Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 06:32 PM

670 posts, read 815,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfoush21 View Post
A couple a months ago I found out the true names of the most high, and that I've been calling on the wrong names for so long. With my new found knowledge I told these names to my family, but they didn't really care. When I told them that we've been calling on false gods, they replied with the ever so famous
"GOD KNOWS MY HEART". So are they wrong for calling on pagan names.

Here are the names

IN Hebrew it's AHAYAH ASHER AHAYAH, which mean I AM THAT I AM. Which he told to Moses.

YASHAYA, which means my savior.

Most of us know Jesus isn't Christ's real name, nor YAHWEH(YHWH),Jehovah,Yah,JahEl Shaddai,Yeshua, and etc. Since The Most High isn't the Author of confusion I can only assume he only had one name for us to call on. So are they wrong for proclaiming pagan names, when they know its not his true name?

It more accurately translates to the following when taking into account the meaning of the Hebrew script the context of the message and how the Hebrew culture would understand it:
I shall be whom I shall be
Existence It's self has sent me unto you.

Source:
I Am - Chassidic Masters - Parsha

"Is it wrong to call on the name Jesus and God, when you know the true name?"
His name essentially is dependent upon the situation he finds himself in what he is doing, so his name in a situation which he is inactive would simply be Existence it's self.

The name of the deity is only as important as the individual makes it.
The divine names are important to Jews because of their covenant.
Christians aren't Jewish and never where, their beliefs are detached from Judaism and based on a different way of looking at the same scriptures.

To understand the bible, to truly understand the Old Testament one must Learn Hebrew, Jewish Culture, and how they view what it means. The New Testament is a Christian work so to understand it one must first understand the languages it was written in, the cultural context of the messages and what the intent of each author was when writing the book in question. What many seem to forget is that the bible is a library of works collected over a course of time and accepted as scripture by different groups of people who agreed with what they had to say. Other texts existed in ancient times but those are not in the Protestant Cannon which is the most widely available version of the bible.

If you really are concerned with this you must translate Yahweh's names, their meanings and such into each language you speak so that you can know how to address him.
For example:
I shall be whom I shall be:
according to Google translator comes out as this in Japanese:
"Watashi wa watashi ga shinakereba naranai hitodenakereba narana"

Though some will argue the Hebrew words are important:
Try meditating while chanting Psalms with Elohim(can mean God or gods) instead of the English word "god."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 06:41 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael17 View Post
It more accurately translates to the following when taking into account the meaning of the Hebrew script the context of the message and how the Hebrew culture would understand it:
I shall be whom I shall be
Existence It's self has sent me unto you.

Source:
I Am - Chassidic Masters - Parsha

"Is it wrong to call on the name Jesus and God, when you know the true name?"
His name essentially is dependent upon the situation he finds himself in what he is doing, so his name in a situation which he is inactive would simply be Existence it's self.

The name of the deity is only as important as the individual makes it.
The divine names are important to Jews because of their covenant.
Christians aren't Jewish and never where, their beliefs are detached from Judaism and based on a different way of looking at the same scriptures.

To understand the bible, to truly understand the Old Testament one must Learn Hebrew, Jewish Culture, and how they view what it means. The New Testament is a Christian work so to understand it one must first understand the languages it was written in, the cultural context of the messages and what the intent of each author was when writing the book in question. What many seem to forget is that the bible is a library of works collected over a course of time and accepted as scripture by different groups of people who agreed with what they had to say. Other texts existed in ancient times but those are not in the Protestant Cannon which is the most widely available version of the bible.

If you really are concerned with this you must translate Yahweh's names, their meanings and such into each language you speak so that you can know how to address him.
For example:
I shall be whom I shall be:
according to Google translator comes out as this in Japanese:
"Watashi wa watashi ga shinakereba naranai hitodenakereba narana"

Though some will argue the Hebrew words are important:
Try meditating while chanting Psalms with Elohim(can mean God or gods) instead of the English word "god."
Regarding the bolded part, that statement is riddled with inaccuracy, ignorance, or both. It is well established that it is IMPOSSIBLE for different groups to agree on what to say. Anyone with a modicum of interest in the subject can do a little research to see how this statement has been proven as utterly false.

The New Testament repeatedly quotes from the Old Testament. The canon is One and in agreement. Christ is YHVH God incarnate. He authenticates the Old Testament as God's Inspired Word.

"Elohim" is a plural Hebrew noun used in the Singular. It is evidence that the ONE God has plurality to Him and is evidence in the OT for the reality of the Trinity. One God manifested in Three "Persons".

Old 01-09-2014, 07:04 PM

670 posts, read 815,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post

It is well established that it is IMPOSSIBLE for different groups to agree on what to say.

Anyone with a modicum of interest in the subject can do a little research to see how this statement has been proven as utterly false.

The New Testament repeatedly quotes from the Old Testament. The canon is One and in agreement. Christ is YHVH God incarnate. He authenticates the Old Testament as God's Inspired Word.

"Elohim" is a plural Hebrew noun used in the Singular. It is evidence that the ONE God has plurality to Him and is evidence in the OT for the reality of the Trinity. One God manifested in Three "Persons".
Repeating doctrines won't change other peoples beliefs.

Can you support your claims? Do you have a proper understanding of Jewish culture and the Hebrew language? Do you have a proper understanding of Roman and Greek culture and can you read the original languages? Do you understand the original intent of each books message?

There are times when the New Testament authors make serious mistakes when attempting to quote from the Tanakh such as mistaking the word for maiden with the word for virgin.

English translations of the bible lack the same depth and meaning as the Hebrew script but the scripture is not enough an understanding of Jewish culture is needed as well.

If you can prove my claims false do so,
if you can not then why should we believe you?

If you would like I can go and find more translation errors and examples of how the different books all are different works, I can even try to find out when each book in the protestant cannon was first written for you to prove that it is a library of accepted works rather than a book with a single author.
Can you provide me citation for your own sources because I could for mine if I need to later?

I disagree with Sola Scriptura because it is a heresy against good spirituality.

Thank you.
May peace and love be with you, Always. In the name of the Queen of Heaven the true creator Amen.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:21 PM

78 posts, read 517,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post

Actually AHAYAH ASHER AHAYAH means I will be or shall be , what I will/shall be. It isn't a name, it is a description.

The "I AM THAT I AM" came from the Greek Septuagint and is a poor translation of the Hebrew,

God's name is in VS 15. In Hebrew YHWH and in English Jehovah.

BHT Exodus 3:15 wayyö´mer `ôd ´élöhîm ´el-möšè Kò|-tö´mar ´el-Bünê yiSrä´ël yhwh

ASV Exodus 3:15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, Jehovah, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.

Jesus said that God was his Father, so not the same Name at all.

Note what he told the Jews who only knew God as a singular being/Person.

KJV John 8:54 Jesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God:

Can't use English translations without checking them all and understanding what the Hebrew actually says/means.

Here is why.

In his notes on Exodus 3:14, Propp says: "The imperfect of *hyy* always refers to the future. If one could say 'I am that I am' in Hebrew at all, it would probably be through some such barbarous circumlocution as *anoki hu asher anoki hu*.' -- _The Anchor Bible: Exodus 1-18, A New Translation_ by William H. C. Propp, (Doubleday,
1999), pages 304, 305.

Such a translation [in English] as “I am what I am” appears to be ruled out completely by the fact that the verbs [in Hebrew] here are imperfects. “I am” is the normal translation of the Hebrew perfect, not an imperfect. ... The translation offered here relates this explanation of the name to covenants with the patriarchs. As such it was a basis of assurance concerning Yahweh’s presence and support. This thought is made explicit in the verse that follows, and the proper name Yahweh, the memorial name, is made synonymous with the description “I shall continue to be what I have always been.” This makes the description a restatement of Yahweh’s faithfulness an assurance that he will fulfill the covenants with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.—J. Wash Watt, Professor of Old Testament, New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, 1930-1968, A DistinctiveTranslation of Exodus With An Interpretative Outline, 1977, pp. 140–1.

The translation I am [in English] is doubly false: the tense is wrong, being present; and the idea is wrong, because am [in such an incorrect translation] is used in the sense of essential existence. All those interpretations which proceed upon the supposition that the word is a name of God as the self-existent, the absolute, of which the Septuagint’s ho ohn is the most conspicuous illustration, must be set aside ... the nature of the verb [in Hebrew] and the tense peremptorily forbid them.—A.B. Davidson, “The Theology of the Old Testament”, in The International Theological Library, 1920, p. 55.

Translations not slavishly following the KJV have:

1) “I-will-be-what-I-will-be”.—MO.

2) “I Will Become Whatsoever I please”—Rotherham added this footnote to Exodus 3:14 in his translation: “Hayah [to be” root of “ehyeh”] does not mean ‘to be essentially or ontologically [i.e. what He is basically or that He exists], but phenomenally [i.e., what He will do]. ... it seems that in the view of the writer ‘ehyeh and yahweh are the same: that God is ‘ehyeh ‘I will be’ when speaking of Himself, and yahweh’ when spoken of by others. What he will be is left unexpressed — He will be with them, helper, strengthener, deliverer.”Professor A.B. Davidson, in Hastings Bible Dictionary, Vol. II, [p.] 199.”

3) “I will be what I will be”.—BY.

4) “I will be that I will be”.—Leeser.

5) “I SHALL PROVE TO BE WHAT I SHALL PROVE TO BE”.—NWT.

6) “I shall continue to be what I have always been”.—J. Wash Watts.

7) “I will be what I will be”.—NEB.

8) “The meaning of the divine name (v. 12) is repeated and expanded, God’s freedom from and control of history are denoted by the phrase, “I will be what will be”.—Oxford Study Edition The New English Bible, footnote.

9) “I WILL BE WHAT I WILL BE”.—RSV, margin.

10) “I will be what I will be”.—NIV, margin.

11) “I will be what I will be”.—LB, margin.

12) “I will be what I will be (or become)”.—The Companion Bible, margin.

13) “I will be what I will be”.—I.M. Ruben, 1928.

14 ) “I will be what I will be”.—Simon Glazer, 1935.

15) “I will be what I will be”.—English Revised Version, 1881–1885, margin.

16) “I WILL BE WHAT I WILL BE”.—ASV, margin.

17) “Or, I WILL BE THAT I WILL BE.”—M.B. Glazebrook, D.D., Canon of Ely; THE LAYMAN’S OLD TESTANENT, Oxford University Press, 1913, margin.

18) “I will be what I will be”.—Revised English Bible, 1989, margin.

So calling Jesus ... Jesus, is correct in English. In Hebrew Yaheshua, Greek Iesous
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
The bible said LORD was sunstitued for YHWH or YHVH. SO YAH/YAHWEH/ YAHUWAH would be closer to the correct name and Yahoshuah/Yahushah/Yeshuah is Jesus name as it mean YAH is Salvation.

When Christians say LORD, they are not calling on BAAL. Other Gods are not real and have no power, so a false made up idol from people 5000 yrs ago cannot be worshiped unless people are physically and mentally making a effrt to call on something other than the 1 true creator of everything.

Always remember the bible NOWHERE says that God created other God, therefor other Gods are not real and have no powers, so a Christians cant worship or call on anything that doesnt exist.
Exodus 3:13-15 -And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? 14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.

John 8:58 Christ said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

Ezekiel 39:7 - So will I make my holy Name knowen in the midst of my people Israel, and I will not let them pollute my holy Name any more, and the heathen shall know that I am the Lord, the holy One in Israel

John 5:43- “I have come in the name of My Father you do not receive Me. If another comes in his own name, you will receive that one,”

1 Corinthians 8:5 For even if there are so-called gods whether in heaven or on earth, as indeed there are many gods and many lords,

Jehovah
Strong's Lexicon states

Jehovah - Baal
1167 ba`al from 1166; a master;
1180 Ba`aliy 1167 my master; Baali, a symbolical name for Jehovah:--Baali.
1168 Ba`al same as 1167; Baal, a Phoenician deity:--Baal,
1172 ba`alah feminine of 1167; a mistress:--that hath, mistress.

hovah
1943 hovah ho-vaw' another form for 1942; ruin:--mischief.
1942 havvah from 1933 desire; also ruin:--calamity, iniquity, mischief, mischievous (thing), naughtiness, naughty, noisome, perverse thing, substance, very wickedness.

lah/Yah/Jah - is an Egyptian moon God

Hayah
1961 hayah haw-yaw a primitive root (Compare 1933); to exist,

Ahayah is the Highest name of the highest Crown in the Kabbalah.

Ecclestiasticus 1:1 - For the same things uttered in Hebrew, and translated into another tongue, have not the same force in them: and not only these things, but the law itself, and the prophets, and the rest of the books, have no small difference, when they are spoken in their own language.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Jesus is the name that the Bible gives to Jesus. He has no other name in scripture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Correct, but we are speaking English so use Jesus. We don't use any other name in it's original language, say like Paulus, Moshe, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Yeshua, Yehoshua, Yahoshua, Joshua, Iesous, Iesu, Jesu, Jesus, Emmanuel,
does not matter at all !! The Shepherd knows His flock.
And plenty of people spoke Greek around Jesus.. so he certainly was called
"Iesous" aka English "J"esus (the letter J was not invented until about the 16th century)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
We do not have any manuscripts written in Hebrew with his name. The NT was written in Greek, and it was written as "Iosesus", as you said, or "Jesus". The apostles wrote in Greek, and they wrote it that way. I see no reason why we should call him anything else.
As you guys Said Ioseus is a Greek word, but Soter means Saviour in Greek not Ioseus.

Acts 4:12 - Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

ecclesiasticus 1:1 For the same things uttered in Hebrew, and translated into another tongue, have not the same force in them: and not only these things, but the law itself, and the prophets, and the rest of the books, have no small difference, when they are spoken in their own language.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorALly View Post
I'm afraid it's back to the drawing board for it looks like the Most High as Ahayah Asher Ahayah is out. Read on;
I found the website you got this from Yah,Elohim,Yahweh,El,and Adonai are also mentioned. Kabbalahist are not stupid people and neither is Satan. They know who the Most High is, and that his true name is Eheyeh (Ahayhah) thats why he's in the highest position. It also has the laws of Moses placed at the center of it, if you look at another pic.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:51 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,046,043 times
All of ExpatCA's posts have been excellently informed and very accurate. Azrael also had a few.

The rest? Lots of speculation and the same old tired arguments not based on what we know from both the Biblical text and Archaeology.

Ever single known god of the Ancient Near East had a major, or primary, PERSONAL name. Yahweh (as is the generally accepted and best-reasoned vocalization of the personal name of the god of the Israelites) was the personal name of the god of the Hebrew Bible. This is beyond dispute, as it appears thousands of times in the Hebrew Bible and can be found extra-Biblically as well. In addition to simple occurrences, it appears in theophoric names of individuals - which was quite common in the ANE.

The rest of the names are usually titles, appellatives and epithets - which are different from personal names. This is a pretty simple concept.

As for whether or not we should call on the name of Yahweh? Yes. He certainly spends a large amount of time in the Bible demanding that believers make his Name known to the rest of the world. How difficult of a concept is this? It's a command. If you follow him, then listen to him. Using excuses won't really cut it with him, I think. Honestly, I think most people are just adverse to change. This is why even the Jehovah Witnesses - with their focus on the importance of his name - refuse to use Yahweh, even though they admit in their book Insight Into the Scriptures that Jehovah is entirely wrong, wrong, wrong and that Yahweh is entirely the most likely vocalization of the name. They just realize that people become set in their ways, and it certainly wouldn't do to admit that one has been in error.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:34 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Actually, according to this site - Home [THE NAME OF GOD AS REVEALED IN EXODUS 3:14; An explanation of its meaning, by K J Cronin] there has not been a consensus of the correct meaning of ’eh·yeh ’ă·šer ’eh·yeh in 2300 years. In part one of this site it gives a comprehensive study on how Exodus 3:14 has been translated with regard to ’eh·yeh ’ă·šer ’eh·yeh in Jewish Bible Translations, the Talmud and Midrash, Medieval Jewish thought, the Kabbalah, Modern Jewish Philosophy, Contemporary Jewish interpretation. And after going into a textual Analysis of Exodus 3:13-15 the author concludes with;
In summary, therefore, the words Ehyeh asher Ehyeh of Exodus 3:14a are God's Self-identification to Moses, just as they are understood in the Septuagint, and the absolute Ehyeh of Exodus 3:14b is the Personal name of God and translates into English as I AM. The two Ehyeh of Ehyeh asher Ehyeh are identical in meaning, as proposed by Maimonides and Sarna, but they have complementary functions within the Self-identification, as explained above.
So if you want to play scholar versus scholar, go ahead. But you will have to do it with someone else. I side with 'I AM WHO I AM' as being correct in that God was stating His eternal and absolute self existence. If you don't agree, that's your choice.
It can't be I AM as it is the wrong tense. Simple Hebrew tells us that.

From the Greek Septuagint it would have to be Ho Own as that is what is ion the repetition and again means to exist and is not a name.

Even the KJV translators knew this as in VS 12 they translate the Hebrew and the Greek (Septuagint) as I will be.

KJV Exodus 3:12 And he said, Certainly I will be with thee;
NIV Exodus 3:12 And God said, "I will be with you.

The reason many want I AM is to support the Trinity by mistakenly using John 8:58 as a claim by Jesus. Again the grammar is against it (In both instances), but theology wants it.

Plus VS 15 of EX 3 tells us God's name AFTER a description. YHWH/Yehowah/Jehovah, etc.

Don't stop reading at VS 14. Finish the though that God was making, rather than ignoring what God clearly said.

To help it is like:

ASV Exodus 6:2 And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him, I am Jehovah:3 and I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, as God Almighty (Description); but by my name Jehovah (Name) I was not known to them.

Now God more fully reveals what he is like in that He will be anything that He needs to be to save them.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
All of ExpatCA's posts have been excellently informed and very accurate. Azrael also had a few.

The rest? Lots of speculation and the same old tired arguments not based on what we know from both the Biblical text and Archaeology.

Ever single known god of the Ancient Near East had a major, or primary, PERSONAL name. Yahweh (as is the generally accepted and best-reasoned vocalization of the personal name of the god of the Israelites) was the personal name of the god of the Hebrew Bible. This is beyond dispute, as it appears thousands of times in the Hebrew Bible and can be found extra-Biblically as well. In addition to simple occurrences, it appears in theophoric names of individuals - which was quite common in the ANE.

The rest of the names are usually titles, appellatives and epithets - which are different from personal names. This is a pretty simple concept.

As for whether or not we should call on the name of Yahweh? Yes. He certainly spends a large amount of time in the Bible demanding that believers make his Name known to the rest of the world. How difficult of a concept is this? It's a command. If you follow him, then listen to him. Using excuses won't really cut it with him, I think. Honestly, I think most people are just adverse to change. This is why even the Jehovah Witnesses - with their focus on the importance of his name - refuse to use Yahweh, even though they admit in their book Insight Into the Scriptures that Jehovah is entirely wrong, wrong, wrong and that Yahweh is entirely the most likely vocalization of the name. They just realize that people become set in their ways, and it certainly wouldn't do to admit that one has been in error.
Thank you.

I would suspect we better know and use God;s name, not just Jesus' name as Jesus made it pretty plain where that name ranks with him

KJV Matthew 6:9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. (Note not changed or ignored by halllowed.)

KJV John 17:26 And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfoush21 View Post
A

ecclesiasticus 1:1 For the same things uttered in Hebrew, and translated into another tongue, have not the same force in them: and not only these things, but the law itself, and the prophets, and the rest of the books, have no small difference, when they are spoken in their own language.
Uh,

KJV Ecclesiastes 1:1 The words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem.

Where did you come up with the above quote???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity