Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 12:01 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,795,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
Just hang on Jerwade, you may just learn that it's impossible for you to love others as yourself without being grounded in the Gospel.
No it's not impossible. As a matter of fact, I have more compassion and empathy now that I don't practice Christianity. Christianity just made me judgey if people didn't believe like I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2021, 12:30 PM

4,483 posts, read 1,318,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
No it's not impossible. As a matter of fact, I have more compassion and empathy now that I don't practice Christianity. Christianity just made me judgey if people didn't believe like I did.
Anyone, saved or lost, can love SOME as they love themselves. It is a different story altogether to love thy neighbor as thyself in the sense He is speaking.

Jesus is speaking of having love for all men, whoever they may be, this is a Godly love only possible by the leading of the Holy Spirit.

If you think you can possess this love of yourself, you are sadly mistaken and deceived!

Old 01-31-2021, 12:39 PM

4,483 posts, read 1,318,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Have you not read 1 Corinthians 2?
I assume you are speaking of the "natural man receives not the things of the Spirit of God."

Meaning that those without the Spirit of God can learn nothing.

Is that what you are referring to?

Old 01-31-2021, 01:56 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,347,403 times
Quote:
Jesus is speaking of having love for all men, whoever they may be, this is a Godly love only possible by the leading of the Holy Spirit.
Wrong, again.

Old 01-31-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Anyone, saved or lost, can love SOME as they love themselves. It is a different story altogether to love thy neighbor as thyself in the sense He is speaking.

If you think you can possess this love of yourself, you are sadly mistaken and deceived!
Sadly, I don't see the love Jesus is speaking about, that of loving all men, exhibited by many who go by his name. I see far too many gleefully relish the idea that people will burn in hell for eternity because they don't see God in the same way. Talk about deceived and mistaken.

And I said what I said about having more empathy and compassion as a non-Christian because now I don't have to judge people for their beliefs. They are free to believe whatever they wish, as long as those beliefs don't cause harm to anyone or anything else. It's very freeing, actually.

Old 01-31-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I assume you are speaking of the "natural man receives not the things of the Spirit of God."

Meaning that those without the Spirit of God can learn nothing.

Is that what you are referring to?
How do you know I or anyone else on this forum doesn't have the spirit of God? I believe we are all connected by the spirit and source of life, God, whatever you may wish to call it. Demanding that that God spirit is the bible God is presumptuous.

Old 01-31-2021, 02:28 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,363,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
How do you know I or anyone else on this forum doesn't have the spirit of God? I believe we are all connected by the spirit and source of life, God, whatever you may wish to call it. Demanding that that God spirit is the bible God is presumptuous.
One of the fruits of the spirit is humility. You come across sometimes as brash and know-it-all in many of your posts. If you do have the Spirit, He'll let you know. If not, you'll just keep spouting off.

Old 01-31-2021, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
One of the fruits of the spirit is humility. You come across sometimes as brash and know-it-all in many of your posts. If you do have the Spirit, He'll let you know. If not, you'll just keep spouting off.
I can be brash especially when people start condemning people to hell or judging them in some other way. I'm far from a know-it-all, but I do have experience in the fundamental Christian arena and I remember it in a not altogether pleasant light. Guess I am guilty as charged and probably will continue to spout off here and there.

Last edited by trobesmom; 01-31-2021 at 03:26 PM..

Old 01-31-2021, 06:36 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,277,299 times
That God has always loved the world and in Christ God demonstrated that truth. He was never mad with you, never created eternal hell for you if you do not believe he loves you, so come in confidence to him who is abundantly available to be an ever present savior for you in all things.

You are the light of the world (Jesus' own words).

Old 01-31-2021, 07:25 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,777,841 times
The gospel summed up:

John 3:16

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
-Jesus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity