Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2022, 09:52 AM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Certainly there needs to be a balance.

I think on the whole, people more often have a tendency to overinflate their own "goodness" and minimize/trivialize their own "badness", rather than vice versa. But maybe it's just me who tends to do that
Ha, but that is what I mean exactly. You have the presence of mind to understand that what you see as negative in others may just be a reflection of what is in yourself. That is maturity.

Needing balance is absolutely true of all of us!

Old 12-13-2022, 10:18 AM

11,895 posts, read 3,687,881 times
Quote:
Certainly there needs to be a balance.

I think on the whole, people more often have a tendency to overinflate their own "goodness" and minimize/trivialize their own "badness", rather than vice versa. But maybe it's just me who tends to do that
And this is not just personally either

It gets worse when more people gather together and become ‘one’ in purpose

This inflation and multiplication has repercussions

You like to inflate your faith and minimise others faith, but it’s not just you who does that, we each can only view things from our own perspectives
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2022, 10:24 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Popular, but moldy now, Internet claim. "We" don't all live in that world, and I suspect if that is really a thing, those 4-year-olds are now only 14.

My kid is 31, played softball and basketball, pretty much sucked at both, but she never got "participation trophies".

The other side of your claim, though, that everyone needs to be "reminded"--and always by those who don't ever seem to look inward, only at others--of what low-life, wrongful sinners they are, day in, day out, is exactly what is causing people to walk away from the dark negativity of churches that see them that way.
I'm 49. And I did get participation trophies.

And yes, I do believe that if most Americans looked inward and were aware of how sinful their own hearts were, and then repented in light of a holy God, this nation would be much better.

The interesting thing is, for all this talk about how it's always my side that are the hurtful ones, you've been known to throw some pretty good ones yourself. Both to people that used to be here, as well las ones that are currently. You and your side are not blameless. But it's true that one can usually only see the fault in others.

Old 12-13-2022, 10:29 AM

15,853 posts, read 6,313,875 times
Quote:
There's definitely truth in that. But just as familial and civil authority are legitimate things, so too is spiritual authority.
No human has spiritual authority over me. Only God does and He allows what He allows. You really think you're in control? Haha

Old 12-13-2022, 10:32 AM

11,070 posts, read 7,142,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
No human has spiritual authority over me. Only God does and He allows what He allows. You really think you're in control? Haha

It's funny what some of the overly-religious church lovers suggest here at times, as though churches are the ultimate measure of God, church staff can do no wrong, and any card-carrying member can waive his/her finger at others with "authority".

Last edited by Thoreau424; 12-13-2022 at 10:56 AM..

Old 12-13-2022, 10:50 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
Quote:
No human has spiritual authority over me. Only God does and He allows what He allows.
I understand that you do not recognize or submit to any spiritual authority. However, just because you do not recognize lawful spiritual authority, does not mean that it does not exist. Even Jesus Himself recognized the lawful authority of the Pharisees (Matthew 23:2-3).

Quote:
You really think you're in control? Haha
I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. I have control over some things, namely my own actions; but all in all I have control over very little.

Old 12-13-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I understand that you do not recognize or submit to any spiritual authority. However, just because you do not recognize lawful spiritual authority, does not mean that it does not exist. Even Jesus Himself recognized the lawful authority of the Pharisees (Matthew 23:2-3).

I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. I have control over some things, namely my own actions; but all in all I have control over very little.
I take responsibility for myself if that's what you mean. My arguments stand on their own good or bad. I need not hide behind an authority. God knows where I am. If He wants me He'll come get me.

Old 12-13-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I take responsibility for myself if that's what you mean. My arguments stand on their own good or bad. I need not hide behind an authority. God knows where I am. If He wants me He'll come get me.
This is the radical difference between the religious systems which only have jurisdiction here and the spiritual that has jurisdiction ‘there’

You and Mike are speaking of totally different things I believe, and I also think he’s already got you

Old 12-13-2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
This is the radical difference between the religious systems which only have jurisdiction here and the spiritual that has jurisdiction ‘there’

You and Mike are speaking of totally different things I believe, and I also think he’s already got you
I'll stay where I am then.

Old 12-13-2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I'll stay where I am then.
Yep, the point is not to go back into bondage or under another teacher once you have left ‘the system’ we are to use what we learnt under the system in a different way

Gal 5:1**Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

Gal 5:18**But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

I can’t speak for you obviously but what you have shared has a lot of similarities to what I have experienced
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity