Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2022, 12:39 AM

5 posts, read 1,861 times

Advertisements

My cat needs a checkup because he has some spot in the eye and I'd like to take him to the doctor for that, but he's extremely, really aggressive when we go to the clinic, so it makes the trip difficult.

What methods can I employ to make the entire process much smoother?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2022, 01:06 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
Tell the vet ahead when you make the appointment. They could give your cat a tranquilizer and be prepared. A lot of cats don't like the vet, so they know what to do. I've seen muzzles, and they wrap them up in a towel. But the aggression you describe, a medicine given at home might be best.

Old 11-02-2022, 07:04 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,698,162 times
As NYC refugee stated, if the aggression is severe, then a sedative as well as letting the vet know, so that they understand that the cat has negative associations with the vet and can treat accordingly.

You can also reassure your cat by putting an article of clothing that smells like you in the carrier with them and, also, spraying the carrier with Feliway.

Lastly, use positive reinforcement so that your cat can develop positive associations with the vet. Once the cat is sedated/calm in the carrier, make sure you are petting and stroking to reassure and motivate while at the vet. You can also give treats before and after visits.

Old 11-02-2022, 07:41 AM

5,868 posts, read 11,930,600 times
I had one of those cats. He was fine at home but turned into one of those cats from Hell at the vet. There are some calming chews you can give him that will help somewhat - pet stores or Amazon will have them. I would also call the vet and ask what they recommend.

Old 11-02-2022, 10:16 AM

9,421 posts, read 11,173,162 times
You could also try Feliway spray. I use it on a small blanket I cover their carriers with but some people spray it onto the towel or whatever cloth you have in the carrier. Spray the material 10-20 minutes before kitty enters, per the can instructions. I don't know if it helps any, it can't hurt.

Good luck. At time marches on kitty should calm down as he gets more used to vet visits. I've yet to meet a cat who enjoyed going to the vet.

Hang in there. If he needs vet, he needs vet.

Old 11-03-2022, 01:30 PM

496 posts, read 326,752 times
I have two cats, with one of them being skittish. One tip I learned at the vet's office - when you pick up your cat, grab and control its front paws so they can't spread them out when you shove them in the carrier.

I had already left the carrier out in my living room, so they were used to seeing it. Fortunately, my skittish cat lets me pick him up. So, I positioned the carrier so it was easily accessible on my couch. I picked up my cat with my back to the carrier, so he couldn't see it. I slowly turned around towards the carrier so he wouldn't see it until the last second and I was able to get him in that way. Hopefully, you cat lets you pick it up.

I've heard about the blanket (cat burrito) method, but if I approached my cat with a blanket, it would bolt. It sure would not sit there passively while I attempt to wrap the blanket around it.

Old 11-05-2022, 08:54 AM

749 posts, read 581,006 times
Wear gloves and pick him up when he is sleepy or asleep. Put the carrier on its end on floor so you can drop her into it. You might wrap him in a good smelly towel first. No blanket. Snip the front claws if youre afraid.

Old 11-05-2022, 09:13 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
One of my previous cats was what the vet called "carrier aggressive". Otherwise, he was the sweetest cat ever. What worked for me was just putting him in a towel and holding him in my lap for the trip. Of course this won't work very well if you are driving yourself to the vet.

Old 11-05-2022, 09:20 AM

1,400 posts, read 766,854 times
If the spot in his eye doesn't seem to bother him or her, just leave her alone (let her be). It might be something she was born with. Some veterinarians will tell you your cat has some dread and expensive-to fix problem and expressing dire concern. Be careful please. I've seen it a lOt. $$$$$

Old 11-05-2022, 09:23 AM

1,434 posts, read 667,822 times
Ask your vet for Gabapentin. Your cat will still be awake but way more relaxed.
It has been a miracle for vet visits with one of our cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats