Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 06:57 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've seen this too often working in a nursing home, a resident found unresponsive, and we race to the room with the crash cart. And, even those who are DNR, Do Not Resuscitate! Yes, indeed, I've even seen that!

When the headcount in a nursing facility gets too low, and given the financial security consciousness of nurses, should anyone be surprised?

At the facility I work at, there's formula's. If the headcount goes from 98 to 90, then an nursing aide gets called off, canceled, and a nurse as well! If the headcount falls to 80, 70, and so on and so forth.
I work in nursing homes and I too have seen people who are DNR get resusitated, but I highly highly dispute it's due to not wanting an empty bed. It's due to poor communication and nurse's who don't know what the patient's status is because they get moved around all the time and have too many patients to know, and they just react without taking time to check the chart. Because of HIPAA they cannot display DNR info anywhere but the chart.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 06:11 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I work in nursing homes and I too have seen people who are DNR get resusitated, but I highly highly dispute it's due to not wanting an empty bed. It's due to poor communication and nurse's who don't know what the patient's status is because they get moved around all the time and have too many patients to know, and they just react without taking time to check the chart. Because of HIPAA they cannot display DNR info anywhere but the chart.

My husband recently was in a nursing home and patients there who were DNR wore bright red wristbands with that clearly marked DNR. Heck, I was a visitor and it was easy to see who had them and who did not have them. I wonder if they needed to give up some of their HIPAA rights to wear those wristbands.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:45 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,785,685 times
EMTs and nursing always seem to default to resuscitation.

I am a DNR/DNI. Have been for years. Last time I took the CPR for healthcare workers I asked the EMTs if I should get DNR tattooed on one side of my chest and DNI on the other! They said they'd still default to resuscitate unless those had been signed that day. Ugh.

I like the idea of bracelets. I'm sure patients had to sign off. I have a medical alert necklace that states my preferences.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:03 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
My husband recently was in a nursing home and patients there who were DNR wore bright red wristbands with that clearly marked DNR. Heck, I was a visitor and it was easy to see who had them and who did not have them. I wonder if they needed to give up some of their HIPAA rights to wear those wristbands.
I don't know, and I also don't know if perhaps there were different rules in the rehab rooms versus the LTC rooms (they are actually licensed differently, that's why even if a facility has empty beds, the rehab unit may still be full...they aren't allowed to put rehab patients in a LTC bed)

It does sound like a good idea. Btw this also happens in hospitals and in ambulances..if your papers aren't with you when you go, they will resusitate even if someone says "oh, she has a DNR".

Old 11-18-2015, 09:50 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,785,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't know, and I also don't know if perhaps there were different rules in the rehab rooms versus the LTC rooms (they are actually licensed differently, that's why even if a facility has empty beds, the rehab unit may still be full...they aren't allowed to put rehab patients in a LTC bed)
And then there are those facilities whose beds are all "dual certified." So nursing has to try to keep the regs regarding each person straight. During a crisis.

Oi!

Old 11-29-2015, 02:16 AM

161 posts, read 137,015 times
I work in a LTC/Rehab facility, and I've oftentimes wondered what became of those that were deemed troublemakers, or family members who created too many problems for the staff, they're sent to the Hospital and the facility they were in will no longer accept them. "Sorry, we're full!" Which is a useful line for saying: No way will we ever allow you back into this facility!

I've heard nurses say, after their admittance to a hospital: "Good luck to the family for finding a place for this person!"

I know one woman, a big trouble maker, after leaving our facility, could find no other facility in the city that would accept her. Luckily, a facility 130 miles away in St. George, UT accepted her, making it a long drive for the family to visit.

If I were an Administrator of one of these facilities, I would certainly want to get as much info on this potential resident as possible. Fall risk? She, or the family, filed a lawsuit in the last facility the resident was in, which is why that facility refuses to re-admit the person? Family members being too vigilant, forever pestering the staff? A resident that continually puts the call light on, taxing the staff?

More curiously, what happens in these smaller towns with just one nursing home and that nursing home, for whatever reason, rejects that potential resident?

I oftentimes read posts of the dumping of a family member in a nursing home as it's as easy as dumping an old TV at a recycling center, and I don't think the naïve realize its not that simple to do.

Has anyone run into this, of heard of it, someone unable to find a facility for their loved one, and what other options were there?

I have never heard of a person being kicked out of a Nursing Facility because they are a Fall Risk, family members being too vigilant and forever pestering staff; a resident continually putting on the call light and taxing staff, etc. That's what nursing homes are for and the staff at these places are trained for all of these situations.

The only time I've ever heard of someone getting kicked out of a Nursing Facility was for very unusual circumstances, such as being a menace towards other residents. In most cases though, staff is trained on how to deal with these people and will place them in an area so as to no longer be a problem. Elderly people often don't know what they're doing and may either be moved to an area where more staff is available for high fall risk patients, or may be put on a 15 minute check (as my dad was for a period of time, since he was trying to "self transport"), and they put him on 15 minute checks without moving him to a different room; as that can cause even more chaos and health issues for the resident.

There are State laws and I don't believe that a nursing facility can refuse a patient if they have rooms available. The only reason would be if the patient was on Medical Assistance and they didn't have any shared rooms open, as Medical Assistance doesn't cover independent rooms.

HOWEVER..if there ARE no shared rooms available, depending on the State you live in, a nursing facility may HAVE to take an individual in at the Title 19 (Medical Assistance) rate until a shared room DOES become available.

Yuo are correct that there are families that just dump family members in nursing facilities and never ever visit them again. There is a woman that lives in the facility my dad is at that hasn't been out of the facility (except for outside the facility for walks by staff, etc)/ nor seen her family in three years.

How very sad and what is wrong with people that they can't visit the ones you gave them birth, loved, and raised them. I really don't understand how these people sleep at night..seriously!!

Old 11-29-2015, 02:26 AM

161 posts, read 137,015 times
After reading all these nightmare stories about nursing facilities refusing to take their parents, I would think then that the next step would be to a higher care area of the local hospital that is much like a nursing facility; but with higher trained staff.

My dad was a tough case after his last seizure. After a stroke and several seizures, he just wasn't bouncing back from them like he used to. They wanted to put him in the higher care area of our local hospital until he settled down as he was extremely difficult to deal with. Again, he was trying to get out of bed on his own, giving staff a difficult time, refused to eat, and thus, needed to be in a facility where they could retrain him to a point.

With regular nursing facilities, depending on the State, they can't restrain a patient in any way, shape or form, so that may have been the reason why your family members were refused.

And yes, as the previous poster stated, Call the State Ombudsman as they can help you find the correct facility to care for your loved one in their current state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving