Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 05:28 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times

Advertisements

Clear lens, I have a question for you. Is there any indication in any early Judeo-Christian texts of when Adam and Eve first consummated their union? I have always thought that it wasn't until they were cast out of Eden and that's the first time the Bible says Adam "knew" his wife, Eve. Could they have been sexually active, so to speak, while still in Eden and brought forth children? I have been taught that they were unable to procreate until after they were cast out, but nobody has ever been able to give me a good reason why. Many Christians seem to think that they could have had a great posterity and continued to live in Eden forever. I have no good arguments as to why they couldn't but this is what my religion teaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2024, 05:48 PM

8,475 posts, read 4,724,709 times
My understanding is that it wasn’t until after they were cast out, with all of the original sin, and the sin surrounding sexuality. Eden was supposed to be a playground for them, and the moment they were cast out, they were granted the burden of children, learning, and being of the world.

Old 04-15-2024, 06:41 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
My understanding is that it wasn’t until after they were cast out, with all of the original sin, and the sin surrounding sexuality. Eden was supposed to be a playground for them, and the moment they were cast out, they were granted the burden of children, learning, and being of the world.
I've always thought that, too, except that there wouldn't have been any sin involved even in Eden since they were a married couple.

Old 04-15-2024, 07:55 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Clear lens, I have a question for you. Is there any indication in any early Judeo-Christian texts of when Adam and Eve first consummated their union? I have always thought that it wasn't until they were cast out of Eden and that's the first time the Bible says Adam "knew" his wife, Eve. Could they have been sexually active, so to speak, while still in Eden and brought forth children? I have been taught that they were unable to procreate until after they were cast out, but nobody has ever been able to give me a good reason why. Many Christians seem to think that they could have had a great posterity and continued to live in Eden forever. I have no good arguments as to why they couldn't but this is what my religion teaches.
Don't know about "unable to create" - but God prevented them from procreating. Who knows if they had sexual relations or not before being put out. Not every sexual union results in children.

However, God is able to close and open the wombs of women at His will. Sarah, Hannah for example...

Old 04-15-2024, 09:04 PM

361 posts, read 317,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

Hi Katzpur;

That is an interesting question, partly because the very first commandment of God to Adam and his wife Eve was to “grow and multiply and fill the earth and dominate it” (Gen 1:28, LXX) and it is later that God gives Adam the prohibition of eating of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil.

It is also interesting because you are, historically, correct. The early Christian literature describes this very belief (that Adam and Eve would not have had Children absent moral knowledge.

For example, the early apocalypse of Adam, Adam is telling his son Seth regarding three messengers from God who came to Adam, to help Adam and to teach him. Then, the Lord God also stood in their presence and speaks to the couple regarding a future messiah who will come from the Children of Eve. At this point the text says :
“Then darkness fell over our (A&E) eyes…”then I was defiled] in the thought of my heart. I recognized a sweet desire for your mother. Then the vigor of our eternal knowledge perished in us, and feebleness pursued us. For this reason the days of our life became few, for I knew that I had become subject to the power of death. “Now then, my son Seth, I will reveal to you what was revealed to me by those men whom I once saw before me. (Apoc of Adam 2:1-6-7, ch 3:1)

That this “sweet desire” is not simply a fraternal fondness or non-physical love (which the records make clear that Adam already felt), but was a physical passion, the Prophet Baruch makes clear when he also describes the effect of the fall of mankind from a primal state :

“For when he transgressed, untimely death came into being, mourning was mentioned, affliction was prepared, illness was created, labor accomplished, pride began to come into existence, the realm of death began to ask to be renewed with blood, the conception of children came about, the passion of the parents was produced...” The apocalypse of Baruch (Baruch 2) 55:6

So, whether they would not have had children because they were physically unable, or simply did not have physical passion at that point, or for some other reason, I simply don't know and I can only speculate on very little data. It may be God wanted them to have moral knowledge and wisdom BEFORE having children so they could pass on this knowledge. (I simply don't know)

However, such early Christian texts confirm this was an early Christian belief.

Such ancient texts tell us that it was not only these three messengers of God, who came to Adam and gave him even more moral knowledge and understanding than he was given by the tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, but after Adams expulsion from the Garden, God continued to give Adam and Eve the very thing they wanted to obtain by partaking of the tree of knowledge of Good and Evil.

So, you are correct but I am not sure of the import of this point. I've honestly not studied why this belief might have been important to the early Christians such that it merited inclusion in their texts. If you have insights on this historical point, I would love to know more than I do about it.

Old 04-15-2024, 10:18 PM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times
Isn't the story of Adam and Eve no more than an allegory or even a legend? If so, how then can a discussion about something that never occurred lead to anywhere or to anything of value? We might just as well begin a thread as to what happened to Alice when she left Wonderland.

Old 04-16-2024, 03:41 AM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
Adan and Eve eat from the forbidden tree and stuck fig leaves together and hid their nakedness and were afraid. God asked Adam and Eve `Who told you that you were naked, did you eat from the tree I commanded you not to eat `` Everything were against them in Eden as if they had relations and got pregnant, where the bible is not clear ....... God took the tree of life away from them to protect the tree of their sin ..... Jesus told that He believed in the story and this was not a myth, as Adam and many of the firstborn after Adam lived for 900 years old which God was making and point of their witness of God

Old 04-16-2024, 08:08 AM

992 posts, read 782,612 times
74:6.2 (834.4) Adamson was the first-born of the violet race of Urantia, being followed by his sister and Eveson, the second son of Adam and Eve. Eve was the mother of five children before the Melchizedeks left—three sons and two daughters. The next two were twins. She bore sixty-three children, thirty-two daughters and thirty-one sons, before the default. When Adam and Eve left the Garden, their family consisted of four generations numbering 1,647 pure-line descendants. They had forty-two children after leaving the Garden besides the two offspring of joint parentage with the mortal stock of earth. And this does not include the Adamic parentage to the Nodite and evolutionary races.
https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book...4-adam-and-eve

76:4.8 (851.6) After becoming established in the second garden on the Euphrates, Adam elected to leave behind as much of his life plasm as possible to benefit the world after his death. Accordingly, Eve was made the head of a commission of twelve on race improvement, and before Adam died this commission had selected 1,682 of the highest type of women on Urantia, and these women were impregnated with the Adamic life plasm. Their children all grew up to maturity except 112, so that the world, in this way, was benefited by the addition of 1,570 superior men and women. Though these candidate mothers were selected from all the surrounding tribes and represented most of the races on earth, the majority were chosen from the highest strains of the Nodites, and they constituted the early beginnings of the mighty Andite race. These children were born and reared in the tribal surroundings of their respective mothers.

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book...-second-garden

Old 04-16-2024, 01:49 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Isn't the story of Adam and Eve no more than an allegory or even a legend? If so, how then can a discussion about something that never occurred lead to anywhere or to anything of value? We might just as well begin a thread as to what happened to Alice when she left Wonderland.
I don't think it can be proven either way. So, I put my faith in God and His Word that it happened.

Adam is mentioned in the lineage of Jesus.

In Jude, Enoch was seven generations from Adam.

Why would that not be real?

Old 04-16-2024, 02:20 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I don't think it can be proven either way. So, I put my faith in God and His Word that it happened.

Adam is mentioned in the lineage of Jesus.

In Jude, Enoch was seven generations from Adam.

Why would that not be real?
Evolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity