Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 10:06 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times

Advertisements

I pay $39 a month with Geico for Liability only on a 03 Chevy S10 truck. Massachusetts policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 06:47 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
100/300 full coverage, 1k medical payments, rental car coverage

$69 a month on 2010 toyota

deductible 100 coll, 0 comprehensive

Old 12-14-2012, 09:36 AM

170 posts, read 634,579 times
I pay $91 a month for full coverage on my Truck, My wifes SUV, Renters insurance and Homeowners insurance.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:12 AM

893 posts, read 1,324,573 times
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee $105/month

Which I believe is a reasonable price for a 23 year old. Im with Erie insurance. Funny because i owned a 2006 grand prix 2 years ago and it was $170/month, I was told the grand prix was considered a sport vehicle, or maybe because I was just 21 years old at the time.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:49 PM

161 posts, read 634,018 times
How you guys get insurance so cheap?

Old 12-14-2012, 04:46 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
every car is given a symbol, based on safety and statistics. This is used by the carriers to determine your rate. So a Ford Edge SE has an ISO of 5, a Ford Mustang Shelby is a 27. This number will be used to determine premium, obviously the higher ISO the more expensive (given all other factors the same). Sometimes the same model, but V6 vs V8 will make a difference.

Yes, that is about right for a good rating on a policy, vmaxnc. I'm an agent in NC, and most of my customers (not ones with tickets/ accidents, of course) are paying about that for full coverage, high limits, 2 cars. Of course, you can't really take a two car policy and divide by half, and expect to pay that, as a multi car discount is I would say about $200. But with no accidents/ tickets, assuming good credit, $1,100 is pretty high. I can also guarantee you that you are paying WAY too much with Nationwide on your home, they are one of the highest by far.

Velvet is right, Nationwide, State Farm, and All State will be the highest. When you go to them to get a quote, they each can only provide their own rates, as they are captive (and also can't offer you an HE7 in NC, which is the best policy). Find an independent agent, they will be able to compare rates with Erie, Travelers, Kemper, The Hartford, Safeco, Liberty Mutual, etc, etc all at one time, and give you the best quote. Carriers all have different tiering systems, so its all about finding the carrier that is the best fit. Some will put a higher value on credit, others on age, etc. I have one carrier that offers a multi car discount on the policy if one spouse has a company car, which makes it hard to compete for others regardless of the other circumstances. You just have to have an independent agent to check all these things for you (PM me if you'd like me to get you a quote).

Yes, no carrier will cover a 20+ year old roof. But you are loosing a big multi policy discount by having your policies in 2 different places. In my state, you can't even get your home covered with most carriers without having your auto there as well.
A couple years ago I called a few places and didn't find a significantly lower rate. I've been with Nationwide for years, and wasn't going to jump ship for a couple hundred bucks. I don't recall what my homeowners is, but I think it's somewhere around $500 a year for a $160K home.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:50 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
100/300 full coverage, 1k medical payments, rental car coverage

$69 a month on 2010 toyota

deductible 100 coll, 0 comprehensive
You obviously have a GREAT agent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
A couple years ago I called a few places and didn't find a significantly lower rate. I've been with Nationwide for years, and wasn't going to jump ship for a couple hundred bucks. I don't recall what my homeowners is, but I think it's somewhere around $500 a year for a $160K home.
Your right...$500 is not too bad (for the right coverage). From Nationwide I average my customers about a $600 savings. Home rates have gone up significantly across the board, thought, so I would take a special look at your new rates at renewal. Sometimes even rewriting within the same company saves you money.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:55 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I throw my groceries in the backseat of my Camaro!

Also, the insurance rate is partially based on having backseats or not, but also based on how powerful the car is. The Z28 model will be more expensive than the V6 model.
Did your hatchback lift pistons break too? Open that thing a dozen times with bad lift pistons and you do not need to go to the gym.

Yes, but not much more expensive. The difference without back seats is huge, like double.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:17 AM

799 posts, read 2,440,701 times
2010 Toyota Sienna
2012 Toyota Camry SE

35 yo male
33 yo female

Brazoria County, TX, bordering Harris County.

Just paid $480 for a six month policy. No tickets, etc for years, probably six or seven.

I just hammer my independent agent, and shop him against another independent agent every year or two. I switch agents every three years or so, or if one beats the other significantly to keep them on their toes.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:51 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Auto insurance varies from state to state based upon a variety of factors including local laws, number of uninsured drivers, weather and road conditions, and number of accidents in area. Louisiana has the highest rates in the country. One reason is our state government's lax laws on drinking and driving. How many other states have drive thru daquaris shops. Drive up to the window, make your order, and drive away with a big daquaris in hand. Other factors include the rising number of uninsured drivers, most are here illegally. My wife and I are over 40 and it cost us around $200 a month for full coverage for two cars along with some other useful options we hope we never need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance