Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 04:57 AM

6,803 posts, read 2,922,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Still don't believe you. If you aren't just making things up then I suspect that you are imagining all of this. God just doesn't interact with people the way you claim that God does with you.
I don't believe the poster either, at least not the 'religious experiences' that he claims as fact, even though the poster might sincerely believe these things have occurred. I would also be skeptical about the poster's early childhood experiences since the later ones are either intentionally fabricated or otherwise a symptom of delusion. If the poster is not simply playing games with us (it's possible), I'm wondering if he has ever been diagnosed with bipolar disorder or even schizophrenia. Religious delusional episodes are not uncommon in those suffering from these particular disorders.

https://www.verywellmind.com/religio...isorder-380485
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2024, 09:25 AM

11,133 posts, read 7,195,916 times
That's suspicious: a person claiming they have "become free of sinning". Even with the Christian salvation (process), it doesn't make us super-human and infallible. That's part of why we have to remain close to God, remain aware and vigilant of our actions, and remember our weaknesses and those of others.

That title gave off a Red Flag right away. Also, whatever God does, it's from him and for his glory. We don't need to discuss our lives and our histories. That can come across as grandstanding and ego-stroking.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 04-29-2024 at 10:07 AM..

Old 04-29-2024, 10:26 AM

6,089 posts, read 2,876,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstservant View Post
How did God's voice sound? Well, the first time I heard Him, I turned around to see who was speaking then at other times, especially when He was telling me something secret about a person near me, or in the same room it was more like a whisper.
The things I have bolded are what convince me that what you say is true. I've had "experiences", some being hearing an audible voice. It was most certainly not a hallucination. I was wide awake, not sleep deprived, not on any medications, not having drunk any alcohol or taken drugs of any sort. It's the clearest sounding thing I've ever heard in my life. Not that the voice itself was clear sounding, but the sound of the voice was the clearest thing I've ever heard. Not even new ear buds compare. It was a whisper through my left ear, as though someone were standing just inches away from me. It was so jarring, both times, that it made me turn around only to find no one behind me. A non-descript voice, too. Neither distinctly male, nor distinctly female sounding.

Of course, I refuse to outright say I heard God, as the voice never identified itself. It truly is a moving experience, nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstservant
We started a conversation, all of a sudden God interrupts, and says to me "Tell him he wants to know me, but he is afraid of what his friends will think, and that he is sneaking drugs on and off the base.
I've never heard anything like that. Of the two times I've heard something, it's always been short and to the point, as though "it" wasn't trying to interfere with my life too much. The first time was something rather personal. The second time saved the life of a pet.

Old 04-29-2024, 01:26 PM

20,066 posts, read 13,524,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I don't believe the poster either, at least not the 'religious experiences' that he claims as fact, even though the poster might sincerely believe these things have occurred. I would also be skeptical about the poster's early childhood experiences since the later ones are either intentionally fabricated or otherwise a symptom of delusion. If the poster is not simply playing games with us (it's possible), I'm wondering if he has ever been diagnosed with bipolar disorder or even schizophrenia. Religious delusional episodes are not uncommon in those suffering from these particular disorders.

https://www.verywellmind.com/religio...isorder-380485
What pegs my irony meter in situations like this is that quite often I've been told, particularly by fundamentalist Christians (which I used to be) that I could never have truly been one of them or I would never have left. This is very common circular reasoning, as they cannot imagine ever losing faith (or perhaps, simply dare not).

So I am loathe to tell this guy his faith isn't genuine because that happened to me. I would have raised exactly zero eyebrows in the fundamentalist world, I fit right in.

On the other hand I think what he's being told isn't that his faith isn't genuine, but that his experiences are questionable. Which I can be comfortable with, because my particular denomination taught me that experiences can be deceptive and should be questioned by default. Everything was supposed to be based on the Bible, not on experience. Experiences that did not conform with the Bible (or at least our hermeneutic / interpretation) were to be rejected out of hand.

I agree that mental health issues come into play when people are hearing actual voices and other hallucinations.

Any mental health professional will tell you that religious delusions and hallucinations are the most common kind overall. Although I think that just reflects that because most people are religious, most mentally ill people are religious, and so their concerns are religious and therefore their disordered thoughts have religious themes. But when those religious thoughts become an obsession or start to blur the line between reality and fantasy, then even most religious authorities will agree that there's a problem.

Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM

963 posts, read 574,064 times
I'll take "stuff that never happened" for 200, Alex.

Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM

11,133 posts, read 7,195,916 times
God spoke, and said the OP is full of it.

Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,410,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I'm sorry you went thru all of that.
I love you L8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstservant View Post
Thank you, it was very tough. BUT I wouldn't go back, not for any amount of money.
Glad you've found joy and purpose in your life, in spite of the trauma you experienced.

Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,410,437 times
I think you'll like this song, Rod.

My Life is Proof

Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM

23,206 posts, read 10,489,610 times
God only has one promise that he will see no sin in you, completely sinless. If one can submit his flesh to the will of the spirit, his submission hides his sin.

Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM

33,314 posts, read 26,512,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
God only has one promise that he will see no sin in you, completely sinless. If one can submit his flesh to the will of the spirit, his submission hides his sin.
Actually, what 'hides' our sin is the righteousness of Jesus which is credited or imputed to those who place their faith in Christ Jesus according to Romans chapters 3-5. The believer is 'clothed' in the righteousness of Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity