Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 06:34 PM

10,074 posts, read 4,999,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Yes, they certainly would have been able to bear children while in Eden.
I touched on this a while back in another thread:
Agree because Adam and Eve were husband and wife in Eden - Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:5; Mark 10:7-8
They were to procreate - Genesis 1:28
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2024, 07:48 PM

13,698 posts, read 8,021,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
And it's "unreasonable" and wrong to have sex just as an expression of love between a husband and wife?
Certainly not unreasonable or wrong. But it's not perfection. I know your church disagrees, but we believe that there is no marriage and no conjugal relations in heaven. Marriage and sex are good, but they are earthly and not heavenly. We have those things on earth because they point to a greater reality which will be fully realized in heaven. Once the deeper reality is fully realized, there is no longer a need for the sign, symbol, or type.

Quote:
Personally, I don't believe they were sexually intimate until after the Fall. One of the reasons I say this is that if they didn't even know they were naked, they must not have had much sexual desire.
I think the use of the word "naked" is significant. The word "naked" implies a lacking of something. There is no reason to think that sexual desire couldn't exist even if they are figuratively "clothed" in the glory of God as they were prior to the Fall; it's just that they would have had perfect mastery of that desire and it was perfectly subordinated to reason.

Old 04-24-2024, 08:11 PM

28,127 posts, read 30,052,176 times
Quote:
Certainly not unreasonable or wrong. But it's not perfection. I know your church disagrees, but we believe that there is no marriage and no conjugal relations in heaven. Marriage and sex are good, but they are earthly and not heavenly. We have those things on earth because they point to a greater reality which will be fully realized in heaven. Once the deeper reality is fully realized, there is no longer a need for the sign, symbol, or type.
Does it ever bother you, Mike, to know that your wife will just be your former wife and your children will just be your former children once you get to heaven? That would be a tremendously difficult doctrine for me to accept.

Old 04-24-2024, 10:03 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,398,239 times
Quote:
Does it ever bother you, Mike, to know that your wife will just be your former wife and your children will just be your former children once you get to heaven? That would be a tremendously difficult doctrine for me to accept.
I can't speak for Mike,
but in the taste of heaven I've experienced being in intimate union with Christ and the Father entails a bond and union with ALL children that far-surpasses the bond and union I now have with my own biological children,
and a bond and union with ALL persons, female and male, that far surpasses the bond and union I currently share now with my earthly wife and all relatives, friends, etc.
Jesus said His kingdom of heaven was already in our midst - and through Him you will find it!

Old 04-25-2024, 07:51 AM

13,698 posts, read 8,021,297 times
Quote:
If it does bother me, it's only because I'm not sufficiently detached from the things of this world (which includes other people, even spouses and blood relations). We can't fully experience communion with God until we are no longer attached to earthly concerns.

Luke 14:26 "If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple."

Old 04-25-2024, 08:16 AM

8,183 posts, read 6,952,248 times
Quote:
If it does bother me, it's only because I'm not sufficiently detached from the things of this world (which includes other people, even spouses and blood relations). We can't fully experience communion with God until we are no longer attached to earthly concerns.

Luke 14:26 "If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple."
Why would God want you "sufficiently detached" from your loved ones?
That sounds more like an "anti-Christ" (meaning "anti-love") thought.
And cannot be correct.
In my opinion.

And people are not "things" of "this world".
People are His children.

Old 04-25-2024, 08:23 AM

569 posts, read 681,128 times
What do you think God was trying to tell us with the Immaculate Conception of Christ Jesus? God created Adam and Eve apart from the rest, as we can plainly see. God created Adam and Eve special, so special that there has been life and death in the world since them.
Matthew and Luke try to tell us how Christ is a direct descendent of the first Adam and is rightly called the "Last Adam",
from umbilical cord to umbilical cord, all the way down to The Virgin Mary. I believe Adam and Eve were seduced by satan, Eve gave birth to cain, and later, had children by Adam but..they originally were not created to procreate like the animals and the rest. Otherwise, what was God's reason for the Immaculate Conception and the point of it all?

Last edited by glenninindy; 04-25-2024 at 09:12 AM..

Old 04-25-2024, 08:57 AM

3,237 posts, read 1,619,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post
What do you think God was trying to tell us with the Immaculate Conception of Christ Jesus? God created Adam and Eve apart from the rest, as we can plainly see. God created Adam and Eve special, so special that there has been life and death in the world since them.
Matthew and Luke tell us explicitly, in detail, Christ is a direct descendent of the first Adam and is rightly called the "Last Adam",
from umbilical cord to umbilical cord, all the way down to The Virgin Mary. I believe Adam and Eve were seduced by satan, Eve gave birth to cain, and later, had children by Adam but..they originally were not created to procreate like the animals and the rest. Otherwise, what was God's reason for the Immaculate Conception and the point of it all?
Might be a fine point but “Immaculate Conception” refers to the conception of Mary, not Jesus. Mary is said to have been conceived and born without the stain of Original Sin.

Old 04-25-2024, 09:13 AM

28,127 posts, read 30,052,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Why would God want you "sufficiently detached" from your loved ones?
That sounds more like an "anti-Christ" (meaning "anti-love") thought.
And cannot be correct.
In my opinion.

And people are not "things" of "this world".
People are His children.
I'm with you 1000% on this. I can't even imagine being "sufficiently detached" from my husband, kids, parents, and sister to be okay with them being anything other than my husband, kids, parents, and sister throughout eternity. I don't believe our love for our loved ones here will ever diminish. I believe it will only grow.

Old 04-25-2024, 09:22 AM

8,183 posts, read 6,952,248 times
Quote:
I'm with you 1000% on this. I can't even imagine being "sufficiently detached" from my husband, kids, parents, and sister to be okay with them being anything other than my husband, kids, parents, and sister throughout eternity. I don't believe our love for our loved ones here will ever diminish. I believe it will only grow.
I had actually typed those two EXACT sentences in my original reply.
(I edited my post before I hit submit because I started rambling and had to just cut it off short.)
Literally reading each others minds here on this one, Katz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity