Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 11:35 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,366,293 times

Advertisements

I was previously with Progressive and they were doing the same thing with me. Over the course of 2 years they steadily increased my premiums every 6 months for what seemed to be no reason. I didn't have any accidents or traffic citations during that time. Then I started shopping around and Geico was even more expensive. I ended up switching to AAA and have been happy since, they are much cheaper in comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 05:16 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,371,808 times
Thanks for the info on USAA. I am a vet and didn't even know about that company.
I have Geico now but next time my policy needs renewed I will check it out.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:40 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,743,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Thanks for the info on USAA. I am a vet and didn't even know about that company.
I have Geico now but next time my policy needs renewed I will check it out.
Why wait?

Get a quote from USAA and cancel Geico, they will refund any over payment you can apply that to the USAA policy.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:55 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,932,038 times
Insurance rates can also reflect a person's credit ratings. You can be A-1 at the bank and still be a less than ideal credit risk by being what scoring systems consider to be over-extended. The companies do this by looking at large groups of individuals and their findings have been that high risk debtors are usually higher risk drivers. But "usually" doesn't matter to them. If you fit into that category your rates will be determined in part by that category - along with your vehicle, age, marital status, driving record and geographic area.

I've been with the same small carrier for home and auto for 25 years and go through a local agent. We have 3 vehicles with liability only and pay about $750 a year. We have been good, but not perfect drivers. We still get good driver's discounts though. And yeah, we live in a rural area and our mortgage is our only debt... for about one - more - year (Wahoo!) Having our homeowners policy with them also gives us a 15% discount.

What I like best is that I know and trust my agent and the folks in his office. They'll call me if some unexpected change is about to occur with either policy. Being able to put a face on that service is really the best part about it.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:12 AM

140 posts, read 298,809 times
Location has a large affect on rates too, some areas can be four or five times as much for the same coverages. With most policies unless you have other drivers expressly exempt anyone you allow to drive your car is covered.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:29 AM

339 posts, read 1,287,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offsetdude View Post
Location has a large affect on rates too, some areas can be four or five times as much for the same coverages. With most policies unless you have other drivers expressly exempt anyone you allow to drive your car is covered.
Exactly...over the past 3 years, in the same car I've seen my rates decrease in 3 different states. Florida was the most expensive; excuse me INSANELY RIPOFF for car insurance. When I 1st bought my 96 Toyota, Geico (I didn't know any better) wanted like $331 or something for liability. I paid it because they were the cheapest of the main brands and I just wanted to hurry up and get the car. The premium was like $160 a month, and of course I couldn't afford it. It lapsed and they threatened to report me to the local DMV. After that, I ended up driving to another city 4 hours away who was able to register me for an insurance company that would cover me in my city.

Texas insurance was cheaper, but even that began going up. Now I live in Colorado and it's the cheapest that I've had so far. Progressive is also a bit affordable now with the name your own price option.

What I wish is for a law to say, "if you have purchased liability for a certain number of times/months (consecutively or non-consecutively) and never been in or caused an accident...That 1 day you could use that 'savings' (because its my money) to repair your car if you're ever in an accident.

I just recently re-insured my car with just liability last week because after my last policy expired in August, I didn't feel like paying anymore insurance companies. I was hit and run last year, the man only had liability. I had over $2,500 in damage and his insurance found a reason not to pay, and I only had liability. So all the 3 years I been buying liability...I never got a single penny back and my car still looks like a piece of ****. And I've never hit anyone's car so what the hell happened to all the money I gave them over the years for 'liability? To fix someone else's car in an accident that happened way out in Ohio? And why was my car not covered under his 'liability?" And WHY are the insurance companies able to cheap people out when the law requires us to maintain liability? What the F*** is the point when its going to be denied? So to all the people saying, "go get better insurance coverage"...well be glad to know that people like me are paying to fix your accidents. I can't wait for the day insurance companies start paying me back. Next time I get into an accident, hopefully not soon...all correspondence is going to be directed to an attorney. And the legislatures who enforce insurance law can all go to hell in a hand basket right along with the insurance adjusters and appraisers too...

Last edited by CruisingUSA; 02-22-2011 at 09:42 AM..

Old 02-22-2011, 09:52 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,539,645 times
So much bad information in here....just grossly factually incorrect stuff.

1) To the OP...shop around. Car insurance is insanely competitive, make them fight for your business.

2) Every state HIGHLY regulates auto insurance. Almost ALL of them require you to provide all of your rates and then approve them prior to you making any changes to them.

3) They can't offer teaser rates and then jack them up on you. In fact, most companies have various safe driver credits. What people are likely experiencing are rate changes for their type of vehicle or zip code or in some states even credit score. Ask your agent to explain all changes in your policy. I would remind people that there is INFLATION as well as changes to state laws that can change (up or down) the costs of insurance. So, in most cases rates are changed each year.

4) Cruising, you have some interesting ideas....like if I don't have any claims I get my money back but if I cause 100,000 in medical costs to someone well....the insurance company can pay it? Sorry you got hit and run. Insurance companies just can't refuse to pay and you know it. It's likely the guy was an a-hole that went uninsured and jacked you up and so why should the insurance company provide coverage for free?

It's just funny to hear all this ranting about a product that is incredibly regulated and where profit margins are a few cents.

P.S. Insurers RARELY ever leave a state, if they do it's a sign that something really really wrong is occurring.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:03 AM

339 posts, read 1,287,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
4) Cruising, you have some interesting ideas....like if I don't have any claims I get my money back but if I cause 100,000 in medical costs to someone well....the insurance company can pay it? Sorry you got hit and run. Insurance companies just can't refuse to pay and you know it. It's likely the guy was an a-hole that went uninsured and jacked you up and so why should the insurance company provide coverage for free?
The guy was insured. He gave me the information showing his policy was up-to date. I dealt with his insurance for about 3 months waiting for an answer. Their response was, "After our investigation, we don't provide coverage for anyone who does not have permission to drive vehicle". He told him someone else was driving when his car ran the stop sign.

What I'm saying is, I never been in or caused an accident with another vehicle. But I've paid for liability for 3 years. Why am I not entitled to any of that money back when I was unfairly denied due to someone else's drunken behavior?

Even if you did cause 100,000 in medical costs, if you continued to maintain your liability technically you should be covered. And someone who has taken accident courses and never caused an accident...should be trusted enough by insurance companies to get some of that liability money back. My question is, where has all that money gone? Where is it!? It's covering YOUR $100,000 accident that I was not even involved in! So I have to pay $90 a month charity to cover repairs and medical bills for an accident that I was never in!

The insurance company does not need your defense. Its people like me who are still at a loss because people like yourself let them get away with what they're doing. Insurance companies need to be monopolized by the government. 1 giant car insurance company. Almost like taxes. Pay the taxes (insurance) and then at the end of the year or policy...get a 'tax' return.

The worst part is, even after paying all that money each month...you still have to come up with a deductible. So either way, they are still getting money regardless.

Last edited by CruisingUSA; 02-22-2011 at 10:12 AM..

Old 02-22-2011, 10:32 AM

78,347 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
The guy was insured. He gave me the information showing his policy was up-to date. I dealt with his insurance for about 3 months waiting for an answer. Their response was, "After our investigation, we don't provide coverage for anyone who does not have permission to drive vehicle". He told him someone else was driving when his car ran the stop sign.

What I'm saying is, I never been in or caused an accident with another vehicle. But I've paid for liability for 3 years. Why am I not entitled to any of that money back when I was unfairly denied due to someone else's drunken behavior?

Even if you did cause 100,000 in medical costs, if you continued to maintain your liability technically you should be covered. And someone who has taken accident courses and never caused an accident...should be trusted enough by insurance companies to get some of that liability money back. My question is, where has all that money gone? Where is it!? It's covering YOUR $100,000 accident that I was not even involved in! So I have to pay $90 a month charity to cover repairs and medical bills for an accident that I was never in!

The insurance company does not need your defense. Its people like me who are still at a loss because people like yourself let them get away with what they're doing. Insurance companies need to be monopolized by the government. 1 giant car insurance company. Almost like taxes. Pay the taxes (insurance) and then at the end of the year or policy...get a 'tax' return.

The worst part is, even after paying all that money each month...you still have to come up with a deductible. So either way, they are still getting money regardless.
You do know that the purpose of insurance is to POOL risk right? Like life insurance....100 people pay in and in any given year maybe 1 person collects A LOT more than they paid in. (Well, their survivors do anyway. )

P.S. The government does damn near run the auto insurance market as it is. They require mandatory purchase of it, they approve all of the rates, they make the laws as to what minimum coverage, assigned risk pools etc. Heck there are several states where the state DOES have it's own auto insurer.

I'm sorry if you interpret my explanations as a defense of auto insurers, you can make your own mind up in those regards. To be blunt you don't even understand how insurance is a pool, you might want to get more information before drawing your conclusions but I'm not holding my breath.

You should file a complaint about the auto insurer if you feel they should have paid your claim. How do you know that guy was even driving? Did the police charge him with hit and run? That right there would be evidence in them paying your claim.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:28 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,338,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingUSA View Post
My question is, where has all that money gone? Where is it!? It's covering YOUR $100,000 accident that I was not even involved in! So I have to pay $90 a month charity to cover repairs and medical bills for an accident that I was never in!
That's the whole point of insurance!

....and people are annoyed at entitlement...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance