Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2024, 06:58 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

Reclusive and secretive Richard Simmons announced he has been recently diagnosed with skin cancer.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/03/20/e...ess/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 07:02 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,170,699 times
I feel bad for him. He helped a lot of people over the years before going into hiding. The treatments are painful. I hope it beats it.

Old 03-21-2024, 08:14 AM

33,313 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
I feel bad for him. He helped a lot of people over the years before going into hiding. The treatments are painful. I hope it beats it.
The link says they got all of it on the third try.

One of my relatives got it when she was in her 20s (in the 1950s), and didn't find whatever the treatment was at that time to be disruptive.

She lived to be 90.

Old 03-21-2024, 10:46 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
It's interesting that he is choosing to share this about his health when he has been more or less a recluse for quite a few years now. That said, I hope he is o.k. now.

Old 03-21-2024, 11:06 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
What makes me so sad is that for years, he championed those who felt the need to disappear and fade away because of the shame of their weight. He helped them to gain the confidence to live their life fully. And now he's the one who feels the need to hide. So heartbreaking!

Old 03-22-2024, 12:05 PM

18,116 posts, read 11,749,491 times
I've been following his daily stories on FB. This spot near the eye happened so many years ago. He is alive and well. Join his FB group or website for current information. He also has old videos on you tube that he shares daily with his posts on FB.

He is alive and healthy. Ignore that website and go to the resources.

Old 03-22-2024, 07:40 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
It's interesting that he is choosing to share this about his health when he has been more or less a recluse for quite a few years now. That said, I hope he is o.k. now.

He's.. Actually been interacting on social media with folks.. LIGHTLY.. over the past few months.

What I can tell you, based on what I read.. He got a Mohs Procedure. I'll talk more about that in a minute.

But, he has a basal cell carcinoma. If you're gonna get cancer.. That's the one, right there. It rarely, if ever, spreads.. Is slow growing.. I mean, if we gotta give cancer a compliment.. Hats off to basal cell carcinoma

You can read about it a bit here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal-cell_carcinoma and there's a link on there to the Mohs Procedure.

So.. I recall hearing that it was his forehead/right temple area. When skin cancer is on your face, or another area that might leave you disfigured, because.. Remember. It's getting cut out. With margins. If you have a pinprick basal cell.. Which, is what I had about 2 years ago on my nose. You kinda say.. Hell, cut it out. But, if it's bigger.. Scarring is a concern.

So, the Mohs procedure, which.. Yeah, I lost the "just cut it out" argument with my doctor, so that's what I had. Basically, they use a laser to burn off just the top layer of your skin. Then they take another layer off.. They take that layer and look at it to see if it has cancer cells. If not. You're done (This was my outcome).. Sounds like they had to take three slices off Richard. Most take two from what I've been told.

now.. What you do NOT want is melanoma. I had that cut off my wrist in October. That one I had been showing my dermatologist for the past three years and she said "Meh.. That's fine".. then after I almost demanded they cut it off, they agreed to biopsy and then all of a sudden it's "You need to get in here NOW!" .. Ahem.. yeah.. Still a touch annoyed at that one.

Melanoma is much more.. It can be nasty. The vast majority of cases.. They cut it out, all is well. But.. Some.. If it's left too long. It starts showing up elsewhere. Liver.. Lungs. And.. that's a problem. Big problem.

so.. Anyway.. My non-official diagnosis and medical history to maybe lend some insight into it.

Again.. Nothing but the best wishes. But.. Yeah.. I think a few months ago he was told he had skin cancer, it being basal cell, they were in no rush to get rid of it.. But.. It's no secret Richard's a bit neurotic.. To put it mildly. I think he probably got hit with a big 'ol bout of depression. And.. Interacting with a few folks.. Might just be the best medicine for that, for him.

Old 03-23-2024, 05:35 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,170,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
The link says they got all of it on the third try.

One of my relatives got it when she was in her 20s (in the 1950s), and didn't find whatever the treatment was at that time to be disruptive.

She lived to be 90.
My cousin didn't she kept fighting it and would not stop until it went into remission. She still went to checkups and eventually it came back again. Then she got it in the lyophobes. She still fought it every single time with chemo.

Just when she thought she was safe it came back with a vengeance and spread to her brain.

I would never consider it gone or be cured, ever after that.

But thanks for clarifying what I missed. I still don't believe they got it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities