Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2022, 01:35 PM

10,167 posts, read 7,826,936 times

Advertisements

Any recommendations preferably closer to Sville?

Is there a place where you can go to chop down your own that is cheaper than buying one already cut? I did a search for the Sville area and it seems those are very expensive also.

I think even Lowes and Home Depot are very high this year. I heard that trees have gone up at least 20% this year.

We usually get the Fraser Fir but would be willing to look at others.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by diddlydudette; 11-30-2022 at 02:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2022, 03:30 PM

455 posts, read 672,791 times
We were shocked by the prices of the trees this year. We just spent $90 for a very small tree in Mount Pleasant. We haven't had a tree this small since we were in College! This was at the Cardinal Tree lot by DSW. We usually get a very nice one at Whole Foods, but they were gone by the time we could get there.

Old 12-02-2022, 07:12 AM

253 posts, read 192,626 times
It's a nationwide issue. Inflation and all.

Old 12-02-2022, 09:46 AM

8,801 posts, read 5,104,195 times
Happy we kept out old artificial tree.....even those have sky rocked in price.

Old 12-02-2022, 03:12 PM

10,167 posts, read 7,826,936 times
Thanks. We finally found one for 70.00. That's pretty high considering we used to be able to get a nice one closer to 50.00. The 50.00 ones were so dinky and bare now. Prices of everything are crazy high. I guess we should feel lucky we didn't have to pay over 100.00 for a tree. I'm surprised we didn't. :-(

Last edited by diddlydudette; 12-02-2022 at 03:21 PM..

Old 12-03-2022, 02:27 AM

1,751 posts, read 886,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912904 View Post
It's a nationwide issue. Inflation and all.

Its not just inflation although that is part of it because transportation costs are so high.

The other problem was most of the country being in drought to extreme drought this year. It affected the trees growth and they lost some of the smaller ones. There was an article about a month or so about it.

I finally broke down and bought a good artificial one 2 years ago because at my age, it was getting harder to get a real tree off the car and into the stand straight by myself. I figure it will pay for itself by Christmas 2024.

Old 12-03-2022, 04:40 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,168,707 times
Despite a person wanting 5 or 6 “feet” no one says you must trade the arms and “legs” required to get them. That would take five or six legs and be a permanent handicap. /jk.

Actually growing and marketing Christmas trees takes more labor and risk than people realize. Buy the land, plant the seedlings a certain distance apart, keep fertilized and pest free, inspect and trim them on a schedule, mow the weeds around the trees, gently harvest after a few years of special care, gently transport to sales sites, let the public know where to buy, rent a sales lot and hire people to run it.

So as general growing costs, labor costs, transportation costs, and marketing costs go up unfortunately everything can get more expensive. Frustrating to our budgets but understandable.

This entry starts with me joking about the arm and a leg phrase being used so much these days but I am not criticizing the OP. Just providing a general explanation.

Old 12-04-2022, 07:22 AM

2,906 posts, read 1,885,084 times
For reference.... I live in western NY in a climate where multiple species of Christmas type pine trees can thrive. There are many Christmas tree farms around.

Even here if I go to the farm myself to cut it down they've been charging 10$ per foot. We just cut down a 7ft tree for $70. We did the labor and transportation.

If we didn't do that work and the Christmas tree farmer has to be the ones to cut them down and pay for trucking to a regional store or distributor and then they add their markups on to recoup their expenses the costs could easily double.

It stinks but it's inflation, cost of diesel, cost of fertilizer, cost of labor, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: