of the Wilmington area based on median income and jobs. CP specifically markets to northerners with their posh amenities and tantalizing 'Discovery Packages' because they have significantly greater spending power. The home prices are only affordable to middle or upper class northerners that are used to home and land values significantly greater than in eastern NC (this is why CP is successful, people come to ENC and think wow 400k is cheap when theyre used to 800k but 400k is still too high). Virtually everyone in CP is from up north, although some come from RTP or Charlotte. This is due to the prices, no one local buys in CP because they know the subdivision was a timber tract before it was developed and the land value was minimal before all the money was dumped into infrastructure (which does add value). But driving 30 min to work for prices that are higher than in Wilmington is not savvy for most. You are paying for the amenities, gated community vibe and pretty marketing packages. Home values will likely stay stable but i doubt they will appreciate much as the subdivision ages. There is a lot of land to close in between Wilmington and CP. This post will ruffle some feathers but that's to be expected on this baby boomer echo chamber of a forum here. Pretty much everything here also goes for SJP. Brunswick Forest is more affordable but will still suck you dry with dues over the years.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:46 AM

58 posts, read 135,513 times
Interested in compass point, is it all people over 80? We are very active in our 60s .

Old 09-05-2018, 09:15 AM

25 posts, read 89,583 times
Compass Pointe is not age restricted but obviously geared towards the active retirement crowd. The neighborhood section of CP where we bought the average age is 55 and the median age is 61. That's a 55 person sample but probably relatively accurate to the whole community. Since the community is not supposed to be finished until 2025 or so it will continues to have a mix of ages though clearly new buyers seemed to be right around 60, give or take 5 years on either side.

Old 11-02-2018, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2ndcc View Post
My husband and I are interested in purchasing in Compass Pointe, after looking at several other communities. We are aware of the fees, etc and of all the benefits that come with them. Can anyone point out some of the 'cons'? There must be some downside to living there, but everyone from the real estate rep to people who live there say it's 'euphoric'. We just want to go in with our eyes open and know all the good and bad of the place so we can make an educated decision. We would love to hear of some of the resident's experiences that were not so nice.

TIA
Agree with the area getting built up.
Should look in to Summerwoods in Bolivia. sits off of 17 south about 30 min.south of Wilmington.
All amenities are in a total of 160 homes are to be built.
9 min. to oak island beach , 6 min to lowes foods, pizza/itaiian restaurant, chinese take out.
HOA $50.00/month homes from $260,s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina