Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 03:27 PM

33,220 posts, read 26,412,135 times

Advertisements

Just curious, but as a Christian, and particularly as a fundamentalist Christian, what is your opinion about Bart Ehrman? I like him and like listening to him. I obviously don't agree with him on certain issues but do on others, but I like him.

What about you? Is he in your opinion, oh, I don't know . . .devil spawn, is he out to destroy your faith (he's not), do you ward him off with garlic, oh wait, that's for vampires. What do you think about him? Again, just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2024, 03:53 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Just curious, but as a Christian, and particularly as a fundamentalist Christian, what is your opinion about Bart Ehrman? I like him and like listening to him. I obviously don't agree with him on certain issues but do on others, but I like him.

What about you? Is he in your opinion, oh, I don't know . . .devil spawn, is he out to destroy your faith (he's not), do you ward him off with garlic, oh wait, that's for vampires. What do you think about him? Again, just curious.
He's a very learned atheist. I respect his scholarly knowledge, but he makes some assumptions that one would expect from an atheist. And due to those assumptions, he gets a lot wrong. I cannot recommend him for anyone that wants an unbiased view of Biblical truths.

This is an interesting conversation that kind of sums up Ehrman's view. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD7kMRoLJkU

Old 04-02-2024, 05:14 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,683,545 times
I found this which I found quite interesting, he is actually questioning the reasons and purpose and this is what is required of those who leave the traditional, doctrinal, ritualistic behind

https://ehrmanblog.org/why-i-am-not-a-christian/

Agnostic, atheist, is still just part of the ‘artificial’ labelling, naming, calling in relationship to ‘religion’

The names and descriptions are necessary down here for differentiation, grouping, sorting, etc but lose their relevance at the higher non-physical ‘spiritual’ type levels

He feels he can’t identify as Christian and I thinks it’s because of how Christianity itself operates and has the dominion down here and the traditional religious way is for individuals to conform to the church systems and serve the organisations and be useful to them… it is self centred

Old 04-02-2024, 06:33 PM

155 posts, read 27,581 times
I listened to him when I deconstructed years ago. But he doesn't interest me now that I have faith.

Old 04-02-2024, 06:37 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,683,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaveOnn View Post
I listened to him when I deconstructed years ago. But he doesn't interest me now that I have faith.
I think we all need to ‘go on’ in our own asking, seeking, and with our own personal and individual faith we will find the information or assembly that suits our own particular needs, and that we are ready for, at the time that we need it.

Old 04-02-2024, 08:39 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Great scholar. Watch some of his debates with WL Craig, 3 with Mike Licona and especially his nemesis, Dan B Wallace in about 4 bruising debates. Ehrman pretty much wipes the floor with them so don't expect much of a contest.

Old 04-02-2024, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Great scholar. Watch some of his debates with WL Craig, 3 with Mike Licona and especially his nemesis, Dan B Wallace in about 4 bruising debates. Ehrman pretty much wipes the floor with them so don't expect much of a contest.
Ehrman and Wallace are actually friends even though opponents in their debates.

Old 04-02-2024, 09:11 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Ehrman and Wallace are actually friends even though opponents in their debates.

I'm not surprised. And I think it's nice that people on opposite sides of the fence professionally don't let their work get in the way of their personal relationships. I know of attorneys who blast each other in the courtroom and then go out for drinks at the end of the day to shoot the breeze. Lots of mutual respect for one's adversaries out there.

PS I think you and I could be great friends outside of CD, Mike. Two giants of intellect debating the great secrets of the universe--able to bury the hatchet, as long as one of us was willing to turn around.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 04-02-2024 at 09:29 PM..

Old 04-02-2024, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I'm not surprised. And I think it's nice that people on opposite sides of the fence professionally don't let their work get in the way of their personal relationships. I know of attorneys who blast each other in the courtroom and then go out for drinks at the end of the day to shoot the breeze. Lots of mutual respect for one's adversaries out there.

PS I think you and I could be great friends outside of CD, Mike. Two giants of intellect debating the great secrets of the universe--able to bury the hatchet, as long as one of us was willing to turn around.
Let me know when you make that turn.

Old 04-06-2024, 07:45 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
“Two giants of intellect”

Don’t break your arm patting yourself on the back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity