Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 09:15 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
However, you really know nothing about racism especially in the United States or Chicago. You are not black, certainly not African American, so you have no experience of how racism plays out.
Not only that, but there are people who live in the Chicago suburbs who really don't understand because they're so isolated and never lived in the city. How a poster in Sweden thinks he knows enough to school people in various forums on c-d boggles the mind.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:20 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Understanding racism and being subjected to it, or exposed to it first hand, are two completely different things. I think most adults understand what racism actually is without having to be exposed to it. You'd have to be living under a rock and have never attended school to not know what racism actually is considering it's taught about in most places in the US. However, what some people are ignorant to is where it exists, in what forms, etc because they don't have to deal with it in real life. Two completely different things though understanding versus being exposed to it first hand.

Where I grew up, most people weren't subjected to racism, but I was from time to time. However, my friends who weren't exposed to it had the same understanding of it that I did. On the other hand though, they weren't aware first hand of the psychological damage it can cause but I was, so that's one area it differs.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:25 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,343,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
There's also been some famous whites residing/having resided in Hyde Park, like the founder of Playboy. Obama's not from here, he only owns a home (mansion) there. Yes again, there's a strong AA population, and I'm sure the numbers are skewed from UC students, but it's still not "predominantly" black as a whole. It's one of the few "upscale" parts of Chicago that famous people and rich people like to buy from. There are also plenty of white families who live in Hyde Park, so it's definitely not just UC students screwing the numbers. It's a "diverse" neighborhood, which means blacks, whites, and Asians make up the populace. "Predominant" implies majority, which again, for the whole of HP, is entirely untrue.
CCrest182: Are we agreeing? Point taken about the diversity in HP. It's probably pointless to back-out UC students from the data because they are such an inextricable part of the community. Regardless, if you did, Hyde Park/South Kenwood/North Woodlawn would be undeniably majority-minority black. I was using the word predominant to mean "the strongest element present" and not necessarily an outright majority. I think I used the word appropriately, and I even recognized the large white minority.

My point to the OP is that while there are gross amounts of segregation in Chicago, it disproportionately affects the poor. He is successful and shouldn't be afraid of any of Chicago's wealthier neighborhoods, be they predominantly anything. For example, Lincoln Park is overwhelmingly white, but minority populations are present -- and I don't think those minorities suffer the hardships of racism that the OP is inquiring about. In fact, Lincoln Park's demographics and racial atmosphere probably mirror Bethesda very well. Chatham is good with CSU - and there are pockets of wealth extending all the way east to Stony Island Park/I-90 - but the area has less diversity.

Agree?

On racism in Chicago: People on this thread are idiots for trying to deny its existence, but the problem for the deniers may be that Chicago racism is not all that observable for white people (or even black people living in white neighborhoods, e.g. if the OP were to live in Lincoln Park). Beside the profiling performed by police (which is probably just as commonplace in Bethesda) there is little else the OP may notice. There is no spitting on, public name calling, mugging, vandalism or anything else of the tangible sort. I don't think the OP will be avoided in his neighborhood or workplace, and I don't think he will have any trouble making white friends. Most of the racism in Chicago is driven by an invisible hand that acts to deny non-whites equal opportunities -- be they housing- education- or job-related. Granted, there is still opportunity to be had for anybody growing up or living in Chicago, but it is ridiculous to suggest that someone growing up in the poorest black community has an equal opportunity for success as someone growing up in the poorest white community. The fact that we can even talk about "white communities" and "black communities" is evidence enough that racism exists. What drives the invisible hand and whether it is a conscience effort or results from the subconscious of the collective is up for debate. How to fix it is yet another debate. But there is no arguing its existence. Somewhere between the idiot deniers on this thread and the relevance-seeking college professor who chastises his students for their "white privilege" lies the truth.

PS to everyone: I hate the word thug now. Anybody else?

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 06-30-2014 at 02:54 AM..

Old 06-30-2014, 03:05 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,065,658 times
Well, actually, the simple answer to OP is that he'll be just fine. Regardless of what anyone on either side of this debate is saying, we can all agree on that, right? The OP shouldn't deny the job opportunity and not move to Chicago out of fear of racism. Because that would more than a little ridiculous... right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcrun19 View Post
If I move there, should I be concerned about my safety?
No.. That's ridiculous. The north side of Chicago isn't a small town in the deep south in the 1960s. It's a diverse area. And by the way, the whitest neighborhood in Chicago is actually located on the south side...

Everyone shut up and actually read the OP's post..

Old 06-30-2014, 03:07 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,343,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Well, actually, the simple answer to OP is that he'll be just fine. Regardless of what anyone on either side of this debate is saying, we can all agree on that, right? The OP shouldn't deny the job opportunity and not move to Chicago out of fear of racism. Because that would more than a little ridiculous... right?
The short of what I said. I agree.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:14 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,065,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
What is the point of asking? White people are just going to say it's not. Racism is over, remember? Strangely, the ones who will deny racism will do so while saying things like "I'm okay with black people, as long as they're not thugs." Uh, yeah.
Because he wasn't asking if racism exists or not. He knows it EXISTS. He was trying to figure out if he shouldn't take the job and if he shouldn't move to Chicago.

The OP is asking if he is not gonna be safe moving to Chicago.. That was the point of asking. Are you unsafe as a black woman living in Chicago? Before answering that question, remember that the context is safety from white people...

Old 06-30-2014, 07:52 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
I was waiting to throw my 2 cents in after the OP advises if he/she will be working in the city of N. Chicago or on the north side of Chicago.

I would love to provide useful information because I am a Black male who accepted a transfer to Chicago. I lived in Oak Park for 6 months Lakeview for 1 year and Hyde Park the remaining 4.5 years. So if you are inquiring about the suburb of N. Chicago, I have no experience at all nor do I know anyone who has.

Pay no mind to people who tell you it's about your clothes or grammar or as long as you don't do anything stupid race won't matter. The fact is race should never matter. Chicago is way too segregated is a fact. Any Black person who accept a transfer here needs to consider the racial climate before relocation.

I will wait to read specifics about location of job, neighborhood preferences and if the op has children etc before offering any advise.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:19 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
North Chicago is the name of a suburb that is NOT Chicago.. its almost up near Wisconsin border.

If you are going there, you will be about an hour and a half north of the city of Chicago. North Chicago is about 2-3 hours north of the farthest southern border of the city of Chicago (which is called "the south side). You will not experience a lot of what goes on in the city of Chicago from way up in North Chicago.

North Chicago is kinda rural. A lot of things will be different just because of it being rural.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:42 AM

166 posts, read 259,780 times
Sadly, you will defnitely face racism in the city. Especially when visiting very white, transplant areas like Lincoln Park, Lakeview, etc. You'll get the looks when you walk into a all white bar/restaurant. You'll hear the comments under their breath. "Really? Oh ok? Okaaay". Stupid subtle racist crap. And before people go off all crazy and say they arent all racist, I'm not saying all white people are racist. I'm saying racist is definitely a problem in chicago transplant hoods. I deal with it all of the time, thats how i know this. ALL of my minority friends have faced it and do so often here. Servers treating you like you're money is no good. Bouncers questioning whether you can come in to their bars/clubs simply because you're not white. You will definitely experience all of this. This is especially true if you are middle/upper middle class and hang out at all of the "in" restaurants/bars and areas of the city.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:09 PM

255 posts, read 583,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post

North Chicago is kinda rural. A lot of things will be different just because of it being rural.
North Chicago is NOT rural. You're not going to find farms or countryside there. It is very urban, and very dilapidated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago