Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 05:52 PM

123 posts, read 21,717 times

Advertisements

I think people misunderstand what the bible means when it says a person is living in the fear of God. It doesn't mean they fear God as in the basic meaning of the word it means they are living a faithful life its simple how they described it back then.You can say that today about any devout religious person that they are living in the fear of God or if they died that they lived in the fear of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2024, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Since we are all created with free-will choices then 'No' God did Not know Job's outcome.
Job and Jesus too remained faithful to God out of their own free-will choice.
Adam proved unfaithful under perfect conditions (Eden)
Job and Jesus proved faithful under adverse conditions thus also showing No reason for Adam to be unfaithful.

Lets just say God had faith in him

Old 04-23-2024, 11:15 PM

63,943 posts, read 40,226,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul888 View Post
I think people misunderstand what the bible means when it says a person is living in the fear of God. It doesn't mean they fear God as in the basic meaning of the word it means they are living a faithful life its simple how they described it back then. You can say that today about any devout religious person that they are living in the fear of God or if they died that they lived in the fear of God.
Then you have completely missed the point. Jesus said God IS agape love and HE revealed and demonstrated what that meant on the Cross under excruciating life-and-death circumstances. He had no fear, just agape love, even for His torturers and murderers. Love casts out all fear. Unfortunately fear casts out love and our fearful primitive ancestors misinterpreted Jesus's act of love.

Old 04-24-2024, 08:05 AM

Your the one who miss understands what is this nonsense and what does it have to do with what I said.I simple said in the old testament that is how they described a religious person as living in the fear of God. I am not talking about Jesus. I am explaining the meaning of Living in the fear of God.What i said doesn't even have anything to do with the thread.

Old 04-24-2024, 07:49 PM

10,074 posts, read 4,995,238 times
Quote:
Lets just say God had faith in him
Good point ^above^ because Satan did Not have faith in God, and No faith in Job.
Satan challenged Job (Job 2:4-5) that under physical pressure (loose physical heath - Job 2:4-5) No one would continue to serve God.
Both Job and Jesus under adverse conditions proved Satan a liar and so can we.

Old 04-24-2024, 07:53 PM

10,074 posts, read 4,995,238 times
Quote:
I think people misunderstand what the bible means when it says a person is living in the fear of God. It doesn't mean they fear God as in the basic meaning of the word it means they are living a faithful life its simple how they described it back then.You can say that today about any devout religious person that they are living in the fear of God or if they died that they lived in the fear of God.
Not fear as in fright, but 'reverential fear' of displeasing God as a loving child would Not want to displease a loving parent.

Old 04-25-2024, 10:04 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,384,108 times
What needs to be kept in mind about the Story of Job is the cultural context and mindset back then. Assuming the story of Job really did unfold the way the bible says (and not just a newer Hebrew version of Ludlul-Bel-Nemeqi ), this takes place in Ancient Mesopotamia where death of family members was expected all the time due to vastly inferior medical practices and constant threats of conquering peoples and the Patriarchy ownership male mindset was the norm. Its apart of the reason why they had so many kids back then.

Heck, Job might have even lost several kids at birth or disease before he ended up with the ones that stayed alive since that was just the normal reality back then. So with this ancient Mesopotamian reality of life in combination with the view that his kids where apart of his ever changing property, getting double of what he had before would likely have seemed like a good return payment for his suffering. Would he have missed his first kids and lost property? Of course but it probably wouldn't have been considered nearly the blow it would be for a Job in modern day America due to the mindset back then.

Last edited by Jrhockney; 04-25-2024 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: Changed "Bible" to "Hebrew" for clarity

Old 04-25-2024, 04:33 PM

63,943 posts, read 40,226,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
What needs to be kept in mind about the Story of Job is the cultural context and mindset back then. Assuming the story of Job really did unfold the way the bible says (and not just a newer Hebrew version of Ludlul-Bel-Nemeqi ), this takes place in Ancient Mesopotamia where death of family members was expected all the time due to vastly inferior medical practices and constant threats of conquering peoples and the Patriarchy ownership male mindset was the norm. Its apart of the reason why they had so many kids back then.

Heck, Job might have even lost several kids at birth or disease before he ended up with the ones that stayed alive since that was just the normal reality back then. So with this ancient Mesopotamian reality of life in combination with the view that his kids where apart of his ever changing property, getting double of what he had before would likely have seemed like a good return payment for his suffering. Would he have missed his first kids and lost property? Of course but it probably wouldn't have been considered nearly the blow it would be for a Job in modern-day America due to the mindset back then.
This insight barely scratches the surface of the differences in mindset between our primitive ancient ancestors and modern-day humans. It is probably impossible to recreate their mindset within our minds. The mindsets of the relatively recent Silent Movie audiences are inaccessible. Our reactions to their serious and dramatic movies are hardly serious or dramatic. The minds from multiple millennia ago might as well be extraterrestrial aliens.

Old 04-25-2024, 04:47 PM

20,091 posts, read 13,550,188 times
Quote:
Indeed it is just an antiquated use of the word that means that one reveres, respects, and devotes oneself to god. On the other hand, ironically, many do that because they fear that if they do not, god will smite them either in the short term or eternally (and why not both?). And if that is the motivation, it's the wrong one.

Old 04-26-2024, 06:30 PM

147 posts, read 55,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
It accomplished that Satan's challenge ( Job 2:4-5 ) was wrong.
Satan challenged that under adverse conditions that No one would prove faithful to God.
Both righteous-and-upright Job and Jesus proved Satan a liar because under adverse conditions both proved faithful to God.
I hear this explanation a lot, but to me that doesn't sound like God. He has no need to prove anything to the devil.

I read their exchange at the beginning of the book as God being somewhat sarcastic, knowing fully well beforehand the objective he had for Job's life. Satan was underestimating Job and God already knew he was being underestimated, but he lets him loose on Job under "false pretenses" (for lack of a better term).

So I understand that many see Job's turmoil as merely a test, but the fact that there was a limit placed on what Satan was allowed to do to him suggests that God had a more specific purpose in mind. If He were only testing this man, He could have easily let the attacks keep coming until irreparable damage had been done.

I feel this is suggested further, beginning in the 38th chapter, where God reminds Job of His authorship of the entire universe and all its infinite details. I believe his suffering wasn't just a spiritual test, but it also had an earthly purpose that would change the course of the rest of Job's life. This is what I wish we got a deeper explanation for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity