Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 09:06 AM

753 posts, read 498,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Yeah but most 80 year olds I know are not all that healthy mentally and physically.

Yeah. Yeah. I know someone will inevitably say they know someone who is well into their 90's who are still sharp and spry but that is rare. Rare.

I know I should stop saying this because of the adage be careful what you wish for but honestly. I don't want to live past 70.
I agree with you.

My mother suffered mentally in ways I cannot even describe after her stroke at almost 70.

Take good care. Peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2024, 07:30 PM

5,609 posts, read 6,540,333 times
Quote:
Yeah but most 80 year olds I know are not all that healthy mentally and physically.

Yeah. Yeah. I know someone will inevitably say they know someone who is well into their 90's who are still sharp and spry but that is rare. Rare.

I know I should stop saying this because of the adage be careful what you wish for but honestly. I don't want to live past 70.

For me it's 80.

Old 05-09-2024, 07:11 PM

2,713 posts, read 1,216,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The idea with colonoscopy is to find precancerous polyps and remove them, thus preventing development of an actual cancer.
But wouldn't removing a polyp that is cancerous make it spread from the root? It is a living thing that wants to survive.

Old 05-09-2024, 07:44 PM

37,186 posts, read 41,398,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
But wouldn't removing a polyp that is cancerous make it spread from the root? It is a living thing that wants to survive.
The goal is to remove polyps before they become cancerous.

Very early cancers can be removed through the colonoscope. If examination of the excised tissue suggests the entire cancer was not removed, more extensive surgery may be indicated.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/types/...n-surgery.html

Old 05-10-2024, 02:32 AM

23,901 posts, read 33,675,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
I know this is almost a year old but Kristie Alley died from Colon cancer. She had to have been in pain and just ignored it or got the colonoscopy to late to fight it and win. That is if what they say is true that it is preventable and can be cured if caught early. I personally don't believe that even if caught early people can survive it. I say that because I know people who died from it anyway and one who specifically had rectum cancer.

Colon cancers are one of the more deadly cancers. After a person has surgery, chemo and radiation to eradicate it, sometimes there is still enough cancer that did not die off from treatment, which could end up as a "recurrence" at some point; then it is too late.

Back when Sandy pounded NJ, I met a gal on Facebook that was taking various donations to help people that needed it. Not long after meeting her, her hub was diagnosed with colon cancer. I told her about my hub having stage four tonsil cancer in 2009 that was only in the right tonsil plus 12 or so lymph nodes in his neck/ shoulder area, that we were going to Philadelphia to consult at Thomas Jefferson, Penn and Fox Chase. My hub liked the team of doctors at Jefferson that would treat him, he decided he did not want to also consult at Penn and Fox Chase.

I suggested that she takes him to Philadelphia. They did not take my advice to at least consult in Philly. It is not much farther then the trauma center in Camden that he went to for treatment. It was heart breaking when she posted on Facebook that his cancer returned about 6 months after being declared cancer free. His cancer spread very fast. He was gone within two months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancaisDeutsch View Post
I can't stop laughing about this.

A lot of older people I've spoken to over the years say that living in your 80s is okay as long as you are somewhat mobile, have your mind, and are not fed up with life.

My son had a great grandmother on his paternal side that died six days before her 108th birthday. At one point after she turned 100, she used to say that a person could live too long. She had buried both of her kids and baby sister.

Quote:

I'll be 60 in a few years. My dad passed at 69 from cancer, his mother passed around age 63 with his younger brother still alive at almost 85. My mothers side averages dying around age 84 which could be a fairly long time away for me.

I'm almost 60. It's starting to hit me that in 10 years, I'll be as old (69) as my dad was when he passed from chemical caused Leukemia. My hub is in his late 60's. His dad died from brain cancer at 72, my hubs mom died a week before her 85th birthday. MIL was pretty healthy at 84 until she took her first chemo dose which sent her to the ER, transferred to a nursing home where she was bedridden almost 3 months before she passed.

Old Today, 07:11 PM

2,713 posts, read 1,216,947 times
My first colonoscopy was when Farrah Fawcet died in 2006. I watched her TV documentary called Farrah's Story. She had every step she went through so people would know it is important to get screened. If I remember correctly she said people don't know how important it is to get the colonoscopy done. I watched it and saw how she fought it. Last I remember of that show was her with a sheet over her legs with her legs in the stirrups while she had the doctors hurting her. Then it was at the end stage she was in bed and they got a glimpse of her under the covers bare able to see her. She was in pain and so weak. That pushed me to do my first colonoscopy.

Fast forward to now My Doctor said he wants to know why my Iron was so low to dangerous level. I damn near had 0 for Iron in my last blood test results. I say its because I went a whole year without eating properly and I couldn't find any multivitamins with iron in them. So I went a year without Iron supplements or enough in my veggies that I practically stopped eating. I had so much diarrhea I feared eating my usual broccoli and spinach. But my Doctor said he wants to know why or rather what is going on and it's not just because of my diet and lack of iron in my food. Now I have to take Iron pills 3 times a week and the fiber powder in water 3 times a day so I don't get constipated from the Iron. Well I forgot the powder and started with the Iron Everyday until the blood tests revealed it was ok to go to 3 times a week with Iron but because I forgot to take that darn fiber powder I got a colon infection and ended up in the hospital. Luckily this time only for afew hours not like that time I had to stay 4 days a few years ago.

Last edited by staystill; Today at 07:23 PM.. Reason: Last paragraph to condense into one post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities