Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 08:26 PM

20,066 posts, read 13,524,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstservant View Post
I once knew a lady from the underground Russian / Christian Church, the one that was persecuted, not the state sponsored one. When we met, she said to me, you are an unusual, Christian, some people are called, and some are chosen, but you are both.
It seems to me that someone who is "called" (invited) inherently is already chosen, so it strikes me as kind of a meaningless statement.
Quote:
But the kicker is, I'm the worst candidate, there are much finer Christians than myself. God doesn't look at us that way, that is a good thing. His mercy and grace cover us.
Paul thought he was the worst also. The whole point of god's mercy is to render one's past irrelevant, is it not?

At any rate I would say there are lots of worse Christians than you, as way too many of them lack the epistemological humility to understand they don't know everything there is to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2024, 10:13 PM

10 posts, read 2,274 times
One thing for sure, only God knows...

Anyway, let's talk about something different.

I remember. after He spoke with me at the kitchen table that day, so many things became clear to me about real or true Christianity, how God deals with us, the relationship we have with Him, and Him with us.

The most striking thing to me, that shook me to my core, was when He asked me, "Do you have a problem with me using sin, to accomplish my will."

Then also hen He said "When I bring something to your attention, that I want to deal with, you just be totally honest with me, don't play the Pharisee, or hide".

It's all about trusting in His words, and in His love, like a baby in its mothers arms.

So, one day I'm out with the dogs, we are in the car, coming home. Out of the blue, the Lord speaks. He says how do you feel about your father and grandfather (both were very mean men), He said now remember what we talked about, you must be boldly and bluntly honest.

I said, "I don't care if they go to hell" Then He said, "But when I offered my mercy and grace to you, you gladly accepted it for yourself." Oh man I wept so hard, and said "father forgive them, and may I see them in heaven".

Old 04-27-2024, 10:23 PM

Shortly after this, maybe 2 months later. I was in Walmart; it was packed with people. I've never been a fan of crowds, nor comfortable around people. I liked being alone mostly. Anyway...

As I look around, I whisper to the Lord, "man there are a lot of people here" I actually didn't even know why I said that I didn't intend on saying it, but I did. I was just making a simple comment.

To my surprise He spoke back, saying "I'm going to make you comfortable with people" I laughed and replied, "how comfortable". It seemed to me He was laughing to, as if we were having an inside joke. The prospect didn't thrill me to say the least.

But I figured, OK sure, go ahead, because God always seems to take a long time with me, things / changes seem to happen every 20-40 years, so I wasn't too worried.

To my shock, maybe 3 weeks later, in the same store (packed again). He says "Do you notice anything different?"

I look around and notice I'm not uneasy at all. I said "yea, I would like to talk to all these people about Jesus"...

Old 04-28-2024, 09:32 AM

30,306 posts, read 23,784,547 times
OP, if what you wrote is true (I suspect you were dreaming), and you have found God, then that's wonderful.

What I always get caught up on is when people say, 'God spoke to me'. I always ask these questions and NEVER get answers.

What do you mean God 'spoke' to you?

Did you hear an audible voice?

Was it in your head?

Could it have been thoughts that entered your head?

Why would God pick and choose a person here and there to 'speak' to while never saying a word to all others who believe? What makes those people so special compared to everyone else?

What, exactly, did God's voice sound like?

I started my Christian journey in August 2020.

Thus far, God has never 'spoken' to me, as in, I hear a voice talking to me.

Have things happened that should not have happened, and were incredible - unbelievably incredible? YES! Enough to make me wonder because honestly, I don't have that kind of good luck.

But God sitting in a chair next to me at the dining room table and having a chat with me? No. And it shouldn't matter if I don't have a dining table with chairs, the point is, when people say, 'God spoke to me', I want to know exactly what that means, because I've never heard God talking to me.

Old 04-28-2024, 11:19 AM

15,885 posts, read 6,352,105 times
I'm sorry you went thru all of that.

Old 04-28-2024, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
OP, if what you wrote is true (I suspect you were dreaming), and you have found God, then that's wonderful.

What I always get caught up on is when people say, 'God spoke to me'. I always ask these questions and NEVER get answers.

What do you mean God 'spoke' to you?

Did you hear an audible voice?

Was it in your head?

Could it have been thoughts that entered your head?

Why would God pick and choose a person here and there to 'speak' to while never saying a word to all others who believe? What makes those people so special compared to everyone else?

What, exactly, did God's voice sound like?

I started my Christian journey in August 2020.

Thus far, God has never 'spoken' to me, as in, I hear a voice talking to me.

Have things happened that should not have happened, and were incredible - unbelievably incredible? YES! Enough to make me wonder because honestly, I don't have that kind of good luck.

But God sitting in a chair next to me at the dining room table and having a chat with me? No. And it shouldn't matter if I don't have a dining table with chairs, the point is, when people say, 'God spoke to me', I want to know exactly what that means, because I've never heard God talking to me.

I am almost 70 yrs old. I have seen a lot of charlatans and abuse. TV preachers making wild claims, people getting ripped off, people claiming to prophecy, while not really hearing from God. So, I can understand the skepticism.

No it was not a dream. I was wide awake and had been walking across the room, to look outside and to turn on the TV. It was like Paul, when he said in the body or in the spirit I do not know. Possible you struggle with Paul, claiming God spoke to him too? But I will give you a couple examples, to try and help.

I do agree, there are a lot of fakers and abusers in Christianity. I assume these people, no matter who they are, are make-believers, planted by Satan, this is not new, it has been going on since the 2nd century.

When I was young, I managed apartments, my children were young, and I also worked another job to make ends meet. I had this situation occur that really bothered me.

One day a tenant approached me, she was in a half body cast. She and her husband had been in a car accident. She asked if I could let them skip their rent, as neither could work. I wanted to help so bad, but I was only the manager, I didn't have that power.

I told her I had a hundred dollars in savings, I would give her half. I then asked her if she went to church. She said yes, they went to the Rock (I think that was the name) it was a mega church. She said they had been faithful members and tithed every week. She said they had gone to the pastor, and even though in a half cast. looking as they did, the church said they couldn't help, they had to re-pave the parking lot.

So, I agree, lots of abuse, scandals, liars, fakers, ETC. Now as to why? I have no idea, I'm not any better than anyone else, a lot worse than everyone else is more like it.

How did God's voice sound? Well, the first time I heard Him, I turned around to see who was speaking then at other times, especially when He was telling me something secret about a person near me, or in the same room it was more like a whisper.

Let me give you an example other than the ones in my first post. Years ago, I met this man who worked at a military installation.

We started a conversation, all of a sudden God interrupts, and says to me "Tell him he wants to know me, but he is afraid of what his friends will think, and that he is sneaking drugs on and off the base.

As soon as he heard this, he looked as if he was in shock. He asked how did you know that, I said I didn't until God told me. He like the kids in the car, in my first post, accepted Jesus into his life.

This has happened to me many times, but it was way more often in the Jesus movement, but when the Spirit lifted, it became much less frequent. Hope this helps.

Old 04-28-2024, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I'm sorry you went thru all of that.
Thank you, it was very tough. BUT I wouldn't go back, not for any amount of money.

Old 04-28-2024, 01:21 PM

33,314 posts, read 26,512,840 times
Quote:
I am almost 70 yrs old. I have seen a lot of charlatans and abuse. TV preachers making wild claims, people getting ripped off, people claiming to prophecy, while not really hearing from God. So, I can understand the skepticism.

No it was not a dream. I was wide awake and had been walking across the room, to look outside and to turn on the TV. It was like Paul, when he said in the body or in the spirit I do not know. Possible you struggle with Paul, claiming God spoke to him too? But I will give you a couple examples, to try and help.

I do agree, there are a lot of fakers and abusers in Christianity. I assume these people, no matter who they are, are make-believers, planted by Satan, this is not new, it has been going on since the 2nd century.

When I was young, I managed apartments, my children were young, and I also worked another job to make ends meet. I had this situation occur that really bothered me.

One day a tenant approached me, she was in a half body cast. She and her husband had been in a car accident. She asked if I could let them skip their rent, as neither could work. I wanted to help so bad, but I was only the manager, I didn't have that power.

I told her I had a hundred dollars in savings, I would give her half. I then asked her if she went to church. She said yes, they went to the Rock (I think that was the name) it was a mega church. She said they had been faithful members and tithed every week. She said they had gone to the pastor, and even though in a half cast. looking as they did, the church said they couldn't help, they had to re-pave the parking lot.

So, I agree, lots of abuse, scandals, liars, fakers, ETC. Now as to why? I have no idea, I'm not any better than anyone else, a lot worse than everyone else is more like it.

How did God's voice sound? Well, the first time I heard Him, I turned around to see who was speaking then at other times, especially when He was telling me something secret about a person near me, or in the same room it was more like a whisper.

Let me give you an example other than the ones in my first post. Years ago, I met this man who worked at a military installation.

We started a conversation, all of a sudden God interrupts, and says to me "Tell him he wants to know me, but he is afraid of what his friends will think, and that he is sneaking drugs on and off the base.

As soon as he heard this, he looked as if he was in shock. He asked how did you know that, I said I didn't until God told me. He like the kids in the car, in my first post, accepted Jesus into his life.

This has happened to me many times, but it was way more often in the Jesus movement, but when the Spirit lifted, it became much less frequent. Hope this helps.
Still don't believe you. If you aren't just making things up then I suspect that you are imagining all of this. God just doesn't interact with people the way you claim that God does with you.

Old 04-28-2024, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Still don't believe you. If you aren't just making things up then I suspect that you are imagining all of this. God just doesn't interact with people the way you claim that God does with you.

I'm going to be blunt with you, I won't hide from you what I really think, I hate when people do that, so I'm not going to do that with you.

2 points:

1). I really doubt you have God's Spirit

2) I really don't care if you believe me or not. That's not my problem.

Old 04-28-2024, 08:05 PM

11,903 posts, read 3,721,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Quote:
I'm going to be blunt with you, I won't hide from you what I really think, I hate when people do that, so I'm not going to do that with you.

2 points:

1). I really doubt you have God's Spirit

2) I really don't care if you believe me or not. That's not my problem.
Both of you seem to be blunt, and are both skeptical of the others testimony/opinion/belief

And you both are entitled to your own opinions about your own types of experiences and perceptions or lack of experiences as well

How do we test for God’s Spirit? Does Galatians 5 mean anything to you?

You seem to be naturally receptive to spiritual/psychic types of phenomena (which I believe comes through our senses/imagination) but I do think that with that type of ability there also comes the need to be able to use discernment and self-control as well

Welcome to the forum…

Last edited by Meerkat2; 04-28-2024 at 08:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity