Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 03:38 PM

4,243 posts, read 4,757,704 times

Advertisements

I am 45, have never married and have been thinking a lot about this question lately.

In my small close circle of other female friends I don't think I have any examples of what I would call a Christian marriage. Neither of my parents married. Lately I have been wondering if I have been called to be single; I feel that I have, but I can't actually even explain why I feel that way - it's just that I've been single for so long that I figured 'this must be the way God wants it'. Recently I have questioned this a bit.

I have a Christian friend or 2 that want to remarry and when I ask them why they state because they don't want to be alone. Lately however I've been wondering is that a good sole reason to marry? And I've been wondering more about the purpose behind this type of covenant.

So. With that said, how does one know if they are called to be single? How did you know?

Can you offer some passages I may meditate on to gain more insights regarding God's purpose for marriage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2024, 03:43 PM

13,679 posts, read 7,984,403 times
I would be so bold as to say that the fact that you are 45 and unmarried means that you are called to be single.

Since you are past or at least nearly past childbearing age, what would be the purpose of your getting married?

Marriage exists for the sake of the children -- to provide them with a stable environment for their upbringing.

Your singleness is a great gift that makes you free to be used by God in ways impossible and unfathomable to a married person.

Old 05-02-2024, 03:43 PM

33,314 posts, read 26,512,840 times
Maybe God just doesn't care either way. Maybe God doesn't micro-manage your life to the extent of 'calling' you to be single or married or what job or career you will have. Maybe that's strictly up to you.

Old 05-02-2024, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I would be so bold as to say that the fact that you are 45 and unmarried means that you are called to be single.

Since you are past or at least nearly past childbearing age, what would be the purpose of your getting married?

Marriage exists for the sake of the children -- to provide them with a stable environment for their upbringing.

Your singleness is a great gift that makes you free to be used by God in ways impossible and unfathomable to a married person.
Try love and companionship.

Old 05-02-2024, 04:02 PM

14,355 posts, read 11,747,643 times
I disagree that marriage is "all about the children." Of course if a young man or woman wants children, they should seek to get married; that's a given. But it's not the only reason, because many people who are married don't have children whether they wanted them or not. Marriage also exists to create a special legal and spiritual bond, beyond that of mere friendship, so that a man and woman will live together and mutually help and support each other throughout their lives. This is stated way back at the beginning of Genesis when God said it is not good for a man to be alone, so Eve was made to be a suitable helper for Adam (and of course the opposite is also implied; in general it's not great for a woman to be alone either).

I always knew I wanted to be married and have children, so when I was in my late teens/early 20s, I went out of my way to spend time in places where I could meet Christian singles. I suppose it could have happened that up to this day I never met anyone I wanted to marry, and only time would tell if I would be single for my entire life, but if I had not even wanted to marry, that of course would have been a definitive sign that I was called to be single.

What you haven't said is whether you want to be married. Are you or were you ever "looking" for a spouse? Are you satisfied with your life as a single woman? God doesn't just tell us these things straight out, but the combination of our desires and the path our lives take lets us know what his will for us is.

Old 05-02-2024, 05:09 PM

45,643 posts, read 27,260,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I am 45, have never married and have been thinking a lot about this question lately.

In my small close circle of other female friends I don't think I have any examples of what I would call a Christian marriage. Neither of my parents married. Lately I have been wondering if I have been called to be single; I feel that I have, but I can't actually even explain why I feel that way - it's just that I've been single for so long that I figured 'this must be the way God wants it'. Recently I have questioned this a bit.

I have a Christian friend or 2 that want to remarry and when I ask them why they state because they don't want to be alone. Lately however I've been wondering is that a good sole reason to marry? And I've been wondering more about the purpose behind this type of covenant.

So. With that said, how does one know if they are called to be single? How did you know?

Can you offer some passages I may meditate on to gain more insights regarding God's purpose for marriage?
What do you want for yourself?

It's one thing to be content and alone. It's another to be burning with the desire to be married.

Do you want to be married because many others are? Do you believe God is moving you toward single hood?

One, in my former church family, just got married for the first time and I believe she is in her 60s.

I'm all about if you delight yourself in the Lord, He will (in most cases) give you the desires of your heart (Ps 37). If not, He will give you a definite "no" (like Paul & the thorn in the flesh). But you have to be looking at Him, and not everyone else regarding the issue.

From a secular, worldly perspective - it's slim pickins for a good & godly man these days, especially black men (I think I remember that you are black). But God can put a ram in the bush.

Old 05-02-2024, 05:32 PM

8,183 posts, read 6,940,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

You have really closed your mind off to a wonderful gift. Marriage is the perfect vehicle for learning LOVE.

Child-bearing is absolutely NOT the sole purpose of marriage. And to say so is to not understand this aspect of our Creator, imho.

Marriage is being intimately involved, body, mind and soul with another human being. To mirror back and forth, to go through challenges and struggles, triumphs and victories, to learn HOW to LOVE. To learn what LOVE is and to put that learning into action. To keep going when things get tough, to help each other, to learn to be kind, selfless, long-suffering, everything that LOVE is.... like I said, to mirror back and forth. It is one of the most beautiful things when two people can learn what LOVE truly is, deeply in their souls. To slough off the shallow and fleeting and to discover and value the deep and everlasting. God is LOVE. We learn the substance of God. We learn what LOVE is and what love is not. We learn what God is and what God is not.

To the OP. Keep your mind and your heart open. You do not know what the future holds. If you think God has "chosen" something for you.... what if you are wrong? Take life as it comes and do not put yourself in a box.

peace,
sparrow

Old 05-02-2024, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
You have really closed your mind off to a wonderful gift. Marriage is the perfect vehicle for learning LOVE.

Child-bearing is absolutely NOT the sole purpose of marriage. And to say so is to not understand this aspect of our Creator, imho.

Marriage is being intimately involved, body, mind and soul with another human being. To mirror back and forth, to go through challenges and struggles, triumphs and victories, to learn HOW to LOVE. To learn what LOVE is and to put that learning into action. To keep going when things get tough, to help each other, to learn to be kind, selfless, long-suffering, everything that LOVE is.... like I said, to mirror back and forth. It is one of the most beautiful things when two people can learn what LOVE truly is, deeply in their souls. To slough off the shallow and fleeting and to discover and value the deep and everlasting. God is LOVE. We learn the substance of God. We learn what LOVE is and what love is not. We learn what God is and what God is not.

To the OP. Keep your mind and your heart open. You do not know what the future holds. If you think God has "chosen" something for you.... what if you are wrong? Take life as it comes and do not put yourself in a box.

peace,
sparrow
Nice post, sparrow. Soul-mates . . .what can compare with that?

Old 05-02-2024, 06:09 PM

14,355 posts, read 11,747,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Nice post, sparrow. Soul-mates . . .what can compare with that?
Nothing, nothing at all, but I worry when people are fixated on finding their "soulmate" and turn away even very good candidates because there is something just not quite right...not quite "soulmate" about them.

I understand that the post was more about someone becoming a soulmate over a long time and a lot of mutual experiences, with difficulties and losses as well as wonderful times, but this is very easy to misunderstand.

Don't go out looking for a soulmate, look for someone you both like and respect, and can solve problems with. No amount of spark or passion or even mutual common interests will get you anywhere without those qualities.

Old 05-02-2024, 08:21 PM

13,679 posts, read 7,984,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I don't disagree with this at all. Marriage can of course be sanctifying even if childbearing is not a part of it due to circumstance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity