Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 09:39 AM

13,698 posts, read 8,021,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I don't believe our love for our loved ones here will ever diminish. I believe it will only grow.
This is not at all inconsistent with the concept of detachment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2024, 11:08 AM

28,127 posts, read 30,052,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
This is not at all inconsistent with the concept of detachment.
But why do you think that God wants us to be detached from those we loved more than anything in this life? What on earth good do you think could come of that?

Old 04-25-2024, 12:38 PM

13,698 posts, read 8,021,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
But why do you think that God wants us to be detached from those we loved more than anything in this life? What on earth good do you think could come of that?
Perhaps you are misunderstanding what I am meaning by "detachment". It's a well-known principle within Catholicism, but I suppose it's not really a thing in other branches of Christianity that lack the ascetical element. It's also been on my mind lately because I've been reading through some spiritual/mystical works.

Maybe this will clarify what I mean:

The Essence of Detachment

The good that will come of our detachment from created things is in fact the Absolute Good -- perfect union with God.

Old 04-25-2024, 01:54 PM

28,127 posts, read 30,052,176 times
Quote:
Perhaps you are misunderstanding what I am meaning by "detachment". It's a well-known principle within Catholicism, but I suppose it's not really a thing in other branches of Christianity that lack the ascetical element. It's also been on my mind lately because I've been reading through some spiritual/mystical works.

The good that will come of our detachment from created things is in fact the Absolute Good -- perfect union with God.
Thanks for the link, Mike. Unfortunately, while it clarified your position, It didn't convince me that this is what God wants. I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this.

Old 04-25-2024, 01:58 PM

32,036 posts, read 36,874,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
But when they sinned in Eden the curse on the woman was bearing children in pain and getting her painful period. Adam would have to work to provide for his offspring.
Seems like women have gotten stuck with quite a bit of work providing for their offspring as well. Wonder if that was part of the original plan?

Old 04-26-2024, 07:49 AM

8,183 posts, read 6,952,248 times
Quote:

Why would it be necessary to detach in order to have perfect union with God?
This makes no sense to me.

ok, so let's say you have detached and now have perfect union with God.
Now what?

What does this entail? What does this look like?
Do you just glom onto God and get absorbed by Him?
Your loved ones have also been absorbed and no longer exist as WHO they were, but are all just now a molecule of God, so to speak? All in "perfect union" but no more individuality?

Are there no more created things then, in "heaven" (or whatever you may call where we go or ultimately end up after this life.)

As you can see, I'm completely flummoxed and I have no idea what you are saying here.
I'm probably completely wrong in my understanding of your views, but I really don't know how else to view this. Would you be willing to help me understand your views? I read the link. That only made me more confused. I am genuinely curious. If I understand your views and just don't agree with them, that's fine. But when I DON'T understand someone's views.... it's like a splinter in my finger, it keeps bothering me.... I just want to KNOW what you mean. Once I know and understand, I'll leave you alone.

Old 04-26-2024, 09:11 AM

2,478 posts, read 1,468,335 times
Here is how I understand relationships in Heaven. We will be new creatures in Christ through and through. Think about this, how are we born on this earth? We have a human father and mother. Our bodies are the result of their cells (sperm and egg) and all the information they contain (chromosomes and DNA). So physically and relationally, they are our father and mother. And if we get married on this earth and reproduce, physically and relationally our offspring are our sons and daughters. All of this is flesh and earthly. In Jesus, we will be given a new body. One fashioned after Jesus. This body will not be made from cells of a human father and mother, but one coming directly from Jesus Himself. (Who I believe is God) And again, everyone in Christ will be made with this body. With that in mind, as it relate to each other, none of us will be relationally mother or father. None of us will be sons or daughters to each other. All of us will be of the same body, and Jesus will be our Adam/Husband, who His body came directly from God the Father.

So if this is the case, it wouldn't make sense for us to see our loved ones as husband, wife, or children. We will all be made after Jesus, and thus relationally we are all the same.

Last edited by Heavenese; 04-26-2024 at 10:14 AM..

Old 04-26-2024, 09:53 AM

1,003 posts, read 797,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Seems like women have gotten stuck with quite a bit of work providing for their offspring as well. Wonder if that was part of the original plan?
4. The Violet Race
76:4.1 (850.7) Adam and Eve were the founders of the violet race of men, the ninth human race to appear on Urantia. Adam and his offspring had blue eyes, and the violet peoples were characterized by fair complexions and light hair color—yellow, red, and brown.

76:4.2 (850.8) Eve did not suffer pain in childbirth; neither did the early evolutionary races. Only the mixed races produced by the union of evolutionary man with the Nodites and later with the Adamites suffered the severe pangs of childbirth.

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book...-second-garden

Old 04-28-2024, 08:19 AM

2,712 posts, read 1,216,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

I don't think it was part of Gods plan. Eve could provide with breast feeding and Adam did do his fatherly, husband part. Each one did their parenting. If I remember correctly back then when a mother was windowed or any woman was widowed the brother of the deceased husband could or would take care of the widowed woman. But back then women did live like we do in the USA and other countries. Back then women were not permitted to do anything without a husband.

I think the problem with women getting stuck with more providing for their children is in part their own fault. They get pregnant to get government assistance. Not all women do so don't jump on me for that sentence. It's also because of divorce, deadbeat dads/ex husbands, medical conditions.

My point is it was not in god's plan for parents to become parents while single. Yes people do sometimes become single parents due to death which is why God said to take care of the windows.

Last edited by staystill; 04-28-2024 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: But the pain in child bearing and painful period is the plan only after the fall.

Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM

178 posts, read 60,124 times
Adam and his Wife did not have reproductive organs when they were originally created.

The Forbidden Fruit is what gave the couple the ability to procreate the way the animals do now.

That is why we are born unto sin. We are born with reproductive organs. Angels do not have any.

Adam's Wife had a name change from Ishshah to Eve after the fall. This teaches that she was altered genetically.

In other words, she received a new identity along with her newly acquired womb, ovary, etc.

The Forbidden Fruit euphemism is way more of a profound teaching than most realize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity