Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2022, 07:16 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSong View Post
Everyone will become believers in Christ through faith alone and thus everyone will be saved and go to Heaven
How does one become a believer in Christ through faith alone after death?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2022, 07:20 AM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
How does one NOT?

Old 12-22-2022, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
How does one NOT?
??

If you die and see Christ face to face, then it's no longer definitionally possible to have faith.

Is there some scenario that plays out after death, a test of some kind? I'm just wondering how the mechanics of this are supposed to work.

Old 12-22-2022, 08:45 AM

Quote:
??

If you die and see Christ face to face, then it's no longer definitionally possible to have faith.

Is there some scenario that plays out after death, a test of some kind? I'm just wondering how the mechanics of this are supposed to work.
How do you define faith?

Old 12-22-2022, 08:52 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
How do you define faith?
Hebrews 11:1 - Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

I think the underlined is his point.

Old 12-22-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Hebrews 11:1 - Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

I'd rather hear it from Mike. I understand what faith means, but I'd like to understand how Mike sees faith as a salvation issue, basically. Meaning, Mike, are you saying that faith alone is how one is "saved"? That once you die, if you were an unbeliever during your life, that that's it..... there is no hope for that person? What exactly do you believe?

It's difficult to have a conversation with someone if you don't understand, at least, the core perspective of the other person.

Old 12-22-2022, 09:37 AM

Quote:
How do you define faith?
Quote:

Quote:
I'd rather hear it from Mike. I understand what faith means, but I'd like to understand how Mike sees faith as a salvation issue, basically. Meaning, Mike, are you saying that faith alone is how one is "saved"? That once you die, if you were an unbeliever during your life, that that's it..... there is no hope for that person? What exactly do you believe?

It's difficult to have a conversation with someone if you don't understand, at least, the core perspective of the other person.
DRob is correct. I have "faith" that when I sit in the chair, it will not collapse under me. When I actually sit in the chair and is does not collapse, I no longer have faith, but assurance.

I have "faith" that Christ died for me, rose from the dead, and is seated at the right hand of God. When I die and see Christ face to face, my faith gives way to assurance. That's why Paul says that of faith, hope, and love, love is the greatest. Faith and hope give way, while love remains for eternity.

And *no*, I do not believe in salvation by faith alone. However, I was attempting to engage HSong on his terms, since he does believe in faith alone.

Old 12-22-2022, 09:54 AM

Quote:
DRob is correct. I have "faith" that when I sit in the chair, it will not collapse under me. When I actually sit in the chair and is does not collapse, I no longer have faith, but assurance.

I have "faith" that Christ died for me, rose from the dead, and is seated at the right hand of God. When I die and see Christ face to face, my faith gives way to assurance. That's why Paul says that of faith, hope, and love, love is the greatest. Faith and hope give way, while love remains for eternity.

And *no*, I do not believe in salvation by faith alone. However, I was attempting to engage HSong on his terms, since he does believe in faith alone.
Ok, great. What you wrote above, you put it quite well, and I agree 100% and view it the same way.

Old 12-22-2022, 10:22 AM

11,895 posts, read 3,683,545 times
Quote:
Just my suggestion...

Preach Jesus... don't preach the outcome. Leave the outcome to Jesus to do as He wills.

Universalism is worshiping an outcome - not the person of Christ. Same goes for those who preach a predominate hellfire type of message.
I don’t think either is worshipping the outcomes

It has more to do with not understanding the scope of what Jesus did at that particular time - and both sides not understanding the other’s perspectives

We all see it from very limited perspectives

I totally agree about preaching Jesus, but that is what HSong is doing - preaching what he sees from his perspective

Old 12-22-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I don’t think either is worshipping the outcomes

It has more to do with not understanding the scope of what Jesus did at that particular time - and both sides not understanding the other’s perspectives

We all see it from very limited perspectives

I totally agree about preaching Jesus, but that is what HSong is doing - preaching what he sees from his perspective
But either everyone goes to heaven or they don't. The ramifications are monumental and worthy of inquiry and debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity