Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 10:22 AM

14,377 posts, read 11,783,157 times

Advertisements

The Bible says that no one knows the timeline of when events in the last times are going to happen. So when some “prophet” makes a specific prediction claiming to pinpoint the day(s), I know immediately that THAT’S not going to be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2024, 07:02 AM

37,508 posts, read 61,537,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL-5 View Post
He was considered righteous but he was still vulnerable to the devil because he lived his life in fear. Job said the thing he feared most had happened. When you live in fear , you give power to the enemy.
That is how our church teaches the book of Job.

And later when Job began ministering to his friends that was when he prospered.

Old 05-09-2024, 08:49 AM

5,520 posts, read 7,358,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godrestores View Post
As we know, the concluding message in that story is that God knows better than we do. Faith in God requires one to accept this, and yet it continues to bother me that we often are not given the specific purpose behind terrible things that happen for no apparent reason. Is it that we couldn't possibly understand or is it simply because God doesn't have to explain Himself?

If Job was already considered righteous and upright, then why did he have to lose everything? What did this accomplish?
Perhaps the story is to remind us that our relationship with our Good Lord is not transactional.
I don't get to act good to get good things.
God decides.

And to reminds us, the "good" is not of this earth. It's not wealth, things, possessions, healthy flesh etc..
All of which are fleeting and subject to decay.

Old 05-09-2024, 08:57 AM

The Ways of God are foolishness in the eyes of man.

- 1 Corinthians 2:14

Old 05-09-2024, 09:00 AM

11,155 posts, read 7,218,422 times
Quote:
As we know, the concluding message in that story is that God knows better than we do. Faith in God requires one to accept this, and yet it continues to bother me that we often are not given the specific purpose behind terrible things that happen for no apparent reason.
It's an example of faith and trust in God. There will always be matters we won't know or understand, but that's not to stop us. Sure, it's a challenge and can be bothersome, but we often move forward the most under difficulty. We won't understand other tricky matters like the early death of a child and cancer, but we are to move forward as best as possible despite the setbacks. We can't change imperfection, but we can soar even with it amongst us.

The human side will always steer towards complaint and frustration, but the spiritual / soul side wants to rise above it all. God set up a strong example - with extremes we'll never face - to show that even under those circumstances, we still have to get beyond our personal challenges and circumstances. If Job could do it, what's our excuse with our daily little problems?

Last edited by Thoreau424; 05-09-2024 at 09:18 AM..

Old 05-09-2024, 05:09 PM

20,091 posts, read 13,550,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
It's an example of faith and trust in God. There will always be matters we won't know or understand, but that's not to stop us. Sure, it's a challenge and can be bothersome, but we often move forward the most under difficulty. We won't understand other tricky matters like the early death of a child and cancer, but we are to move forward as best as possible despite the setbacks. We can't change imperfection, but we can soar even with it amongst us.
As an unbeliever, one has to move forward as best they can ... as a believer, one has to move forward as best they can ... potato, patahto. Might as well dispense with the cruft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
The human side will always steer towards complaint and frustration, but the spiritual / soul side wants to rise above it all. God set up a strong example - with extremes we'll never face - to show that even under those circumstances, we still have to get beyond our personal challenges and circumstances. If Job could do it, what's our excuse with our daily little problems?
I think that mature persons, who have the opportunity and assets and encouragement to get there, want to "rise above it all". But again ... making these statements which are equally true of believers and unbelievers alike begs the question: why be one or the other, if one's life is the same either way?

Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM

23,230 posts, read 10,518,009 times
Quote:
As we know, the concluding message in that story is that God knows better than we do. Faith in God requires one to accept this, and yet it continues to bother me that we often are not given the specific purpose behind terrible things that happen for no apparent reason. Is it that we couldn't possibly understand or is it simply because God doesn't have to explain Himself?

If Job was already considered righteous and upright, then why did he have to lose everything? What did this accomplish?
Job 1
2And there were born unto him seven sons and three daughters. 3His substance also was seven thousand sheep, and three thousand camels, and five hundred yoke of oxen, and five hundred she asses, and a very great household; so that this man was the greatest of all the men of the east.

On Rosh Hashanah was the day of the coronation of the king and so Jesus was put on a she ass and he road into town with people throwing down palm leaves under the asse's feet

This symbolism of the she ass is symbolizing the flesh where the spirt is riding the flesh, and the flesh feels will the spirit.

What is the symbolism of a yoke of oxen?

1 Corinthians Is the laws of oxen for men or for oxen?

Who goeth a warfare any time at his own charges? who planteth a vineyard, and eateth not of the fruit thereof? or who feedeth a flock, and eateth not of the milk of the flock?

8Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law the same also? 9For it is written in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen? 10Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope. 11If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things?

Are you a sheep?
A yoke of oxen? Who are you yoked to?
A she ass?
A camel?

Job is the earth's past present and future in the cycle of God.

You are going to die, but will you yourself live again?

Is Job showing Satan killing 7 sons and 3 daughters to Job getting 7 more sons and 3 more daughters? Or is the book of job showing the resurrection of his 7 sons and 3 daughters?

Well, just things to think about, I keep trying to write but it's always too long.

Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM

The sinfulness of Job's wives was great in leading his children astray and what his children did was heartbreaking. I mean, I feel sorry for Job.

Not much said about wives or children but enough.

Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
The sinfulness of Job's wives was great in leading his children astray and what his children did was heartbreaking. I mean, I feel sorry for Job.

Not much said about wives or children but enough.
Job's wife urged him to curse God and die.

I do not remember any mention of 'sin' from his wife, nor his children.

Please share the passage where you found this.

Old Today, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Job's wife urged him to curse God and die.

I do not remember any mention of 'sin' from his wife, nor his children.

Please share the passage where you found this.
It is so thick in the details that its overwhelming that Job was of a different religion as his wives or kids. Those kids had their own houses, they had their own yokes of oxen and you can bet their animals were not in the field but Job's animals were all in the field. The children had begun their courses of feasts, their holy days and that's why Job decided to sacrifice for his kids lest they did curse God. Its the same story as Cain, same as Solomon and others.

I would certainly say his kids were resurrected and that Job is symbolized in death..

Same deal between me and my kids, it's why I feel sorry for and still, there is great hope but I would slap both the wives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity