Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 12:09 PM

63,949 posts, read 40,236,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear lens View Post
Thanks so much for this point Kate. I think your point is wonderful and important.

There is something about mortality that is intended to help us be more like our Father in heaven.

When Jesus said "Be ye therefore perfect, as your Father in the heavens is perfect" (matt 5:48), there must be some important principle underlying this mandate for emulation.
As you probably know, Clear, the word translated as "perfect" did not carry the same meaning as it does today. It was more about "maturity" than perfection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2024, 07:37 PM

22,062 posts, read 13,093,119 times
Have they edited out the "in OUR image WE shall make them; male and female, WE shall make them." I always wondered who "we" were and what that "male and female" was all about.

Old 05-08-2024, 08:57 AM

28,124 posts, read 30,046,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear lens View Post
Hi Michael Way

I am glad you like Michael Heisner. I do too.

Perhaps you and KATZPUR would enjoy a story about Michael.

Michael was a wonderful and rare hebraist and historian and it took years for other historians to "catch up" with Michael on some of his specific historical discoveries. He did years of historical research on his doctoral "council" thesis and it was wonderfully well done.

Because his historical research confirmed some historical points of LDS doctrines, some of his colleagues accused him of being a "secret" member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints ("mormons") and he felt under pressure to "explain" why he was supporting the mormon claims.

Michael responded by writing a wonderful Critique regarding the LDS use of Psalms 82 called "You've seen one Elohim, you've seen them all" and sent it to the scholars at Brigham Young University.

The problem was that Michael didn't realize the LDS, as restorationists, had always agreed with and had always taught specific basic elements of his historical discoveries.

So, the back and forth between him and the LDS scholars went like this :

Michael : The LDS disagree with my research on this point.
The LDS : No, we actually agree with your historical research on this point.

Michael : I am saying "this" and you guys think it means "that".
The LDS : No, we agree with your point that it means "this" and don't know why you think we believe "that"

And that is the way the back and forth went with Michael trying to convince the LDS that they disagreed with him on base points and the LDS trying to convince him that they agreed with him and gave him examples where they had long taught his base historical discoveries.

I think it hurt his feelings that he wasn't the first to discover these important historical points. He was a wonderful historian and his historical discoveries were quite wonderful. He simply didn't realize that even the LDS taught what it took him years to discover.

I felt a bit of a kinship with Michael on this point since I remember being quite disappointed when I also thought I was the first to discover a significant historical point and found out that it has already been discovered by multiple other individuals. Like Michael, I had hoped that I had been the one to contribute something special and was disappointed to find that I others already knew and taught what I had only recently discovered.

However, Michael got over this episode and continued to make wonderful contributions to the world of religious history.

At any rate, you may also enjoy this Critique Michael wrote to the LDS that turned out to be common knowledge among them.

I love Michael and I'm glad we share this love and respect for him and his wonderful contributions to the understanding of historical religion.
That's a great story. Poor Michael. I feel so sorry for him that he was mistaken for a Latter-day Saint.

Old 05-08-2024, 10:18 AM

14,382 posts, read 11,788,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Have they edited out the "in OUR image WE shall make them; male and female, WE shall make them." I always wondered who "we" were and what that "male and female" was all about.
“We” is the three persons of God. The Trinity. Otherwise, there would be no “we.”

Of course, it’s not the royal “We are not amused” we, which is singular.

Male and female—God is not male or female, but has qualities that can be described as male or female. And that’s how God chose to create man (and other forms of life)—as male or female. Having both men and women being made in the image of God also emphasizes that the sexes complement and complete each other; both are necessary and one is not superior to the other.

Old 05-08-2024, 10:21 AM

25,956 posts, read 12,968,255 times
Cloning...God cloned us using his DNA.

Old 05-08-2024, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Cloning...God cloned us using his DNA.
Okay... So is God male AND female, or did more than one person create man and the world?

Old 05-08-2024, 10:45 AM

14,382 posts, read 11,788,207 times
Quote:
Okay... So is God male AND female, or did more than one person create man and the world?
God isn't male OR female. Being made in the image of God means we mirror some (not all) of God's qualities, not that we are God, or that God is just like us.

The DNA comment was obviously facetious.

Old 05-08-2024, 11:16 AM

"In our image we shall make them; male and female we shall make them" is the quote I'm referring to which most are omitting from this thread. Who is "we," and are "they" both male and female? I've always found that passage puzzling!

Old 05-08-2024, 11:18 AM

380 posts, read 324,496 times
REGARDING TRANSLATION VERSUS MEANING OF THE WORD “PERFECT” IN MATTHEW 5:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
As you probably know, Clear, the word translated as "perfect" did not carry the same meaning as it does today. It was more about "maturity" than perfection.
Hi MysticPhD. I think your point is critical for improving our understanding of the text. Thanks for the reminding insight that the modern concept of “perfection” as a quality of having absolutely no faults (or moral imperfection) is not what was meant in the greek source text.

There is a jewish saying that means “All translators are liars”.
It’s simply means that all translations are incorrect and do not tell the actual original story.

Having relayed the Jewish tradition about all translators being liars, let me take the translators side for a minute (at least enough to say that their job is very difficult and involves compromise).

Doug Moo, the leader of the NIV translation team relates significant compromises in wording had to be made in the NIV even between opinions of his group, not to mention specific compromises regarding what specific word should be used. Also, if they translate much differently than the expectations of bible readers, their translation may raise significant criticisms by individuals who are used to a different reading.

It’s easy for Greek and Hebrew readers to see the many errors, but most of them would do no better.

1) REGARDING THE WORD RENDERED “PERFECT” IN MATTHEW 5:48

MysticPhD, your observation was a great point. A wonderful point.

I even have a habit of ending my lectures with the slide “to telos” which is “the end” in Greek movies.

The concept of moral maturity is difficult for translators to render in a single word (or even two) and so we have to deal with their rendering of τελειος as “perfect”.

The early Greek papyri speak of reaching τελειος as “coming of age” or when “women who have attained ‘maturityare mistresses of their persons."

Papyri in BGU of 101 a.d. describes “four full-grown [Roosters] and 8 laying hens” as τελειος simply meaning they are mature and able to bear “fruit” (eggs).

One early contract (Papyri Oxy Ii (a.d. 17) describes a Thelan mill “in good working order or condition” using this word meaning that the Mill still accomplishes the purpose for which it was built.

Another papyri from 225 a.d. describes “fourteen acacia trees in good condition” using the word τελειος meaning they are not only “mature” but are fruit bearing.

As you pointed out, the word τελειος does have the meanings of “perfect” in the sense of “maturity”. But I notice my background and bias has a hard time stopping there. Our individual contexts and imaginings vary depending on our background biases (which are many)

For example, for me, the sense in Matthew has a “base” sense of “maturing” as you pointed out.

However, (like adding an additional flavor at the soda fountain), for me, using τελιοσ in this context adds the flavor of a process of “become completed” such as was used in Tebt papyri (a.d.132), that is, having reached it’s state of moral maturity and able to better accurately judge and interact.

In this sentence (and for me) τελειοσ also represents a certain type of ability that comes with maturity and fulfillment of ability.

2) ACCURATE TRANSLATIONS OF ANCIENT TEXTS ARE DIFFICULT TO RENDER

The point can be made that much of the translations of sacred text are difficult to render.

AN EXAMPLE OF HOW A SIMPLE TRANSLATION CAN BE DIFFICULT
Matt 9:13 as an example reads: "But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice....

The base word rendered "go" in this case is "πορεουμαι".

This is unusual since “πορεουμαι” rendered “go” in this case is typically used for a "journey" one takes rather than to simply “go”. (Translators typically render "υπαγο" as “go”).

For example, in P Oxy 1219.8 (of iii a.d.) πορεουμαι describes a person "on his way to the city of Nicias." (i.e. a process of taking a journey)

However, if a translator renders the sentence in matt 9:13 as “But journey and learn what this means…”, it sounds strange to English ears since that is not how we typically speak and hear such concepts spoken.

Go” has one flavor and “journey” another. However, putting the two meanings in a single word is difficult.

However, how does a single English word render this difference?

My point is that it is difficult.

IF we render Matt 9:13 as “But, travel through life and (in the process of your life’s journey), learn what this means..”, is it more correct? This translation certainly is not the actual words in the greek source text.

So, just as the Jews say that “translators are all liars”, each translator must make difficult choices that they know do not really represent the full meaning of the original. It’s a difficult job.

Thanks so much for the insight and reminder MysticPhD.

Last edited by Clear lens; 05-08-2024 at 11:53 AM..

Old 05-08-2024, 11:47 AM

380 posts, read 324,496 times
REGARDING GENESIS 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image...

Quote:
"In our image we shall make them; male and female we shall make them" is the quote I'm referring to which most are omitting from this thread. Who is "we," and are "they" both male and female? I've always found that passage puzzling!
Hi Otterhere

While there may be many personal interpretations or modern theories on this question, I can answer what the early Judeo-Christians themselves say they believed concerning this phrase.

In early Judeo-Christianity the Father and Son were separate individuals and in the instance of Genesis 1:26 it was God the Father speaking to his Son, to whom he delegated the task of creation of the world(s)

Thus, the epistle of Barnabas explains your question on this specific point saying :

For the Scripture speaks about us when he says to the Son: “Let us make man according to our image and likeness, and let them rule over the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air and the fish of the sea.” And when he saw that our creation was good, the Lord said: “Increase and multiply and fill the earth. These things he said to the Son." (The Epistle of Barnabas 6:12)

This same belief and description underlies other ancient genre of Christian literature.

For example, in the early “Discourse on Abbaton”, Jesus is speaking to his disciples regarding his role at the creation of Adam by the Father, saying :

“And He [God the Father] took the clay from the hand of the angel, and made Adam according to Our image and likeness, and He left him lying for forty days and forty nights without putting breath into him. And he heaved sighs over him daily, saying [to the son] "If I put breath into this [man], he must suffer many pains."

The controversy at this point is the knowledge that if God carries out his plan to populate the earth with the spirits of mankind, he already knows each of mankind will fall from a state of innocence, and while many will choose moral good, many other will choose to do much evil upon the earth. The narrative continues :

And I [Jesus] said unto My Father, "Put breath into him; I will be an advocate for him." And My Father said unto Me, "If I put breath into him, My beloved son, Thou wilt be obliged to go down into the world, and to suffer many pains for him before Thou shalt have redeemed him, and made him to come back to primal state." And I said unto My Father, "Put breath into him; I will be his advocate, and I will go down into the world, and will fulfil Thy command."

The specific point is that in early Judeo-Christian tradition, the Son/Messiah/Jesus was with God the Father in the beginning of creating mankind and Jesus/Son/Messiah is the individual God the Father is speaking to when he says “Let US create man in our image…”

In any case, good luck coming to your own belief and understanding of these points. I hope your own spiritual journey is wonderful and insightful.

Last edited by Clear lens; 05-08-2024 at 12:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity