Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 04:01 PM

10,695 posts, read 7,192,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Happy New Years, Katz. Since I believe that miracles are possible I do not outright reject the possibility of Lot's wife being turned into a pillar of salt (she was a very Salty woman after all ) and Jonah being swallowed by a big fish, but it does seem that they are just stories. In the case of Jonah, there is no historical evidence that Ninevah ever changed its ways. And I doubt very much that an entire city would so easily be convinced simply on the say so of Jonah that they needed to repent to avoid destruction.
The city of Sodom exists and was discovered and you can visit it, its full of human bones and you can burn the balls of sulfur today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQl4KaRtef8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2024, 04:54 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,710,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I did not realize that you are the arbiter of right vs wrong. You alone can determine who is a prophet and who can not be a prophet. I used to think that God made those decisions, I guess I was wrong.

Biblical prophets were often men who made bad choices, considering Balaam, or Korah.

we revere the prophets and messengers and affirm their perfect morals,
and their Lord Almighty has protected them from committing major sins.

the Torah as it exists today is not that which God sent down to Moses (peace be upon him).
Rather it has been distorted in all ways, adding, subtracting and changing the meaning.

another lie in the Bible is

God wrestled with Jacob for an entire night, and Jacob overpowered him

Genesis 32:28 ESV
Then he said, “Your name shall no longer be called Jacob,
but Israel, for you have striven with God and with men, and have prevailed.”

also the current Gospel is not the Gospel of Jesus

Old 01-02-2024, 06:20 PM

64,076 posts, read 40,356,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post

the Torah as it exists today is not that which God sent down to Moses (peace be upon him).
Rather it has been distorted in all ways, adding, subtracting and changing the meaning.

Islam is an Abrahamic religion that is born of sibling rivalry (Ishmael vs. Isaac) to compete with the very successful Christianity which was born from Judaism, IMO. Your posts do not belong in the Christianity forum. They should be in the R&S or Islam forum.

Old 01-02-2024, 06:39 PM

Quote:

The Dead Sea Scrolls proved that Islam is a complete sham.

Old 01-02-2024, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Islam is an Abrahamic religion that is born of sibling rivalry (Ishmael vs. Isaac) to compete with the very successful Christianity which was born from Judaism, IMO. Your posts do not belong in the Christianity forum. They should be in the R&S or Islam forum.
a verse in the language of Jesus from the Bible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN9iAi4l2gA

Old 01-02-2024, 07:34 PM

37,586 posts, read 61,665,256 times
Quote:
a verse in the language of Jesus from the Bible
A Gospel passage from the Pe****ta Aramaic texts?

I think the only English translation of those is George M. Lamsa' text. My church loves using the Lamsa text.

Old 01-02-2024, 07:35 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 4 days ago)

35,913 posts, read 18,217,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Some things in the Bible CAN'T be true, but 2 Samuel 11:3-5 isn't one of them. As Katz said, prophets are human. If you want to talk about things in the Bible that can't be true, try the Genesis creation and flood stories.
I agree. I thought the bible verse was going to be Jonah in the belly of the whale, or Methuselah who lived over 900 years, or the Ark, which contained a male and female of EVERY SPECIES ON EARTH, etc.

The story quoted in the OP is completely and totally believable, and so human.

Old 01-02-2024, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
You know what David also sent her husband off to war so he would die and he could wed her. Then God killed the baby as it was born out of sin so that they could have another one (King Solomon which is also in Jesus's bloodline). David was punished and went from being the greatest King of Israel and War leader to having a time of trouble and pain as a result of this.

David was annointed to be king, prophets are human and maje mistakes. There are righteous prophets and ones that have done sins, the only one who was perfect was Jesus. The Bible is a full of stories to give guidance on how we should live our lives but obviously we are all human and mess up.
The moral of the story is that David repented for this massive sin with all his heart and gave himself back to the Lord. David blessed him with King Solomon.

Old 01-03-2024, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I agree. I thought the bible verse was going to be Jonah in the belly of the whale, or Methuselah who lived over 900 years, or the Ark, which contained a male and female of EVERY SPECIES ON EARTH, etc.
do you beleive Moses parting the sea?

Quote:
The story quoted in the OP is completely and totally believable, and so human.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
The moral of the story is that David repented for this massive sin with all his heart and gave himself back to the Lord. David blessed him with King Solomon.

not for a prophet

and here is another one not true about another prophet

Genesis 19:35-36 ESV
So they made their father drink wine that night also.
And the younger arose and lay with him,
and he did not know when she lay down or when she arose.

Thus both the daughters of Lot became pregnant by their father.

Old 01-03-2024, 03:44 AM

9,703 posts, read 10,072,863 times
Then the baby of David and Bathsheba died as it got sick and David prayed for the baby, but it died, and then God and sin of David and Bathsheba got blamed for the death of this baby...........2 Samuel 12;15-17 Show that David and the author of 2 Samuel did not know God very much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity