Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2024, 08:39 PM

6,820 posts, read 2,946,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
It depends what level the death pertains to - the death of a nation? And nations get raised up to receive their rewards/punishment depending on how they have treated those who are in service to them.
I guess the traditional mainstream Christian belief of 'hell' as being the place where 'everlasting punishment of the wicked' is carried out is what I'm referring to. It simply doesn't make sense and I'm waiting for someone to come on board and explain why, to them, it does make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2024, 08:53 PM

64,009 posts, read 40,312,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
I guess the traditional mainstream Christian belief of 'hell' as being the place where 'everlasting punishment of the wicked' is carried out is what I'm referring to. It simply doesn't make sense and I'm waiting for someone to come on board and explain why, to them, it does make sense.
Thye have a strong sense of vengeance and they do not want to believe anyone "gets away with anything," IMO.

Old 04-13-2024, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Thye have a strong sense of vengeance and they do not want to believe anyone "gets away with anything," IMO.
That explanation DOES appear to be the ONLY explanation as to why eternal punishment of 'the wicked' holds so much 'appeal' (< ?) to so many ...even though most would say that 'God's revenge' is not the purpose behind mainstream Christianity's teaching of 'hell' and 'hellfire'. This is why it would be interesting to hear from others as to why 'eternal punishment' can possibly be justified OTHER THAN as an act of vengeance.

I doubt that any other answer that makes any sense to the question will be forthcoming in the immediate future.

Old 04-17-2024, 07:04 PM

4 posts, read 692 times
i can say with confidence that everyone is put into hell ,in one form or another . hell is the place of destruction. a hole is dug into the earth, a dead body is put into it and dirt is used to fill in the hole . in time the body is destroyed. Another form of hell is cremation,the body is burned up , and turned to dust.

Old 04-17-2024, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misser View Post
i can say with confidence that everyone is put into hell ,in one form or another . hell is the place of destruction. a hole is dug into the earth, a dead body is put into it and dirt is used to fill in the hole . in time the body is destroyed. Another form of hell is cremation,the body is burned up , and turned to dust.
Yes, that IS the biblical definition of 'hell'; however, 'the blessed hope' as I think Paul calls it, is that the dead will be later raised in a similar manner to that of Adam at Creation.

Hmmm . . .did I just dig myself into a hole?

Old 04-17-2024, 08:00 PM

10,095 posts, read 5,014,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Yes, that IS the biblical definition of 'hell'; however, 'the blessed hope' as I think Paul calls it, is that the dead will be later raised in a similar manner to that of Adam at Creation.
Good one because I suppose one could say the grave is a hole.
Does anyone righteous go to hell ___________
I find at Acts 2:27 that dead righteous Jesus went to hell the day he died.
Jesus and the OT both teach ' sleep ' (Not pain) in death
see - Psalms 6:5; 13:3; 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5 and Jesus' words at John 11:11-14; John 6:40,44.
(Remember: there was No post-mortem penalty for Adam, No double jeopardy to be paid by dead Adam, thus none for anyone else)
Then biblical hell is simply mankind's temporary stone-cold grave (hole) for the sleeping dead til Resurrection Day.
Resurrection Day meaning: Jesus' coming Millennium-Long Day of governing over Earth for a thousand years.
Yes, a later physical resurrection for the majority of mankind.
Only those who are part of the first resurrection, or earlier resurrection, are raised to heavenly life - Rev. 20:6; 5:9-10.
The rest of us can be part of the humble meek who will 'inherit the Earth' as promised at Matt. 5:5 from Psalms 37:9-11; 22:26

Old 04-17-2024, 08:14 PM

10,095 posts, read 5,014,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misser View Post
In the King James Bible Version we find the word Gehenna was translated into English as: hell fire.
Gehenna was just a garbage pit outside of Jerusalem where things were destroyed.
Thus, Gehenna is a fitting word for: destruction.
Scripture teaches it is the wicked who end up ' destroyed forever ' - Psalms 92:7; 104:35; 145:20; Proverbs 2:21-22
Biblical hell is the temporary stone-cold grave for the sleeping dead. - Acts 24:15
That is why Jesus and the OT both teach ' sleep ' in death - Psalm 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5; John 11:11-14
Sleep in death (R.I.P.) until Resurrection Day meaning: Jesus' coming Millennium-Long Day governing over Earth for a thousand years. - 1st Corinthians 15:24-26; Isaiah 25:8

Old 04-17-2024, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Good one because I suppose one could say the grave is a hole.
Yes, while the irony was intended ...I also used that expression because I don't believe the Adam creation story is to be taken literally. And yet I said that the dead will ...well, you can read the rest.

Old Today, 08:16 AM

7 posts, read 555 times
Hell doesn't want you to know about it. That's how Satan can't beat you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pVD7d2PJaM

Old Today, 09:53 AM

140 posts, read 29,572 times
Everyone was condemned in the fall God didn't do it Satan did.God is offering a way out.If the fall of mankind did not happen then Jesus did not have to make the sacrifice but he did make that sacrifice its why he came.

Some of these people doing all the condemning are going to find themselves there.I think it gives them a feeling of power they forget they are sinners too.Everyone has a chance of being saved right up till the last second of life according to the faith. The Gospel is a Gospel of hope but some preach fear to gain believers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity