Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 08:33 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,096 times

Advertisements

I don't know...I just don't see bypasses being good for eastern NC...It will sink every town along it IMO...I-40 is a real interstate...it goes to California. 70 is just a bypass. Not one town along I-40 even amounted to anything from Raleigh to wilmington. They got gas stations...fast food near exits...but that is it.

About I-40 from Raleigh to wilmington. The only towns that won from this are probably in Johnston co...because of raleigh. NOTHING southeast of Johnston co did...other that what I mentioned above. Wilmington is just that...Wilmington. On the ocean...historic.

All I see coming out of this is more pointless sprawl and old areas of town dying even more. I love the pawn shops in Havelock!! I love taking a day just to drive down there and see what I can find. Havelock has its own character...lol...and uggg...can you imagine how bad Kinston would get??? It is already bad. I see NOTHING good coming out of this. It was good for Clayton because Clayton is a raleigh burb...not good for eastern NC.

I think if they want to make an interstate...do 17...through all the states. Areas along this stretch can better support themselves because of the location. Just seems like 70 is only for Kinston??? However...I can see both sides of this argument
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 09:32 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beffrey2 View Post
Just seems like 70 is only for Kinston???
I went through the area yesterday, and there is a large Sanderson plant west of the town of Kinston. The highways would help them get their product on Interstate 95 a bit faster.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:06 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
New talk about turning US70 from Raleigh to MHC, AND U.S. 117 from Goldsboro to I-40 into interstates.

MOREHEAD CITY: U.S. 70 could become freeway | Garner | GarnerCleveland.com

If money is spent turning either into interstates, especially 117, that will knock 264 even further down the line.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:46 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I guess...here's a map of the on-going 70 study at NC DOT.

http://www.ncdot.gov/projects/US70co...roject_Map.pdf

This map may be a little obsolete....Kinston is pushing for its bypass to go North through the GTP...

http://www.ncdot.gov/projects/kinsto...nBypassMap.pdf
Would they upgrade it to where they give it an interstate number? If so, what number would they designate it?

Old 09-21-2013, 11:09 AM

601 posts, read 963,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I would love to see US17 at Williamston and north be turned into a freeway, through the Elizabeth City bypass, and connect to the Chesapeake Expressway in Virginia.

And US13 from the Greenville Bypass to north of Bethel turn into a freeway.

For both, neither interstate standards, just freeway. Unless the difference isn't that much.

The end result would be a new freeway connection from Raleigh to Virginia Beach. That would do wonders.
Funny you mention this, but I have read about a proposed "Interstate 101" which would connect from Raleigh to as far as Philadelphia:

http://goo.gl/maps/NwHIb

Also, there's another proposed interstate, I-99, that would run further out to Charleston, via US 17. I guess there wouldn't be a point to having an I-99 and I-101 running concurrent for such a long stretch. They could simply extend the upcoming I-495 from Raleigh to connect to US-17/I-99.

Last edited by Third Strike; 09-21-2013 at 11:18 AM..

Old 09-22-2013, 04:10 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
I can see them getting around to doing these Interstate jobs in 50 or so years. Greenville was on a tear to get US264 upgraded until Kinston threw a wrench into the works. And now that we have a governor that is redirecting more money towards Charlotte, it's going to be a long time before there is any money for ANY of these projects.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:37 AM

1,530 posts, read 2,415,635 times
Heading east on I 40 from Brunswick County I get off at the Mt Olive exit and then take that road and catch I 95 further north then I 40 to I 95. Am I really saving much with all the lights etc?

Old 09-22-2013, 09:57 AM

383 posts, read 891,465 times
Default Time Savings

You are definitely saving a lot of time on i795 by getting on i95 further North. There is also the construction on route 17 just south of Leland, which will allow you to get on i40 further south and not have to go up to Wilmington to get on the interstate. Living in St. James and traveling north, that will be a large time savings.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:07 PM

895 posts, read 2,095,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
Funny you mention this, but I have read about a proposed "Interstate 101" which would connect from Raleigh to as far as Philadelphia:

http://goo.gl/maps/NwHIb

Also, there's another proposed interstate, I-99, that would run further out to Charleston, via US 17. I guess there wouldn't be a point to having an I-99 and I-101 running concurrent for such a long stretch. They could simply extend the upcoming I-495 from Raleigh to connect to US-17/I-99.
Neither will happen unless NC is willing to foot the entire bill... and that won't be happening soon, with all the projects that NC has already taken on or has planned for the near future. I wonder when we get to the point that we feel that we are able to sustain solid regional economies without the presence of an interstate. I think that in the the future, we will rely more heavily on rail as a real economic development tool as opposed to new highways.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:57 PM

601 posts, read 963,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
Neither will happen unless NC is willing to foot the entire bill... and that won't be happening soon, with all the projects that NC has already taken on or has planned for the near future. I wonder when we get to the point that we feel that we are able to sustain solid regional economies without the presence of an interstate. I think that in the the future, we will rely more heavily on rail as a real economic development tool as opposed to new highways.
I don't expect it to happen anything soon either, but it's still a possibility. I do see US 17 being upgraded to a freeway, from border to border, but not for many years. I'm also a believer in rail as well, but the politics of this state would have to change dramatically for that to happen anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina