Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 09:55 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,809,524 times

Advertisements

I will tell you my experience, maybe it will help out some. About a month ago I was in a car accident. It was the other drivers fault and to make matters worse, he didnt own the truck and was in the process of buying it from a dealership. The body shop and insurance company both told me that if the damages were 75%+ of the value of my car they would consider it totaled. The trade in value of my car was a little over 4K and he did 5600 worth of damage. The insurance company gave me "fair market value" for mine which after getting my deductable back was nearly 8K. I did end up going to the ER with whiplash and still waiting the outcome of that.
Warning- I dont know if accident reports are public record there, but where I am they are. About a week after my accident, I got a slew of solicitations from attorneys and chiropractors with copies of my accident reports.
A month later, I still have issues with sleeping. There are times when I will have dreams of the truck coming right toward me. Even when I'm not. I still cry over it, thankful my kids were not with me and that I walked away with a small bruise.
Things will work out. Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 11:13 PM

630 posts, read 1,297,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
I will tell you my experience, maybe it will help out some. About a month ago I was in a car accident. It was the other drivers fault and to make matters worse, he didnt own the truck and was in the process of buying it from a dealership. The body shop and insurance company both told me that if the damages were 75%+ of the value of my car they would consider it totaled. The trade in value of my car was a little over 4K and he did 5600 worth of damage. The insurance company gave me "fair market value" for mine which after getting my deductable back was nearly 8K. I did end up going to the ER with whiplash and still waiting the outcome of that.
Warning- I dont know if accident reports are public record there, but where I am they are. About a week after my accident, I got a slew of solicitations from attorneys and chiropractors with copies of my accident reports.
A month later, I still have issues with sleeping. There are times when I will have dreams of the truck coming right toward me. Even when I'm not. I still cry over it, thankful my kids were not with me and that I walked away with a small bruise.
Things will work out. Best wishes.
aww jeez im glad you made it out ok, ive never been in that bad of an accident before, only a small frame to frame action with a truck and my old camaro i used to drive daily and that was pretty intense. Did your airbags go off and everything? glad your ok

to the op make sure youhave your truck mechanically checked out.Like driveshafts, suspension exc. make sure you have your frame checked to see if its bent or not and could cause alignment (steering) issues in the future. goodluck!

Old 11-19-2008, 11:18 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,809,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie333 View Post
aww jeez im glad you made it out ok, ive never been in that bad of an accident before, only a small frame to frame action with a truck and my old camaro i used to drive daily and that was pretty intense. Did your airbags go off and everything? glad your ok

to the op make sure youhave your truck mechanically checked out.Like driveshafts, suspension exc. make sure you have your frame checked to see if its bent or not and could cause alignment (steering) issues in the future. goodluck!
My airbags did not deploy. Thanks. I am amazed I walked away.

Thats a very good point about having it checked out mechanically. There can always be hidden damages.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
My airbags did not deploy. Thanks. I am amazed I walked away.

Thats a very good point about having it checked out mechanically. There can always be hidden damages.
wow, it makes a person tougher to go through something like that.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:41 AM

118 posts, read 519,344 times
My son was involved in an accident yesterday. Thankfully no one was hurt. A young lady turned in front of him and he did not react fast enough. The front end of his '96 Blazer is smashed, the radiator is punctured, and the hood is crumpled. The truck was his birthday gift, given to him the end of September. The accident happened in the high school parking lot. We were told by the School Resource Officer, a member of the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office, that calling the Sheriff's Office would be useless, as they would not respond. The high school is in an unincorporated part of town, therefore the city police will not respond either. We were instructed by the Officer to file an accident report on line. When using the on line filing option no actual report is filed. We were told that the school is private property, (I don't understand how when funded and maintained by tax payer's dollars, but that is another story.) thus the lack of response from the Sheriff's Office.
I wanted to take this experience and use it as a teaching tool. The boy turned 18 this year and tells me continually that he is an adult now. I believe he realized that he doesn't know quite as much as he thought. I walked him through the process from calling the tow truck to calling the insurance company. He did the actually talking. Life lessons are sometimes hard learned. Now the issue is, he is without a vehicle until he gets his fixed or buys something else. From the moment I arrived at the accident scene he has been hounding me for my truck. I don't drive much so his argument is that it isn't being used anyway. He had been allowed to drive my truck before he got his, on a limited basis, and feels entitled to do so again. I think that in keeping with the teaching aspect, he needs to learn that when you ruin something of your own you are without until you can replace it yourself. Opinions?

Old 11-20-2008, 05:44 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,722,653 times
Accidents are so simple these days. It's so easy that now adays when you are involved in an accident....just call their insurance company and wait for the check.

So, rest easy. What ever their insurance company doesn't cover....you can request that from the lady who is at fault.

Plus, your equipment may not be damaged....so you may can salvage some of it.

Life isn't fair...that's for sure.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie_2 View Post
My son was involved in an accident yesterday. Thankfully no one was hurt. A young lady turned in front of him and he did not react fast enough. The front end of his '96 Blazer is smashed, the radiator is punctured, and the hood is crumpled. The truck was his birthday gift, given to him the end of September. The accident happened in the high school parking lot. We were told by the School Resource Officer, a member of the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office, that calling the Sheriff's Office would be useless, as they would not respond. The high school is in an unincorporated part of town, therefore the city police will not respond either. We were instructed by the Officer to file an accident report on line. When using the on line filing option no actual report is filed. We were told that the school is private property, (I don't understand how when funded and maintained by tax payer's dollars, but that is another story.) thus the lack of response from the Sheriff's Office.
I wanted to take this experience and use it as a teaching tool. The boy turned 18 this year and tells me continually that he is an adult now. I believe he realized that he doesn't know quite as much as he thought. I walked him through the process from calling the tow truck to calling the insurance company. He did the actually talking. Life lessons are sometimes hard learned. Now the issue is, he is without a vehicle until he gets his fixed or buys something else. From the moment I arrived at the accident scene he has been hounding me for my truck. I don't drive much so his argument is that it isn't being used anyway. He had been allowed to drive my truck before he got his, on a limited basis, and feels entitled to do so again. I think that in keeping with the teaching aspect, he needs to learn that when you ruin something of your own you are without until you can replace it yourself. Opinions?
hey i used to live in jefferson county, cool! does yor son go to a private school? If it was on a public school that means its public property, no? DOesn't matter if the sherrifs office did not respond, they should have but anyways get it resolved through your insurance. You should be fine. Unless your son has to go anywhere i wouldn't let him borrow the car, he has friends right and yes he needs to learn what it feels like to be acountable for your own property and feel what its like to not have wheels. Ive been there and until your faced with that situation on your own, your brain will never recognize its important and there is no one there to take care of you but you, thats when you take things seriously.

good luck

Old 11-23-2008, 02:21 AM

259 posts, read 1,042,799 times
Get a police report ASAP, get all your receipts together showing the value of your vehicle and take her to Small Claims Court. You will need to prove the value if you take her to court, or if her insurance policy pays you, which they should. Same thing happened to me 2 1/2 hears and his ins. company paid me right away. You have a witness so it should not be a problem.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:57 AM

118 posts, read 519,344 times
I am trying to make him responsible for his situation. He asked to use the car to pick his girlfriend up from work. It was hard but I said no. She has her own car, did she not drive to work? Today he had to sing at a football game (choir) and I told him to find his own ride. I feel like a mean bean. I know these are situations where there are other ways for the kids to get around. If I was really the last resort I would makle sure it happened. He will learn but my heart is breaking fir him. He is so disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance