Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM

1,344 posts, read 658,733 times

Advertisements

I recently read an article about how a mummified torso of a man living in Ireland was discovered. The torso dated back to 2,000 years ago.

Can you imagine....thousands, even millions of people living in the same time period as Jesus? I wonder what religion they followed. What their beliefs were. What did they think of the afterlife. Did they convert to Christianity? If so, when and what convinced them?

It makes me curious... how come we have physical evidence of things that existed 2,000 years (or more) ago but nothing from anything that was in direct contact with Jesus? eg: the bodies of any of his disciples? or any artifacts that were used by any of His followers?

But it also makes me wonder....it amazes me how a person who could be living in a whole nother country could be living their regular life when something extraordinary and miraculous is happening thousands of miles away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM

33,282 posts, read 26,487,831 times
While it can't be proven, there is circumstantial evidence that the house of the apostle Peter may have been found more than 25 years ago. It's very difficult to prove conclusively of course. It would be very difficult to prove that some object was the personal possession of one of the apostles of Jesus.

https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/...-in-capernaum/

There were many different religions and beliefs during the time of Jesus. Some of these people did convert to Christianity as a result of hearing the gospel, as well as seeing the miracles performed by the apostles, according to the NT.

Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM

20,041 posts, read 13,507,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
While it can't be proven, there is circumstantial evidence that the house of the apostle Peter may have been found more than 25 years ago. It's very difficult to prove conclusively of course. It would be very difficult to prove that some object was the personal possession of one of the apostles of Jesus.

https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/...-in-capernaum/

There were many different religions and beliefs during the time of Jesus. Some of these people did convert to Christianity as a result of hearing the gospel, as well as seeing the miracles performed by the apostles, according to the NT.
Agreed. It's one thing to find a corpse or an implement or a house dated to around the beginning of the Common Era, it's another thing to conclusively determine the corpse's name or who owned or used a house or artifact. Even the original NT manuscripts are lost and the vast majority of the ones we have are 3 or 4 centuries old and probably represent dozens of generations of copying (either that or most of that stuff was written 3 or 4 centuries later and passed off as older, but I won't further kick that particular hornet's nest here).

The Vatican has a "Scavi Tour" you can take in the necropolis beneath the Vatican (St Peter's Basilica is built atop a cemetery from around the 1st century) and the "highlight" of the tour, if you can call it that, is to see the place where some bones were found that were believed to be those of St Peter, who was said to have been buried in that cemetery. One peers through a small hole in the wall, across a chamber, to see a hollow illuminated in the wall on the other side, where the remains were found. So it's just a glimpse of a hole in a wall about 8 or 10 feet away. Just a few bone fragments were found, and even the Vatican admits that evidence is inconclusive (they can't prove it's St Peter, but Strongly Imply that they think it was he).

The Catholic Church has throughout its history possessed many such "relics" including multiple individual parishes claiming to have the same object. There were even several churches claiming to have the "Holy Prepuce", the foreskin of Jesus. That particular feeding frenzy was so ridiculous and got so out of hand that the Church officially repudiated it and threatened to excommunicate anyone claiming to have one of those foreskins. To this day you can make a saintly bishop angry by bringing it up, I hear.

So it's a fool's errand to put any hope in finding some definitive proof of the gospel narratives via archaeology.

To the OP's point, though, allowing for the sake of argument that the guy to whom this torso belonged was alive while Jesus walked the earth just a heroe's journey away ... what I always used to wonder is, yeah, if millions of people in that period had zero chance of hearing even rumors of what was going on in the Holy Land, what use was it to them? There's a convoluted subplot about how righteous Jews during the OT era were kept in an anteroom in the underworld called "Abraham's bosom" until such time as Jesus' death and resurrection could allow them into heaven, but what about some random druid in what's now the UK, or some random hunter-gatherer in the steppes of whatever-a-stan? I mean, Christianity is certainly a very exclusive club even today, since two thirds of the world isn't even culturally Christian, much less via actual belief.

Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM

13,642 posts, read 7,963,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
Can you imagine....thousands, even millions of people living in the same time period as Jesus? I wonder what religion they followed. What their beliefs were. What did they think of the afterlife. Did they convert to Christianity? If so, when and what convinced them?
Most followed some sort of paganism, worshipping a panoply of household or tribal deities and offering sacrifices or performing slavish rituals to appease them. Paganism was thoroughly crushed by Christianity in large part because it was so easy to demonstrate the superiority of Jesus Christ over their deities. Christianity has so influenced our mode of life, even for non-believers, that it's hard to even fathom what it must have been like to be overtly enslaved to the demonic as the pre-Christian peoples were. Christianity was seen as such a profound relief -- such freedom.

Quote:
It makes me curious... how come we have physical evidence of things that existed 2,000 years (or more) ago but nothing from anything that was in direct contact with Jesus? eg: the bodies of any of his disciples? or any artifacts that were used by any of His followers?
We do have relics from early Christians, including the head of St. John the Baptist; although it must be said that there is debate as to which skull is the real article, since there are several claimants.

Quote:
But it also makes me wonder....it amazes me how a person who could be living in a whole nother country could be living their regular life when something extraordinary and miraculous is happening thousands of miles away.
Extraordinary and miraculous things are still happening, albeit nothing as profound as that of God becoming Man as happened only then.

We do have accounts of unusual signs and happenings taking place all over the world during the time of Jesus.

Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
what I always used to wonder is, yeah, if millions of people in that period had zero chance of hearing even rumors of what was going on in the Holy Land, what use was it to them?
Christ's Life, Death, and Resurrection is of infinite "use" to anyone, anywhere; because in it salvation is found. Then, just as now, one only has to "knock" and the door will be opened -- "seek", and it will be found.

Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM

10,497 posts, read 7,026,221 times
The Chinese wrote about the day of Jesus crucifixion and Jesus.

Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Christ's Life, Death, and Resurrection is of infinite "use" to anyone, anywhere; because in it salvation is found. Then, just as now, one only has to "knock" and the door will be opened -- "seek", and it will be found.
So torso-guy just had to ask the correct god who he didn't know for direct revelation?

Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
So torso-guy just had to ask the correct god who he didn't know for direct revelation?
I don't know what "torso-guy" means or is in reference to; but we are all responsible to seek after God. If we are truly seeking Him in humility, He will not hide Himself from us.

Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
The Chinese wrote about the day of Jesus crucifixion and Jesus.
Did they. Do you have a link to that?

Nevermind, found it: CHINESE EVIDENCE OF JESUS’ BIRTH, DEATH AND RESURRECTION (from the time of Christ) – Truth Is Life! (one must read over halfway through to get to the point).

So this is a modern Chinese Christian retconning Chinese astrology from that era as fitting the general narrative of the death and resurrection. This does not seem like it would be hard to do. It's the same process whereby OT passages are reinterpreted to be messianic prophecies.

Some of it is kind of ridiculous. The gospel account has darkness for 3 hours during the day, and this is equated with a solar eclipse, for which totality lasts maybe a minute at most, assuming you are in the path of totality to begin with. And of course, eclipses don't happen simultaneously in two different parts of the world. They are really having to force fit some of these celestial observations.

Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM

11,902 posts, read 3,713,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I don't know what "torso-guy" means or is in reference to; but we are all responsible to seek after God. If we are truly seeking Him in humility, He will not hide Himself from us.
In reference to the OP

the literal individual torso of a person who was born, lived, died in Ireland 2000 years ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity