Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 09:37 AM

64,094 posts, read 40,390,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
From several years of Sunday School, Catechism, and way too many hours in Church I disagree with the OP. I have attended many different Churches in my lifetime. The few things they all preach is you need to believe in GOD to avoid hell, you need to believe in GOD in the EXACT same way they do or you are going to hell, get as many of your friends as possible to convert to this very specific religion, and last but far from least GOD needs as much of your cash as possible.

Just because I do not believe in GOD does not mean I am against it. Religion in most forms are great for everyone as they push the be a better person aspect we all need more of. The gloom and doom scare tactics are a little outdated but they seem to still work. Some of my fondest memories of Sunday school was how they used bible verses to scare you into thinking the world was about to end because of the bible predicting all this stuff that was true in the 70s. Like psychics religious people forget all the wrongs and focus on anything even remotely correct. I also liked the beyond silly fake magic tricks the Pastor used to do to make the kids think GOD gave him some special powers.
The bold is about belief in RELIGION, not belief in God. You agree with the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2024, 02:53 PM

45,837 posts, read 27,476,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
From several years of Sunday School, Catechism, and way too many hours in Church I disagree with the OP. I have attended many different Churches in my lifetime. The few things they all preach is you need to believe in GOD to avoid hell, you need to believe in GOD in the EXACT same way they do or you are going to hell, get as many of your friends as possible to convert to this very specific religion, and last but far from least GOD needs as much of your cash as possible.

Just because I do not believe in GOD does not mean I am against it. Religion in most forms are great for everyone as they push the be a better person aspect we all need more of. The gloom and doom scare tactics are a little outdated but they seem to still work. Some of my fondest memories of Sunday school was how they used bible verses to scare you into thinking the world was about to end because of the bible predicting all this stuff that was true in the 70s. Like psychics religious people forget all the wrongs and focus on anything even remotely correct. I also liked the beyond silly fake magic tricks the Pastor used to do to make the kids think GOD gave him some special powers.
Sorry you had a bad experience. It doesn't negate anything about God and Jesus Christ.

Old 04-21-2024, 05:17 PM

18,537 posts, read 9,231,142 times
A Christianity without Hell is like a shark without teeth. The same is true for Islam.

Those two religions didn't conquer half the world by teaching a vague spirituality.

Old 04-21-2024, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
A Christianity without Hell is like a shark without teeth. The same is true for Islam.

Those two religions didn't conquer half the world by teaching a vague spirituality.
False

Old 04-21-2024, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Your comment seems apt regarding those two religions. But it is a sad commentary on the spiritual development and evolution of humanity that a motivator designed to tame ignorant and uncivilized savages retains its effectiveness for over two millennia and counting!!! I weep for humanity.

Old 04-21-2024, 05:59 PM

1,114 posts, read 640,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I am afraid you are right, sparrow. It is very sad.
It's only sad to you. In the final analysis, a belief in things that we have no proof of existing is very sad. You have your belief that's based on nothing more than reading an ancient book, but a lot of people want proof before they believe something. That makes a lot of sense to me. I'm not going to believe something just because someone else believes it. If you're comfortable w/ your beliefs, just remember that they're only your beliefs. Other people are entitled to theirs as well. No one owns the truth, and a belief is by definition something that is not necessarily the truth, its only the truth that someone else believes to be true.

Old 04-21-2024, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
It's only sad to you. In the final analysis, a belief in things that we have no proof of existing is very sad. You have your belief that's based on nothing more than reading an ancient book, but a lot of people want proof before they believe something. That makes a lot of sense to me. I'm not going to believe something just because someone else believes it. If you're comfortable w/ your beliefs, just remember that they're only your beliefs. Other people are entitled to theirs as well. No one owns the truth, and a belief is by definition something that is not necessarily the truth, its only the truth that someone else believes to be true.
The bold is incorrect. My belief is based on my encounter in deep meditation. I spent several decades in the sciences to convince my intellect that it is possible. I succeeded. The book contained a mind (Jesus) that matched the mind of God I encountered. That is why I am Christian.

Old 04-21-2024, 07:02 PM

202 posts, read 46,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your comment seems apt regarding those two religions. But it is a sad commentary on the spiritual development and evolution of humanity that a motivator designed to tame ignorant and uncivilized savages retains its effectiveness for over two millennia and counting!!! I weep for humanity.
But you are just talking about inner beliefs, as opposed to the spirituality of a person's behavior. It doesn't seem to have any meaning. It's just words.

Old 04-21-2024, 07:31 PM

75 posts, read 15,331 times
People don’t go to hell after they physically die. It is a state of being that God sees them in.

Just as heaven is not a place you go to after you die. It is a place for a certain type of individual that God sees.

“The heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament proclaim the works of His hand.”

Old 04-21-2024, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
The fact that you are here (read humans in general) is proof of a higher power who created you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity