Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2022, 07:24 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times

Advertisements

Let's not be like the priests, Pharisees, and doctors of the law.

From Meditations for Advent by Jacques-Benigne Bossuet:

Those who said "we see" (John 9:41) and who blinded themselves by their presumption: have they better comprehended Jesus Christ? No, the priests did not comprehend him. The Pharisees did not comprehend him. The doctors of the law did not comprehend him. Jesus Christ was an enigma to them. They could not suffer the truth, for it humiliated, corrected, and condemned them. And they in their turn humiliated, tormented, contradicted, and crucified truth itself.

Do we comprehend it, we who call ourselves his disciples, but who nonetheless wish to please men and ourselves? Let us humble ourselves and say: the light still shines in the darkness every day by faith and the gospel, but the darkness has not comprehended it, and Jesus Christ finds hardly anyone willing to imitate him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2022, 09:27 AM

15,853 posts, read 6,313,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
But you don't believe that anyone outside yourself has spiritual authority, do you?
Not over me. Only over themselves.

Old 12-13-2022, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Not over me. Only over themselves.
Spiritual anarchy then

Old 12-13-2022, 09:31 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I think we all know the answer to that. People want to be told they're good. We have a world where kids have been getting participation trophies since age 4. They don't want to be told they have done anything wrong.
Popular, but moldy now, Internet claim. "We" don't all live in that world, and I suspect if that is really a thing, those 4-year-olds are now only 14.

My kid is 31, played softball and basketball, pretty much sucked at both, but she never got "participation trophies".

The other side of your claim, though, that everyone needs to be "reminded"--and always by those who don't ever seem to look inward, only at others--of what low-life, wrongful sinners they are, day in, day out, is exactly what is causing people to walk away from the dark negativity of churches that see them that way.

Old 12-13-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Spiritual anarchy then
Trust God. You can't thwart Him anyway.

Old 12-13-2022, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Trust God. You can't thwart Him anyway.
How do you think God works? He has always worked through humans.

Old 12-13-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
How do you think God works? He has always worked through humans.
I think He works thru the walk and not the talk. The people running around telling everyone they are special and know the way are the least special people out there.

Old 12-13-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The other side of your claim, though, that everyone needs to be "reminded"--and always by those who don't ever seem to look inward, only at others--of what low-life, wrongful sinners they are, day in, day out, is exactly what is causing people to walk away from the dark negativity of churches that see them that way.
Certainly there needs to be a balance.

I think on the whole, people more often have a tendency to overinflate their own "goodness" and minimize/trivialize their own "badness", rather than vice versa. But maybe it's just me who tends to do that

Old 12-13-2022, 09:44 AM

https://youtu.be/ScfUfsUlGro

Old 12-13-2022, 09:44 AM

Quote:
I think He works thru the walk and not the talk. The people running around telling everyone they are special and know the way are the least special people out there.
There's definitely truth in that. But just as familial and civil authority are legitimate things, so too is spiritual authority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity