Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2024, 06:23 PM

10,633 posts, read 12,191,469 times

Advertisements

I know it's not -- but why do I feel like car insurance is extortion.

Philadelphia, 1 car, 2006 Acura RSX, 63-year-old female. No accidents in over 15 years easy, with my insurance company for over 20 years.

They say they've given me every discount they can.

Yeah, right....6 months.... $1,106.00.

I could switch companies -- and move all 3 of my policies. But for what, to save a few hundred dollars for one year to be jacked back up to close to where I'd be anyway. Not worth it. IMO.

Like I said....feels like extortion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2024, 07:29 PM

6,353 posts, read 4,962,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
But where could I go to get something that isn't 800 a month? Do I have to just keep looking or am I doomed to have to pay 1k a month just to own a car?
You can get a decent Crown Vic (1999 to 2011) in decent shape for $4000 to $5000.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/searc...=1~gallery~0~0

Insure it for liability, UM, UIM.

Put cash in the bank equivalent to the purchase price in case the car gets wrecked by an uninsured driver or stolen.

That's what I've done for the past 13 years. Saved a lot of money off my insurance cost.

Old 03-14-2024, 09:49 AM

14,450 posts, read 14,399,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I know it's not -- but why do I feel like car insurance is extortion.

Philadelphia, 1 car, 2006 Acura RSX, 63-year-old female. No accidents in over 15 years easy, with my insurance company for over 20 years.

They say they've given me every discount they can.

Yeah, right....6 months.... $1,106.00.

I could switch companies -- and move all 3 of my policies. But for what, to save a few hundred dollars for one year to be jacked back up to close to where I'd be anyway. Not worth it. IMO.

Like I said....feels like extortion.
I'd have to see your coverages, but frankly if you live in Philadelphia and your annual cost for insurance is 2 X $1106.00 or $2212.00 I don't think that's too much for car insurance. People in big cities don't get bargain rates for car insurance.

Old 03-20-2024, 10:42 AM

17,394 posts, read 12,354,642 times
Yeah another thing that pays off for living in the burbs. For our two vehicles it's under $100/mo.

Most wouldn't think about it but getting an auto insurance quote for places you are thinking of moving to can be a worthwhile factor.

Old 03-20-2024, 02:23 PM

14,450 posts, read 14,399,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yeah another thing that pays off for living in the burbs. For our two vehicles it's under $100/mo.

Most wouldn't think about it but getting an auto insurance quote for places you are thinking of moving to can be a worthwhile factor.
I completely agree. Here's another thing I bet most people don't do: When they buy a car they purchase the car before they compare it to the rates that are charged for other vehicles. A twenty-four year old guy may want a sports car, but I doubt many can afford the insurance premiums that go along with it.

Old 03-25-2024, 11:40 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,148,773 times
To add a bit of context, no I haven't driven without insurance. I only need a car on weekends because my daughter lives on Long Island and from September to March specifically, she does travel hockey which takes me onto Long Island, NJ, CT, PA etc. I would literally only use the car to pick her up on Saturday mornings and drop her off on Sunday nights all other times.

When I first moved here, I moved with her mom who had a car. I was working in the city and living on LI and we ended up moving to Queens with my 1 year old daughter. After we split, that's when it became a bit tougher but generally I used Zipcars to pick her up and bring her back. Those have gotten expensive as well. Used to pay about 9 bucks an hour, now it's about 20 bucks an hour at least.

Right now I use Tesla Rents which often I can get a full weekend for about 100 dollars plus charging. That often doubles or more during the summer since everyone is renting cars. I'm looking now at a cheap used car with the minimum insurance so if it gets stolen or destroyed I don't have much money into it.

And trust me, once my daughter graduates HS, I'm out of NYC. I am tired of the expense at this point but I just can't leave her at this point.

I feel like it's hard to look up insurance because I put in a car and they always think I own it. I never seem to know how to get a quote on a future vehicle. I don't mind paying 200 for insurance per month, but anything more is just not worth it.

Old 03-30-2024, 03:08 PM

6,353 posts, read 4,962,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Driving for 13 years and never having insurance?
Very common in NYC. My sister has spent her entire life in Manhattan without ever owning a car and rents occasionally for trips.

Old 03-31-2024, 06:48 AM

10,392 posts, read 6,968,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Very common in NYC. My sister has spent her entire life in Manhattan without ever owning a car and rents occasionally for trips.
Well yeah, if one doesn't own a car, then it makes perfect sense to not be insured with car insurance.

However, it might be a good idea for a general liability umbrella policy.....

Old 04-17-2024, 10:02 PM

91 posts, read 27,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
I have been been uninsured since I moved to Queens over 13 years ago. My daughter lives on LI and I have been renting cars various ways but it's getting to be too much especially over the summer. I want to lease a simple car like a Kia Forte but I'm faced with issues. I can't seem to get quotes that are even close to reasonable.

I get I have been uninsured so they don't know much and I live in a city so it could be higher. I also have a speeding ticket from a couple months ago which doesn't help. But where could I go to get something that isn't 800 a month? Do I have to just keep looking or am I doomed to have to pay 1k a month just to own a car?

try policygenius.com

Old 04-17-2024, 10:04 PM

91 posts, read 27,559 times
my son keeps our home address to save on insurance. he lives in Philly. We are in the Poconos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance