Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2021, 07:34 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,945,168 times

Advertisements

I note that the Robber Barons at Spectrum have raised the Cable/Internet Bill again this month. I'm looking for alternatives to TWC (The Worst Cable). Those TV channels are all a bunch of reruns anyway.

Does anybody use an OTA Antenna to pick up TV ? What channels can you receive ? Mounted on roof ?

Does WOW provide good internet and cable ?? Any other provider ??

Can you discontinue Spectrum for a year or two, and then come back to an Introductory Package Price ?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 10:48 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
I note that the Robber Barons at Spectrum have raised the Cable/Internet Bill again this month. I'm looking for alternatives to TWC (The Worst Cable). Those TV channels are all a bunch of reruns anyway.

Does anybody use an OTA Antenna to pick up TV ? What channels can you receive ? Mounted on roof ?

Does WOW provide good internet and cable ?? Any other provider ??

Can you discontinue Spectrum for a year or two, and then come back to an Introductory Package Price ?
Have you considered using spectrum (or whomever) just for internet, and streaming your tv?

Old 07-08-2021, 12:49 PM

3,590 posts, read 4,351,036 times
I've got a antenna setup as a backup to streaming, but am not in Summerville.

A really good resource is https://www.antennaweb.org/ Plug in your zipcode and it will tell you what kind of antenna is needed, what direction to point it to, and how far away from the broadcast source.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:15 PM

I think for streaming, I'd have to buy a new TV --I don't think my current one is 'smart' enough.

What channels can you recieve with the antenna setup ?? I'd probably be most interested in the 3 local network outlets plus PBS, and the alphabet News channels, especially CNBC. Maybe the History Channel.

Are these available on the antenna ??

Old 07-08-2021, 01:29 PM

5,159 posts, read 7,349,998 times
How far is Summerville from the Charleston viewing area? Are you too far to receive Columbia? Do you have both UHF and VHF signals? A good, easy, reliable antenna is Antop 800SBS. Other compact reliable choices may be Clearstream 4V/4MAX with an inline amp, or Televes Eclipse Mix. I am a bit unfamiliar with the Charleston viewing area, as I am more familiar with Florence/Myrtle Beach, Columbia, Greenville-Spartanburg, and Charlotte.

But good luck. I would go with an antenna for local service and cut the cable except for basic internet and streaming.

Old 07-08-2021, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
I think for streaming, I'd have to buy a new TV --I don't think my current one is 'smart' enough.

What channels can you recieve with the antenna setup ?? I'd probably be most interested in the 3 local network outlets plus PBS, and the alphabet News channels, especially CNBC. Maybe the History Channel.

Are these available on the antenna ??
You can add a Roku box or Amazon Firestick for streaming services.

Old 07-08-2021, 07:04 PM

3,590 posts, read 4,351,036 times
You can get a Roku, Apple TV, or Firestick like Tyler said and stream. We have YouTube TV which includes the local stations.

If you go to Antennaweb and put your zip code in, it will give you a list of the stations you can get. All the locals are there. Locals when getting them over the air have multiple "sub channels". So CBS actually has a total of 4 channels (19-1, 19-2,19-3, 19-4).

However, at 27 miles (either downtown Charleston, Mt. Pleasant, or Awendaw is where the towers are) you'd need a medium directional antenna with a pre-amp for some of them

Old 07-09-2021, 08:17 AM

Antennaweb shows my zipcode with only a few channels available using a 'blue' level antenna and pre-amp. Moving up to a 'yellw' level antenna adds PBS to the mix but not much else.

Probably not the solution I'm looking for.

Old 07-09-2021, 02:22 PM

Antennaweb often underestimates reception. Check rabbitears.info for more accurate appraisal. And even that may be a bit conservative. I get much stronger reception than predicted. The Antop 800SBS model is a good compact antenna with built in amplifier, and adjustable gain. Can be used indoors, outside or attic and performs more like a larger antenna.

Old 08-22-2021, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 776 times
We live in Summerville. Cut Spectrum CATV in 2017 and went to streaming AND installed an antenna. Antenna is about 8 ft. above roof and pointed towards Mt. Pleasant/Awendaw area. That area is where ALL major local station transmitters are. With a quality antenna that has a decent view of the horizon you can receive ALL local channels including the sub-channels. However, if the path to the transmitter sites are blocked with heavy trees you may have a problem. If you have a fairly modern TV you can receive all channels.

WOW Internet? We switched to WOW from Spectrum earlier this year. Got fed up with their price increases and poor signal problems. Cut our cost for 200/10 service almost in half. Overall it's been good.

Can't say for sure but after a year you probably could go back to Spectrum at into prices. Personally we're good with streaming, using YouTube TV and a few small add-on packages like Paramount+ and Discovery+. We're still saving $$.

Hope this helps.

Ken

https://www.city-data.com/forum/moz-...r-marker-1.png
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area