Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM

1,346 posts, read 658,733 times

Advertisements

That's the thing....

Sure, we have relics of things (as EscalaMike mentioned) but have they been scientifically proven to have existed 2,000 years ago? No respect to any existing denominations but saying "according to the {denomination here} tradition...." doesn't really prove anything. A person can show a nail or cross that was scientifically proven to have existed during the time of Jesus. Though you could never prove that the nail or cross touched the skin of Jesus or any of His disciples. We could only say that "DNA evidence shows that a middle-aged man from the time of Jesus with light brown skin was affected by this nail".

As for Christianity itself, did every country follow Pagan? Christianity may have trumped certain religions, but it still holds only 31.6% share of the global population. Let's say the person who died in Iceland at the same time period as Jesus followed a different religion and that religion is still thriving today. I wonder if Christianity is just an isolated religion, meaning it holds only special value to specific countries? Is not as powerful of a religion as we thought? Are there regions that existed during the time of Jesus where Christianity penetrated but was not successful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM

20,041 posts, read 13,507,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
That's the thing....

Sure, we have relics of things (as EscalaMike mentioned) but have they been scientifically proven to have existed 2,000 years ago? No respect to any existing denominations but saying "according to the {denomination here} tradition...." doesn't really prove anything. A person can show a nail or cross that was scientifically proven to have existed during the time of Jesus. Though you could never prove that the nail or cross touched the skin of Jesus or any of His disciples. We could only say that "DNA evidence shows that a middle-aged man from the time of Jesus with light brown skin was affected by this nail".

As for Christianity itself, did every country follow Pagan? Christianity may have trumped certain religions, but it still holds only 31.6% share of the global population. Let's say the person who died in Iceland at the same time period as Jesus followed a different religion and that religion is still thriving today. I wonder if Christianity is just an isolated religion, meaning it holds only special value to specific countries? Is not as powerful of a religion as we thought? Are there regions that existed during the time of Jesus where Christianity penetrated but was not successful?
I am not aware of a time in history when Christianity was a greater share of the world population than it is now -- and it's losing ground to Islam as well; according to Pew Research, within 2 or 3 decades there will be fewer Christians than Muslims and those two religions will trade places in that regard.

Given that "god is not willing that ANY should perish but that ALL should come to repentance", that's a pretty poor showing. Especially when you consider how many people throughout history have never "come to repentance". There are only a few possibilities here:

1) 100% of non-Christians reflects their disinterest, lack of caring, or outright rebellion against god, therefore, eternal perdition is just punishment.

2) 100% of non-Christians reflects god's disinterest in THEM. See: Calvinism.

3) The evangel isn't as compelling as Christians like to think that it is. Like a Star Trek fan who can't understand why everyone doesn't know the name of the captain who preceded Kirk on the Enterprise and isn't interested in learning to speak Klingonese, Christians think their ideology is self-evidently correct and compelling, but it's not.

3b) The evangel is compelling, actually, but the church is inept at communicating / selling it.

4) Through some interminable, arduous process, somehow everyone will eventually be redeemed.

5) It doesn't matter because all religions are a path to god.

6) It doesn't matter because some non-Christian religion or quasi-Christian sect of questionable dogma is the actual answer.

7) It's all holy horse-pucky -- god, devils, sin, redemption, all of it.

Maybe I've missed a possibility, but I suspect most here subscribe to one of those explanations.

Old Today, 05:43 AM

17,351 posts, read 22,090,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
I recently read an article about how a mummified torso of a man living in Ireland was discovered. The torso dated back to 2,000 years ago.

Can you imagine....thousands, even millions of people living in the same time period as Jesus? I wonder what religion they followed. What their beliefs were. What did they think of the afterlife. Did they convert to Christianity? If so, when and what convinced them?

It makes me curious... how come we have physical evidence of things that existed 2,000 years (or more) ago but nothing from anything that was in direct contact with Jesus? eg: the bodies of any of his disciples? or any artifacts that were used by any of His followers?

But it also makes me wonder....it amazes me how a person who could be living in a whole nother country could be living their regular life when something extraordinary and miraculous is happening thousands of miles away.
Ok, that guy in Ireland was likely a farmer and died by age 40. Pretty simple living and probably not a lot of extra time for religion and afterlife thoughts.

It still happens today: How many Americans follow teachings from spiritual leaders in Iran? Israel? How many folks in foreign countries follow Joel Osteen? Guy is pretty big in Texas and is seen by millions of people a year. I'd guess his market penetration rate is probably higher in a single year than Jesus was in his whole lifetime (due to technology, not the actual message).

Old Today, 06:40 AM

10,103 posts, read 6,447,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I have no idea what your post means.

The question is how would a first century Irishman have heard about Jesus.
There's no way the Irishman would or could have heard about Jesus. But according to EscAlaMike's theology, it was his fault that he didn't so he wasn't saved and most likely went to hell. What a deal.

Old Today, 06:56 AM

9,899 posts, read 1,280,373 times
Quote:
It's hard to imagine a scenario where someone in Ireland during the 1st Century would have even had a slight possibility of ever hearing of Jesus Christ, let alone know anything about his ministry.
The gospel was preached to every creature under heaven, according to Paul.

Colossians 1
21And you, who once were alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled 22in the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy, and blameless, and above reproach in His sight— 23if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister.

Old Today, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
There's no way the Irishman would or could have heard about Jesus. But according to EscAlaMike's theology, it was his fault that he didn't so he wasn't saved and most likely went to hell. What a deal.
According to Paul, the gospel was preached to every creature under heaven. Whether the Irish man accepted and believed it, we have no way of knowing.

Colossians 1:23
21And you, who once were alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled 22in the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy, and blameless, and above reproach in His sight— 23if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister.

Old Today, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Ok, that guy in Ireland was likely a farmer and died by age 40. Pretty simple living and probably not a lot of extra time for religion and afterlife thoughts.

It still happens today: How many Americans follow teachings from spiritual leaders in Iran? Israel? How many folks in foreign countries follow Joel Osteen? Guy is pretty big in Texas and is seen by millions of people a year. I'd guess his market penetration rate is probably higher in a single year than Jesus was in his whole lifetime (due to technology, not the actual message).
It is within our human nature to seek out God. We see Him through His creation. Our hearts’ desire is to know Him.

Romans 1:20
For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.

Old Today, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I am not aware of a time in history when Christianity was a greater share of the world population than it is now -- and it's losing ground to Islam as well; according to Pew Research, within 2 or 3 decades there will be fewer Christians than Muslims and those two religions will trade places in that regard.

Given that "god is not willing that ANY should perish but that ALL should come to repentance", that's a pretty poor showing. Especially when you consider how many people throughout history have never "come to repentance". There are only a few possibilities here:

1) 100% of non-Christians reflects their disinterest, lack of caring, or outright rebellion against god, therefore, eternal perdition is just punishment.

2) 100% of non-Christians reflects god's disinterest in THEM. See: Calvinism.

3) The evangel isn't as compelling as Christians like to think that it is. Like a Star Trek fan who can't understand why everyone doesn't know the name of the captain who preceded Kirk on the Enterprise and isn't interested in learning to speak Klingonese, Christians think their ideology is self-evidently correct and compelling, but it's not.

3b) The evangel is compelling, actually, but the church is inept at communicating / selling it.

4) Through some interminable, arduous process, somehow everyone will eventually be redeemed.

5) It doesn't matter because all religions are a path to god.

6) It doesn't matter because some non-Christian religion or quasi-Christian sect of questionable dogma is the actual answer.

7) It's all holy horse-pucky -- god, devils, sin, redemption, all of it.

Maybe I've missed a possibility, but I suspect most here subscribe to one of those explanations.
“Few there be that find it.” (Matthew 7:14)

Why? Because man loves sin and himself more than God.

Old Today, 07:10 AM

16,690 posts, read 15,693,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
The gospel was preached to every creature under heaven, according to Paul.

Colossians 1
I doubt that Paul even knew that Ireland (or China, India, or Australia) even existed. We also know there were people in the Americas at that time, but there is no reason to think Paul ever preached to them. I think he referred to the AME, which is probably all that anybody knew existed.

Old Today, 07:21 AM

8,635 posts, read 9,146,585 times
Quote:
It's hard to imagine a scenario where someone in Ireland during the 1st Century would have even had a slight possibility of ever hearing of Jesus Christ, let alone know anything about his ministry.
Very slight, but impossible? Londres was founded by the Romans over 40 bc, later called London. What influence Romans had in Ireland back then would be an interesting subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity