Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 12:45 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
People need to find like minded people sometimes so they don't feel like outsiders in their own communities and potentially hearing things like "Yankee go home." Being around the *type* of people who would say that would not make me very happy. Would you recommend a Hispanic relocate to a town with a strong KKK presence? The point is not me rejecting YOU it is about me not wanting to be rejected!
But this does not have anything to do with being "liberal", which is a political affiliation. One can be left-wing and still say "Yankee go home" (though that's rude no matter what). Your stereotype of all "Southerners" as conservative and right-wing is just that. People can be dyed-in-the-wolol Southern and still quite Left on the political spectrum, just as they can be "Yankees" and be Right-wingers. One has to do with where in the country one comes from and one has to do with politics--only loosely related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 03:04 PM

588 posts, read 1,438,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I question if the OP knows what a liberal is. Her statement "I'm not a fan of taxes (who is?) but especially since much go to school systems and i don't have kids." is the opposite of what I would expect a liberal to say.
I thought the same thing.

I haven't been many places in the US (though I am sure there are a quite few out there, I haven't encountered them) in which there aren't a wide variety of people with different cultural backgrounds, political views, educational backgrounds, etc. As long as you have a "let's agree to disagree" mentality/approach, I can't imagine that in most areas, there would be an issue. You will find, just about everywhere, people who fall FAR to the left, FAR to the right, and everywhere in between.

Politics, and the way areas "swing" can change, too. My area used to be STRONGLY red, but it is now more bluish-purple (more blue than red in most elections). My cousin's area used to be STRONGLY blue, but it now more of a magenta-purple (more red than blue in most elections). Parts of Coastal NC are so heavily populated with "transplants" that it could change the political swing there. Possibly.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:37 PM

6,383 posts, read 6,271,884 times
Wow! Seriously? Some very helpful comments here but still, SO much anger too. I titled ALL threats dif yet used the EXACT SAME POST in all. I used "liberal" in the title here merely since i know less about this state's politics than most. I do know that NC is more red than most thus i was humbly seeking geographical guidance.

And for those bashing me on the tax issues . . . . . *yawn* if you read my entire post, you would see that i wrote FISCAL MODERATE and the reasons why (not that i should have to explain myself to anyone just trying to ward off the inevitable whining about school taxes, etc.)

I was merely looking for advice, not a debate or be verbally accosted. I erroneously thought this was a simple request. Again, i thank those few who provided the useful advice.

PS- For anyone who ever gets confused on what party is red and what is blue. All you need to do is remember "Red is for Anger," "Blue is for Sad" and you will remember.

Thanks again.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:05 AM

42 posts, read 80,395 times
I am in the process of relocating to Wilmington. I'll be down at the end of the month. I have done my due diligence on the area in which I want to live. My requirements where: variety of grocery & retail stores, library,restaurants,beach access. Never did I even consider an area's political makeup. I have spent extended time in many areas of the country and have become fast friends with people that have extremely different views than my own. I don't put people in any type of "box". To me that is a bit small minded. Peace,Love & Understanding that's my motto. BTW I am active in the Tea Party. Less taxes & less government intrusion. That's all it's about. Some are vocal about social issues but I am live & let live type of person. I love diversity. See you on the beach my new friends.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:53 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,725,977 times
Here is the deal. Liberal areas tend to think that the "state" knows better than the individual. Therefore they want to provide more and more services, which in turn cost more and more taxes which in turn makes everything more expensive.

It will be hard to find a true liberal bastion in the lower cost of living south, and if you do, it will probably attract a lot of no loads who are there just to free load. If fact, it absolutely will.

Oriental is a joke, lots of rich Yankees suckered in by marketing as Oriental is the sailing capital of NC. Yeah, I guess it is ok to be a liberal if you have the most money!

Old 08-03-2014, 04:37 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
And for those bashing me on the tax issues . . . . . *yawn* if you read my entire post, you would see that i wrote FISCAL MODERATE and the reasons why (not that i should have to explain myself to anyone just trying to ward off the inevitable whining about school taxes, etc.)
I did read your entire post. Here's what you said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums
I am so far left that i am falling off the edge on social issues. I am a bit more moderate on fiscal policy but still have liberal values in that area.
Liberal values on fiscal policy. How can you be a moderate and liberal at the same time? For that matter, how can you be so far left on social issues but be moderate on how to fund them?

I'm not trying to bash you, I'm just pointing out the fact that you may not be so far left as you think you are. I'm a Libertarian but I do believe that there are certain people that the government should take care of. I just don't believe that the government has a responsibility to take care of every Tom, Dick and Harry because they're down on their luck.

I suspect that if you were to sit down and think about where you stand on everything, and then use logic to justify that standing, that you would find yourself as much more centrist than you think you are.

I think you'd do fine in North Carolina. Stop worrying about which political ideology you belong to and make sure that the area itself has what you're looking for. Is the weather good? Crime stats ok? Are the medical facilities what you're look for? Stuff like that.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:36 AM

8 posts, read 15,832 times
To the OP:

As in most places, here in NC urban areas tend to be more politically liberal than rural areas.

As someone mentioned, NC is a purple state, emphasis on the word "state". State-wide elections are going to be close. But, local elections and House elections probably not, due in large measure to the recent gerrymandering of the tea party-controlled state legislature. They've carved out very red and very safe districts for themselves.

The background to this: The changing demographics in NC. The place is growing fast and much of that growth is fueled by migration from the north and midwest, and overseas, into a few urban areas. Here in Raleigh-Durham-Cary, the growth areas are tech, health and academia. Charlotte is strong in business, banking and insurance. Naturally, many of those folks are confident and looking to the future.

Much of rural NC has been hit hard over the last 25-30 years by the loss of traditional jobs -- mills, furniture, tobacco, etc. -- and by falling middle class incomes over the same period. Naturally, many of those folks are angry, confused and resentful. (And, that's fueled by lack of exposure to media. Small-town radio here, as elsewhere, is often all-Rush, all-the-time.)

So, there is a contrast between the culture of the two kinds of places.

I think I understand your concerns. It's all well and good to argue that we all should just get along with each other. That's pretty utopian, though. Communities and groups do, in fact, share common concerns and values, and they often assume and expect any newcomers do, as well. In the long run, it's very difficult to build strong ties with people who do not think like you do and who do not want the same things. Or, frankly, do not want *you* to succeed in having the things you want.

It's more than polarized politics. It's polarized cultures. It is difficult, at best, to live among people who are openly hostile to your basic assumptions and core principles.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:33 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,988,031 times
If you look at Brunswick County........there's been a huge shift in demographics towards transplants from the more liberal Northeast.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:08 PM

149 posts, read 165,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Oriental is a joke, lots of rich Yankees suckered in by marketing as Oriental is the sailing capital of NC. Yeah, I guess it is ok to be a liberal if you have the most money!
Sorry you don't like Oriental. I think it's pretty little town which is still a working fishing village far from the BIG BOX HELL that is creeping toward other coastal areas. Yes, the prices got ridiculously high before the bubble burst, but so did they in many other areas of the country. There are some pretty great bargains to be had now, as there are in other areas of the country. The citizens of Oriental are for the most part retirees, but certainly not all rich and definitely not all Yankees. I've had a house there for six years so I can speak with some authority on the subject. Now if you want to talk about River Dunes, that is certainly full of rich folks...from where I don't know. I've only ever seen it from their boat basin whilst doing donuts in my brother's party barge. (The harbor master was not amused).

Old 08-05-2014, 05:03 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,596,920 times
OP - St. Petersburg, FL is your place. Closer to downtown the better. Go there for a visit, you will have no doubt. Meets all of your requirements.

Wilmington would be the only other place in NC and it was a little too tea party for me (sorry, tea party people - but I assume you wouldn't be happy in liberal Carrboro either)

Seriously you'd love St. Pete. The negatives: your first summer there will be painful, you'll be used to it by the second. No snow ever (a negative for me).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina